Scaena install

zermatt

Oct 5, 2010
wash dc
So i was wondering how the speakers are sounding now that you had for a while? Did you play around with different speaker cables. I am going to pulling the trigger on these in next few weeks. I am using the IRS Beta's, I had them since late 80's.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I still think they're phenomenal and just want to listen all the time. I think by nature of being a line array, having no xover in front of all those mid drivers, and then the enclosure itself, they do some things that few, if any, box speakers can do. That's not the whole story on them obviously, but I really can't imagine someone not being happy with the sound. Feel free to ask more ?s if you want here or via PM.

As for cables, I've tried a few things from my Supra Swords to some very expensive Sunny cable and Wireworld stuff that was lent to me and noticed little if any difference. I did not find that hyper-expensive stuff to be at all worthwhile. I just got some fairly inexpensive all silver cable that was recommended to me for the Scaenas and will try that soon, but for now, the Supras are in and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I still think they're phenomenal and just want to listen all the time. I think by nature of being a line array, having no xover in front of all those mid drivers, and then the enclosure itself, they do some things that few, if any, box speakers can do. That's not the whole story on them obviously, but I really can't imagine someone not being happy with the sound. Feel free to ask more ?s if you want here or via PM.

As for cables, I've tried a few things from my Supra Swords to some very expensive Sunny cable and Wireworld stuff that was lent to me and noticed little if any difference. I did not find that hyper-expensive stuff to be at all worthwhile. I just got some fairly inexpensive all silver cable that was recommended to me for the Scaenas and will try that soon, but for now, the Supras are in and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Rob I too use Supra Sword ICs between my preamp and amp. It is a 9 meter run and absolutely no difference between it and far more expensive Transparent MM2 ICs

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Lee --

Adjusted the slopes slightly in the digital crossover and am very happy. My system is in slight flux now, but when it settles, I'll measure with XTZ and try some adjustments based on what that tells me. Frankly though, if I did nothing at this point I'd be more than fine. Haven't tried to figure out the RC function of the xover yet or talked to Scaena about it -- down the road I'll give it a look too.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Rob I too use Supra Sword ICs between my preamp and amp. It is a 9 meter run and absolutely no difference between it and far more expensive Transparent MM2 ICs

Steve, the Wireworlds I auditioned were 7K (not even top of the line!) and the Sunnys around 3 or 4K I think. The Supras were well under a grand. It's a dead and buried horse, but I just don't see the value in the super expensive stuff. I truly don't know what other people are hearing. Only differences I've really heard were when a cable was obviously voiced or poorly designed. Because they are inexpensive, I'll try the solid silver stuff a trusted friend recommends, but I have zero interest in experimenting in cables past that.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

You are turning "objective" on us .. Steve .. It could be because of your system lack of resolution ....:p

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Rob,

Have you tried the Scaena's with the Ref110?
BTW, do you pass the signal from the preamplifier through the crossover before entering the ARC power amplifiers, or does it go direct?

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I've only used them w/the 210s. The Scaenas are designed so the woofers and towers are fed separately. One output of the Ref 5 goes to the 210s which then feed the towers, another Ref 5 output goes to the digital crossover which then feeds the sub amp which powers the woofers.

BTW, Scaena has new woofer designs that I should have in my house very soon. The drivers are monsters.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I hope you are still enjoying the speaker. Any "Long-term test" observations about this speaker? Are you still blindly in love? What does it do great? What are its weaknesses?

Apparently it showed extremely well at the Axpona show in Atlanta.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Still very, very happy. I really haven't IDd any weaknesses, and I'm still blown away by the depth of the image, dynamics (macro and micro), and transparency. The music sounds and feels very alive. They've got some real magic about them, and I really haven't experienced any tradeoffs yet.

Should have the new woofers on Sat. - the challenge with the system is integrating them with the towers via the digital xover. They've reworked and improved the software -- hopefully I'll be able to comment on that next week.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hello Bob,

These speakers intrigue me. I understand the Scaena woofers are active, i.e., self-amplified and the crossover is digital...very interesting. I hope to hear these speakers at some point -- congrats :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'll be waiting for amp reviews in PFO from you using your main rig Bob :)

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Hello Bob,

These speakers intrigue me. I understand the Scaena woofers are active, i.e., self-amplified and the crossover is digital...very interesting. I hope to hear these speakers at some point -- congrats :D

C1 --worth the effort to find a pair to listen to IMO.

Jack -- a DAC review with some comparisons will be up in the next week. Just got the EERA Tentation btw.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Excellent :) Let me know what you think.

The Sceana's shared ancestry with Pipedreams would suggest that they are easy to drive. Any idea from Sceana, just how little is needed? I didn't see any sensitivity and impedance figures on their website last time I looked. I imagine 200 wpc of ARC tube power is more than enough. Hearing them in CES with 150 wpc of BAT amplification was plenty. I was thinking along the lines of 90 to 100 wpc.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Should have the new woofers on Sat. - the challenge with the system is integrating them with the towers via the digital xover. They've reworked and improved the software -- hopefully I'll be able to comment on that next week.

Now that you have had them some time, how are these new woofers, Rblnr? Also, one thing I don't understand is why most box speakers contain the woofers inside the box while the Scaena keep them apart? Is it a different design, or just the same thing with a longer wire? A placement issue?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing