Tripoint troy signature grounding device

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
nice.

so similar to my impressions. obviously the bass horns are not covering most of the FR, but still a good result for zero dollars. just there for the finding. we are on to something. passive speakers like grounding.

Actually Cessaro bass horns cover wider range of frequency ... from 30hz to my xover point of 130hz. The dont go down way low like your bass towers but they are quick. The designer said they look a bit imposing but dont work like subs. My bass horns are backload. I wish I could have a frontload but space doesnt allow me. The amplification of the bass horns are inside the main speaker towers. Here is a picture of my bass horn.

20171002_153437_resized.jpg

Tang

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Actually Cessaro bass horns cover wider range of frequency ... from 30hz to my xover point of 130hz. The dont go down way low like your bass towers but they are quick. The designer said they look a bit imposing but dont work like subs. My bass horns are backload. I wish I could have a frontload but space doesnt allow me. The amplification of the bass horns are inside the main speaker towers. Here is a picture of my bass horn.

Tang

love the picture, Tang. and......the black sided A-820.....sexy!!!

beautiful room!

the broader FR and internal active amplification explains more the clarity effect of the grounding.

and so the Ayon's only have to go down to around 130hz in your set-up?

thanks,

Mike

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I am pretty happy with what I am using but just want to find out if there is a bang for the bucks wire and we all could save some money :).
Tang
Guys at AE are raving about Dalby Meda - cheapest Dalby grounding cable that could perhaps fit the bill. Don’t know how much it costs but I suspect it’s less than the Thor SE.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
and so the Ayon's only have to go down to around 130hz in your set-up?

Yes Mike. Ayon only to 130hz. Below that the Cessaro 1,000 watts x 2 take charge.

Kind regards,
Tang

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I took the ‘magic man’ this morning to Schiphol airport and so I am on my own again as regards working with the Tidal LA system. But before he left Miguel had another trick on his sleeve: three Emperor grounding cables. The Tidal LA’s have - as mentioned previously - dedicated grounding binding posts. The Emperor grounding cables are so incredible heavy and thick that you really need such a binding post in order to be able to hook up these ‘Anaconda’s’ (that is the nickname I gave them). The third Emperor grounding cable/Anaconda was connected to my Kondo preamp. Together with the Emperor ‘grounding box’ mk ii and the Empress filters they unleashed the full potential of the Tidal LA’s and these loudspeakers are even better than I could have imagined in my wildest audio dreams.

Spooky transparent and ultra refined to such a degree that Miguel - not only a man with a very, very sharp ear but also somebody who listened to several ‘over the top systems’ at various hifi shows in inter alia Hong Kong - was flabbergasted and completely floored. On our last evening I played for him a dsd256/dxd file (I have both formats available) of the third part - passacaglia - from Shostakovich’s first violin concerto (btw a beautiful recording of a hauntingly beautiful and agonized piece made by Bert van der Wolf’s Northstar company for Challenge records with the young Dutch Simone Lamsma as violinist) and the hairs on his arms (literally) raised and for the second time tears appeared in his eyes.

We had a memorable few days together and I can already conclude that I am sorely missing the three Emperor grounding cables. So if anybody is interested in one of more of my Thor SE grounding cables, please let me know. I suppose funds need to be raised in order to fund my next Emperor adventure. The combination of the Tidal LA’s and the top of line Tripoint components was too good to resist!

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Have seen that concerto live. He wrote it for Oistrakh to perform. Will try this recording out. What did you play it through?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Have seen that concerto live. He wrote it for Oistrakh to perform. Will try this recording out. What did you play it through?

It is a beautiful piece of music and the Passacaglia in particular is so moving. Played the file with the Lampi server and Tidal Camira dac. The days were so hectic there was no time to burn in the Pacific dac.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What's the retail for the tidal dac?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Btw, I forgot to mention that 5 Camira dacs have already (the Camira has been released only recently) landed in the UK 'beating' much higher priced dacs of (very well) established brands. Miguel is an analog guy who does not listen to digital at home because sofar the digital format had no appeal to him. Well, this might have changed after the last couple of days.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What' shis analog ?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I took the ‘magic man’ this morning to Schiphol airport and so I am on my own again as regards working with the Tidal LA system. But before he left Miguel had another trick on his sleeve: three Emperor grounding cables. The Tidal LA’s have - as mentioned previously - dedicated grounding binding posts. The Emperor grounding cables are so incredible heavy and thick that you really need such a binding post in order to be able to hook up these ‘Anaconda’s’ (that is the nickname I gave them). The third Emperor grounding cable/Anaconda was connected to my Kondo preamp. Together with the Emperor ‘grounding box’ mk ii and the Empress filters they unleashed the full potential of the Tidal LA’s and these loudspeakers are even better than I could have imagined in my wildest audio dreams.

i'm very happy for you Rudolf that the promise of the L.A.'s have been realized.....and then some. you have put so much effort into that. the Tidal set-up I heard at RMAF had an amazing level of information, easily the most of any system there. I did not spend as much time in that room as I would have liked to. but I did get a sense of what you are hearing, if just a sense. it was a whole different league than others I heard in Denver.

Spooky transparent and ultra refined to such a degree that Miguel - not only a man with a very, very sharp ear but also somebody who listened to several ‘over the top systems’ at various hifi shows in inter alia Hong Kong - was flabbergasted and completely floored. On our last evening I played for him a dsd256/dxd file (I have both formats available) of the third part - passacaglia - from Shostakovich’s first violin concerto (btw a beautiful recording of a hauntingly beautiful and agonized piece made by Bert van der Wolf’s Northstar company for Challenge records with the young Dutch Simone Lamsma as violinist) and the hairs on his arms (literally) raised and for the second time tears appeared in his eyes.

the Shostakovich Concerto dxd is downloading now.....thank you for the rec. hopefully the download won't hang up while i'm at work, and tonight I can listen to it.

added note; 3 gig download did finish in 35 minutes. will listen tonight.

We had a memorable few days together and I can already conclude that I am sorely missing the three Emperor grounding cables. So if anybody is interested in one of more of my Thor SE grounding cables, please let me know. I suppose funds need to be raised in order to fund my next Emperor adventure. The combination of the Tidal LA’s and the top of line Tripoint components was too good to resist!

and great feedback on the Emperor cables (which I know are beyond my reach), and wish I could afford to take the Thor's off your hands. too many iron's in the fire right now (as nice as those irons are). :)

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
i'm very happy for you Rudolf that the promise of the L.A.'s have been realized.....and then some. you have put so much effort into that. the Tidal set-up I heard at RMAF had an amazing level of information, easily the most of any system there. I did not spend as much time in that room as I would have liked to. but I did get a sense of what you are hearing, if just a sense. it was a whole different league than others I heard in Denver.

the Shostakovich Concerto dxd is downloading now.....thank you for the rec. hopefully the download won't hang up while i'm at work, and tonight I can listen to it.

and great feedback on the Emperor cables (which I know are beyond my reach), and wish I could afford to take the Thor's off your hands. too many iron's in the fire right now (as nice as those irons are). :)

Thanks for your very kind words, Mike, really appreciated.

May I take the liberty to advise you the following: try to get Miguel over to your beautiful barn/listening room in order to let him get the best out of all your Tripoint components (if this very busy ‘magic man’ is willing to come over he can inform you what such a visit involves).

He can demonstrate the profound effects of adding these Anaconda’s - sorry: Emperor ground cables - to your audio system. Even if you cannot afford them (for now?), such a visit will be very interesting and very rewarding. It will show you what your system is (really) capable of. Yesterday evening - the last day of Miguel’s visit - a friend and very experienced audiophile visited us so that we could share what Miguel had accomplished during his stay. You should have seen the face of my friend when Miguel connected and after a while disconnected his Emperor ground from my Kondo preamp: total disbelief.

Btw, the Emperor ground cables that were hooked up to my LA’s were prototype versions while the Emperor ground cable that was connected to the Kondo preamp is the current version.

Only so much could be done in these quite hectic days. We only connected the prototype Emperor ground cables to the dedicated LA’s grounding posts that are situated at the back of these loudspeakers closely to the LA’s xovers.

Miguel put with his Tripoint company grounding on the audio map but his techniques are so much more sophisticated than only grounding. This audio frontrunner deserves much more credit that he actually receives but I suppose that is the (general) faith of a frontrunner. Really sad because I am convinced that adding a Troy elite will elevate the level of every audio system significantly.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Btw, Miguel was also very impressed with the Beethoven piano concertos nos. 4&5 by Hannes Minnaar and Jan Willem de Vriend, also a Bert van der Wolf recording for Challenge Classics. I played regularly the second part - andante con moto - of the fourth piano concerto. An exquisite recording.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Btw, Miguel was also very impressed with the Beethoven piano concertos nos. 4&5 by Hannes Minnaar and Jan Willem de Vriend, also a Bert van der Wolf recording for Challenge Classics. I played regularly the second part - andante con moto - of the fourth piano concerto. An exquisite recording.

I've got all those dxd's of the Beethoven Symphonies and Concertos. very nice.

that 2nd movement of the 4th is special.

one of the first things I select when I need my mind to calm.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

loved it!!!

listened all the way through, and that 3rd part (listened to it 3 times) was just as you said.........

the passacaglia - from Shostakovich’s first violin concerto (btw a beautiful recording of a hauntingly beautiful and agonized piece made by Bert van der Wolf’s Northstar company for Challenge records with the young Dutch Simone Lamsma as violinist)and the hairs on his arms (literally) raised and for the second time tears appeared in his eyes.

......the play back and forth between the violin and the kettle drum (it was last night and that is what I recall) was delicious.

the super low noise floor and degree of air from the dxd file (likely the Quad dsd would be similar) made for a memorable listen. this is digital as it can be. and the Tripoint gear is doing it's considerable part in the sensational emotional connection.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
loved it!!!

listened all the way through, and that 3rd part (listened to it 3 times) was just as you said.........

......the play back and forth between the violin and the kettle drum (it was last night and that is what I recall) was delicious.

the super low noise floor and degree of air from the dxd file (likely the Quad dsd would be similar) made for a memorable listen. this is digital as it can be. and the Tripoint gear is doing it's considerable part in the sensational emotional connection.

Good to hear you also loved this gorgeous piece of music. Every time I play this passacaglia it touches my soul (deeply). And Bert van der Wolf’s dxd/dsd 256 files are a guarantee for great sound.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Grounding loudspeakers is a relatively unknown phenomenon in our audio world, let alone that a loudspeaker manufacturer makes grounding an integral part of his loudspeaker concept. Jorn Janczak of Tidal Audio did and went at great length to shield the xover chambers against all kind of nasty noises. Combining a state of the art grounding grounding cable - and just to put things in (the right) perspective: Miguel informed me that building his Emperor grounding cables is actually the most difficult Tripoint work he is doing and building one of these ‘Anaconda’s’ costs him three weeks - with a state of the art loudspeaker that incorporates special grounding measures was something I had never experienced before and is furthermore something that I will never forget.

In short I heard the following:
- The music reproduction became more liquid and smooth.
- More (perceived) speed.
- The tonality became clearly more beautiful and fuller.
- More serinity/calmness.
- The noise floor dropped and as a consequence the transparency increased and I heard more inner detail.
- The focussing increased.
- The solidity became better, so there was more authority or command.

Al these as aspects resulted in an audio reproduction that I had never experienced before.

Lastly, I leave one aspect unmentioned for now because it will undoubtedly be the most controversial in the eyes of all of you, that is our WBF members. As a non technie I do not know if there is any valid technical explanation for it - although I have an idea - but I suppose this last aspect is one that belongs in the category: (only) hearing is believing.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing