Scaena install

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
More than 4 years from the last post in this thread. Apart from the Avalon Saga (to be introduced this month....), Scaena (I think 3.4 would suit my room just fine) speakers intrigues me the most. Any updates from the last post on current digital crossover and power amps that drive subs? What power amps is Scaena using now? Is Pass crossover still the way to go?

It seems Scaena is more US oriented firm as I never see their speakers on audio shows in Europe or elsewhere. That is a bit strange for a producer of such a caliber don't you think?

Hi --

I helped setup and worked the room with them at the Axpona show this spring (and others as well), and for the last couple of years we've been using the Boemer Audio digital preamp and room correction preamp, but the Scaena passive xover is still employed in this setup. Subs are powered by the Crown XLS series, typically the 2000 model. The speakers won Best of Show by several writers at Axpona including this one:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/axpona-2016/

Yes, Scaena typically skips the overseas shows but has a lot of speakers out there all over the world. For more info you can contact me or Scaena directly. Not trying to solicit you, just providing an avenue for more info should you want it.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Thanks,

Can you explain in more detail what exactly is Scaena's "Fully Digital active bass management system"?

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Yes, this is where the Boemer Audio processer (in our show systems and others) does most of the heavy lifting, crossing over the signal to the subs before the amps -- an active system with proprietary room correction if desired. FYI, the Legacy (speakers) Wavelet is a rebadged Boemer unit with some customization for their speakers.

Other external xovers to the subs can be used as well ( I use a miniDSP Dirac device in my demo system). The passive xover referred to in an earlier post is solely for the tweeters/mids in the tower. In all cases the xover to the bass drivers comes before the amps in the signal chain and is therefore active.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Hope this answered your ?s btw. They are unique speakers in many ways.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Yes, thank you.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Yes, thank you.

Great, any other ?s let me know or I can put you in touch w/Scaena. One note that I don't believe is on the website, there are two levels of tweeters, the planars (excellent), and the Raven ribbons (peerless IMO).

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Great, any other ?s let me know or I can put you in touch w/Scaena. One note that I don't believe is on the website, there are two levels of tweeters, the planars (excellent), and the Raven ribbons (peerless IMO).
Hello

I took over the Scaena 3.2 speaker owned by Zermatt which will be delivered around Jan 10th.

It will be nice if I can get any input from you how to run it.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Hi — what kind of info are you looking for?

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
If you have the 12" 'talking drum' subs, cross over to them higher that you might think; I'd start at 120hz. It takes experimentation due to setup, room, taste, etc.

A wide range of amps can work from the mains: ARC (the Ref 75SE works really well), Hegel for solid state are some favorites of mine. The owner uses solid state amps made by High Fidelity Cables.

For the subs, the default are the Crown XLS series. Efficient, quiet, w/a ton of power and a crossover built-in. Something that has been a home run for me is using an Anthem STR preamp for the crossover, and I use its built-in room correction for the subs only. Works amazingly well to integrate the mains/subs and tame some bass anomalies. I never use RC on the mains.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
If you have the 12" 'talking drum' subs, cross over to them higher that you might think; I'd start at 120hz. It takes experimentation due to setup, room, taste, etc.

A wide range of amps can work from the mains: ARC (the Ref 75SE works really well), Hegel for solid state are some favorites of mine. The owner uses solid state amps made by High Fidelity Cables.

For the subs, the default are the Crown XLS series. Efficient, quiet, w/a ton of power and a crossover built-in. Something that has been a home run for me is using an Anthem STR preamp for the crossover, and I use its built-in room correction for the subs only. Works amazingly well to integrate the mains/subs and tame some bass anomalies. I never use RC on the mains.
I will use 18 inch subs so I will crossover at either 90 or 100hz using Lyngdorf 2170 digital crossover.

I plan to use Line Magnetic 508 SET (48 watts) for main and XLS2502 for subs.

thanks a lot Bob for your advice.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I will use 18 inch subs so I will crossover at either 90 or 100hz using Lyngdorf 2170 digital crossover.

I plan to use Line Magnetic 508 SET (48 watts) for main and XLS2502 for subs.

thanks a lot Bob for your advice.

Looks like you’re in great shape. The mains don’t require much power and should be really sweet and dimensional w/your amp. Experiment with the crossover.

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Looks like you’re in great shape. The mains don’t require much power and should be really sweet and dimensional w/your amp. Experiment with the crossover.
It will be delivered to my home next week.

Assembly will be also lot of work.

I need to repair the elevator to the third floor listening room to carry the heavy equipment.

Reactions: christoph

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
One more question!

Is it better to have two XlS 2502 bridged mono to run two 18 inch subwoofers?

Or one stereo XLS 2502 will be enough to drive two 18 inch subwoofers?

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Have fun.........

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Have fun.........
I had got delivery of it.

But now I had got headache.

First my listening room is in the third floor.

Thus it is not easy to carry 120 lb subwoofers to there.

I have an elevator in my house but it had been out of order for last 6 months.

I may have to call service on it or I may ask my neighbor to help me to move it.

Another thing is that after 5 weeks out of town, my Lansche 4.1 sounds very musical with nuanced details and pretty wide and deep soundstage.

I had listened to Scaena 3.2 about 10 years ago in CES 2010 in Las Vegas.

I had pulled the trigger of used Scaena 3.2 on a whim to get more dynamic sound than Lansche 4.1 although Lansche is also pretty good.

Then I have to make decision whether I will set up another system on the second floor or to replace Lansche 4.1 on the third floor.

If I try to set up second system on the second floor in main living room, I have to get permission from my wife.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
My kind neighbor helped me to move two 120lb 18inch subwoofers to third floor listening room.

Since it is a lot of work to assemble the main tower, I had tried 18 inch Scaena subwoofers with Lansche 4.1 speaker as a first step.

Using digital crossover of Lyngdorf 2170, Lansche go above 36 hz up and Scaena subwoofers below 45hz down.

It seems to work.

Lansche appears to sound more transparent and powerful with two 18 inch subwoofers.

Bach's Tocata and Fuge organ sounds clean and deep without boom.

20200113_220159.jpg

I am going to assemble main unit of Scaena speaker around Thursday and put it in place of Lansche 4.1.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
81ySN3LlxNL._SL1200_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FVZHCW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am playing this music which is very useful to test soundstage. dynamics and deep bass of 2 channel speaker system or headphone.

Wow Lansche 4.1 with Scaena 18 inch subwoofers do wonder with clean and deep bass.

I may not need to have main unit of Scaena 3.2.

I could just add two 18 inch subwoofers to Lansche 4.1.

Now I realize that top quality subwoofers can do wonder to your systems.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing