Untitled Document

Page 1 of 130 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripoint troy signature grounding device

Tripoint troy signature grounding device

Let me first introduce myself briefly:
    - I have been a music lover and audiophile (in this order) for about 30 years
    - I listen mainly to classical music
    - I visit live concerts on a regular basis and love the velvet sound of the Concertgebouw Orchestra in "het concertgebouw" in Amsterdam in particular
    - I have no financial interest in any of the brands I will mention below
    - I trust my ears and the ears of a few audio friends and do not believe the current measurement tools are able to explain (in full) what we are hearing and experiencing when listening to music
    - I have assembled a couple of high quality audio systems
    - One of these systems consists of: Genesis 1.1 loudspeakers, Kondo m1000 mk i preamp (I actually prefer the Kondo m1000 mk i (fully tube power supply) to the Kondo m1000 mk ii (I am not one of the persons who believes that a mark ii version or a new product is necessarily better than the mk i or the previous product), Kondo Gakuoh Push pull power amps (with Western Electric 300b tubes), Dcs Scarlatti four box cd player, Walker Black Diamond mk iii turntable, Lyra Olympos cartridge, Lyra connoisseur 4.2 se phonostage, Kimber black pearl loudspeaker cables and various Kondo interconnects
    - I have been working on this system intensively with a friend and technician for about six years. For example, we completely reworked the Genesis 1.1 loudspeakers by inter alia replacing all crossover components by Duelund silver cast capicitors. Furthermore we isolated all hifi components from the Genesis loudspeakers (these speakers are going very low you know) by creating an 'inland' that is not connected to the floor on which the two midrange and two woofer towers are standing. As a last example I mention that my racks are resting on (active isolating) devices from Halcyonics tributing a lot to the quality of the sound.
    - Hopefully you forgive me (my arrogance) when I state that this system sounds pretty impressive. For those who are interested I refer to the comments made by Lloyd on this forum after he visited me about four months ago.
    - Although the system was performing on a high level I have always been intrigued by the concept of grounding and therefore I recently made the jump and ordered the Tripoint Troy signature and one Tripoint Thor grounding cable. These have been inserted in my system for about one and half month now.
    - Was I impressed by what the Tripoint Troy signature was doing? You bet I was! However, I am not going to use the familiar audiophile phrases like eg a lower noise floor (I heard less noise before I started playing!), better (perceived?) dynamics (probably due to the lower noise floor), a deeper soundstage, etc. You can find a technical description of what the Tripoint Troy signaturen is doing on Tripoint Audio website
    - No, much more important is to state that it enhanced the musicality in such a way that everythings sounds more natural, more fluid and more pure. It gives you clearly the impression that the mechanical reproductio of the music becomes less obvious.
    - in this regard it resembled somewhat my experie

Continuing my story:
    - In is this regard it resembled somewhat my experience with the Halcyonics devices: more naturalness and purity. The highest honor I can bestow on audio equipment because I want to be able to listen to music for many hours without any fatigue.
    - Will it work in every system? I cannot tell as I am not a technician and can only share the experiences in my system with you. In my set up I use 2x2 power amps, that is two dedicated Genesis bass amps and the aforementioned Gakuoh amps. In a system using more than two power amps, certainly if you are using different breeds (solid state for the bass and tubes for the mids and highs), there is always the risk of some 'crosstalk' between the various power amps. The Troy signature is apparently very effective in 'killing' the noise in my set up.
    - That said I live in a relative small town. In larger cities with (much?) more EMI/RFI the Troy signature might be even more effective. Furthermore, quite a number of audiophiles all over the world are using the Troy and Troy signature devices. Some of them play with state of the art systems. You seldom see the Troy coming up for sale. Only recently a few used Troys were offered on the internet because the owners wanted to upgrade to the Troy signature. It is highly unlikely that all these audiophiles living all over the world using different audio systems are fooling themselves by inserting the Troy and Troy signatures in their systems, would't you think?
    - Should you try grounding your own audio system? Well, that is off course not for me to decide. I can only say that I am extremely happy that I did. I am still amazed what it is doing in my system, a system that I thought was more or less fully 'tweaked out'.
    - I know that there are quite a few members who are sceptical about grounding their audio devices. To them I would say: do yourself a favor and just listen to it with an open mind. You might very well be in for a very pleasant surprise and greater audio happiness in the future.
    - Lastly, a few members have expressed their views in other posts on the current (ridiculous or even obscene) pricing of high end components. I fully understand what they are saying and off course everybody is free to express his of her opinion about these retail prices. A retail price of usd 14k for the Troy signature is not something we as audiophiles can simply ignore. However, experiencing what the Troy signature is doing in my system and taking into account the impeccable workmanship (the unit looks absolutely stunning, in particular the wood is very impressive) please allow me to remark the following to people who have never heard the Troy signature: try to listen to it in your own system or another audio set up before you pass any judgments.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    Welcome to WBF Audiocrack

I can only aspire to own such a superb setup as you have in my dreams, and that's ok. Would you happen to have any pictures of your system to share with us? We are audiophiles, but greatly enthusiastic of visuals.
    I am gathering from your first post that you are in The Netherlands? If so, a double welcome then from one Dutchman to another!
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

thanks for writing and welcome to wbf ! I'd like to see pics also...you seem to have quite a system! congratulations !

Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    thanks for writing and welcome to wbf ! I'd like to see pics also...you seem to have quite a system! congratulations !
    Although I am not new to the whatsbestforum, thanks very much for the welcome, both from you and Johnny Vinyl. The question regarding pictures: I do not want to dissappoint you but for the moment I rather concentrate on the topic of this thread: the Tripoint Troy signatur grounding device. I hope audiophiles who who experimented with grounding their systems will share their thought with us.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    I went to the website and read their blurb. I thought this was a passive device so why is there a power cord? The ad says the following:

"No transformers, circuit boards, caps, op-amps, ferrites, coils, chips, plastics, LED’s or degrading parts that would create any electronic signature to the sound"

I want to state that I do believe in creating a star ground system for your components. Ampex Roger on our forum motivated me to try this for my system. I don't need an African Bubinga wooden enclosure with laser engraved metal plates on the top and front of the box though. I just used a chunk of copper bus bar with some holes drilled and tapped for screws and ran a 10 gauge wire from each of my components to the bus bar and connected them with spade lugs to the bus bar. I ran one ground wire from the bus bar to the center screw of the outlet where my preamp is plugged in. My noise floor has never been lower and I'm quite happy with this arrangement. It's not as sexy looking as a polished Bubinga box with "classified" parts, but it does a damn fine job.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Ampex Roger on our forum motivated me to try this for my system....................................I just used a chunk of copper bus bar with some holes drilled and tapped for screws and ran a 10 gauge wire from each of my components to the bus bar and connected them with spade lugs to the bus bar. I ran one ground wire from the bus bar to the center screw of the outlet where my preamp is plugged in. My noise floor has never been lower and I'm quite happy with this arrangement. It's not as sexy looking as a polished Bubinga box with "classified" parts, but it does a damn fine job.
    nice. I might just try that myself.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    I went to the website and read their blurb. I thought this was a passive device so why is there a power cord? The ad says the following:

"No transformers, circuit boards, caps, op-amps, ferrites, coils, chips, plastics, LED’s or degrading parts that would create any electronic signature to the sound"
    I think that the power cord on the Tripoint units simply captures the ground, the actual live A/C circuit is dead ended.

that could be a superior way for a solid ground connection and part of it's effectiveness. in my system considering the Equi=tech balanced isolation transformer that ground circuit is likely the best way to go for that issue.

I want to state that I do believe in creating a star ground system for your components. Ampex Roger on our forum motivated me to try this for my system. I don't need an African Bubinga wooden enclosure with laser engraved metal plates on the top and front of the box though. I just used a chunk of copper bus bar with some holes drilled and tapped for screws and ran a 10 gauge wire from each of my components to the bus bar and connected them with spade lugs to the bus bar. I ran one ground wire from the bus bar to the center screw of the outlet where my preamp is plugged in. My noise floor has never been lower and I'm quite happy with this arrangement. It's not as sexy looking as a polished Bubinga box with "classified" parts, but it does a damn fine job.
    I think Enid described doing that in TAS many years ago. Know I did that 20 (?) years ago but got away from it. Worked for me at the time.

Could be Mike. That would make sense.

Page 1 of 130 123456789101151101 ... LastLast