Magico introduced the Q series subwoofers

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If I am not mistaken these speakers are made by www.higherfi.com owner Chris Moon's company.

interesting...did not realize that was his company.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I am more than impressed by the Magico Q speakers, I have heard, namely the Q3,Q5 and Q7. These speakers are IMHO are among the best I have heard, with the Q7, likely the **** ;) I must however say that the notion of a $30,000 subwoofer doesn't go well with me. especially when one starts comparing it with lesser priced offerings. For starters one can acquire twenty read ... Read it again 20! of the JL mentioned in the article or 8 Seaton Submersive or a pair of JL Audio Gotham or 4 Paradigm Sub 2 or ... Enough subwoofer to have them working within their most linear range, to trump the output and response from any single subwoofer. One could also build an Infinite Baffle subwoofer (or more) fit it with 8 or 12 TC Sounds 18" LM Ultra 5400 subs, 12,000 watts or more of amplification and to sweeten the deal, add one rotary sub and cover the whole sub-spectrum from 1 Hz to 100 Hz with less than 1% THD and output in the 140 dB .. enough to induce motion sickness or destroy house foundations with less than 1% distortion :D

It simply doesn't compute to me ... YMMV

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
to put things in perspective, the Krell Master reference subwoofer is 28k. Also 2 15" drivers. Aluminum construction, but 1" vs. 2" thickness for the Qsub-15, and without the complex Q skeleton structure. 2x smaller amp also. But it costs 6k more than the 22k Qsub-15.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Evidently Magico believes that in the wake of their recent success, they'll find enough buyers at $30k to make it worth pricing many other buyers out of this product. For now. My guess is six months from now, they'll be releasing a new product, with very similar performance, at a much lower price point, hopefully to get a bigger chunk of the market on the momentum from this product. Of course they could cut this price in half and still have a pretty bad price/performance ratio. We'll see.

Tim

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
and your point is :confused:
I am just trying to put some facts on the table, I know it is not very popular on this forum :rolleyes:
My point is that there is a market for such subs (even if personally I have no interest, I don't like subs in stereo systems), and that the pricing is not absurd when you see what you get against competing products.

We can also take the Wilson Thor Hammer as a reference: at 21.5k if I remember well, you get a sub with:
- similar weight,
- same drivers size as the Qsub-15
- phenolic resin, which is far from having the rigidity of aluminum.
- no amp.
so maybe Magico did price too low their subs ;-)

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Evidently Magico believes that in the wake of their recent success, they'll find enough buyers at $30k to make it worth pricing many other buyers out of this product. For now. My guess is six months from now, they'll be releasing a new product, with very similar performance, at a much lower price point, hopefully to get a bigger chunk of the market on the momentum from this product. Of course they could cut this price in half and still have a pretty bad price/performance ratio. We'll see.

Tim
Not sure. To cut price in half, they would have to build it in resin or MDF and they wouldn't be able to use a 90lbs heavy driver... and then it wouldn't be a Magico.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I am just trying to put some facts on the table, I know it is not very popular on this forum :rolleyes:
My point is that there is a market for such subs (even if personally I have no interest, I don't like subs in stereo systems), and that the pricing is not absurd when you see what you get against competing products.

We can also take the Wilson Thor Hammer as a reference: at 21.5k if I remember well, you get a sub with:
- similar weight,
- no amp.

Haha True! And might I add the thing looks badass cool:p !

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
there are loads of kinds of aluminium , from soft to the 7000 series as mentioned ,
other factors are welding ablity anodisation ability
resin based has its own strong points ,like neutral /pleasant internal sound of the cabinet its also very hard /non resonant .
alu better ? who says so stereo , facts please .
resin based half amount cheaper ? please give me the company name that does it for that price?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I just posted the image of the new Magico subwoofer in another thread, but figured out it may be more revelant here:

Talk about size !

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
it still looks quite boxy ,what i found out ,is that there are far more companies working with alu and only very few if any can deliver a thick resin based housing,at least in holland

thats why it takes me so long

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

- similar weight,
- no amp.

You are implying that because the Magico sub is so much more $$$ than the JL Audio subs or other subs that it must be better. I respectfully disagree as I also do WRT the Thor, the Krell etc

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I would like to see an eventual listening/measurement comparison between the Magico Q-Sub18 ($36,000) and the Paradigm Reference Signature SUB 2 Subwoofer (four times less: $9,000). ...And the Krell Master Reference Subwoofer too ($28,000).

There are other excellent subs in the $1,000 to $2,000 range; and in my book that makes them a much better value.
I don't have to mention them; you guys already know most of them.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
i personally have never heard excellent sub integration, either it was slower /lagging behind ,or not in phase, even the multi $ kharma sub i found lagging behind the main system .
so q7 yes sub no:D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
i personally have never heard excellent sub integration, either it was slower /lagging behind ,or not in phase, even the multi $ kharma sub i found lagging behind the main system .
so q7 yes sub no:D

I was sailing on the same boat than you for many many years; then came SubEQ with FIR and IIR filters to take care of that sailing boat of mine.
And with judicious multiple subs positioning of course, to complement and balance things even further.
Today I cruise the oceans on cruise ships. ...Not from that Italian company though.

Subwoofers is an art. ...And worth exploring and perfecting; definitely! ...When you experienced the balanced power you cannot live without few of them.
You know what they say about women ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing