Scaena install

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Thought this might be of interest, installed my new Scaena speakers recently -- some quick snaps:

DSC_0257..jpg
a single 'pod' -- the enclosure very thick glass

DSC_0258..jpg
the base is made from Silestone-like material, it is cut w/a water jet. the crossover is in the enclosure w/the Scaena logo

DSC_0261..jpg
pods are stacked/attached to the center column that houses the tweeters. elastomer balls between isolate the pods

DSC_0276..jpg
fully stacked

DSC_0279..jpg
in the room, LF driver next to each ARC amp. the sub amp (L) and digital crossover (R - tough to see) sit under the amps.

The programmable DSP crossover needs just a bit of tweaking and the RC function of it has not be utilized yet, but these things sound phenomenal.

Last edited:

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Thought this might be of interest, installed my new Scaena speakers recently -- some quick snaps:

View attachment 477
a single 'pod' -- the enclosure very thick glass

View attachment 478
the base is made from Silestone-like material, it is cut w/a water jet. the crossover is in the enclosure w/the Scaena logo

View attachment 479
pods are stacked/attached to the center column that houses the tweeters. elastomer balls between isolate the pods

View attachment 480
fully stacked

View attachment 485
in the room, LF driver next to each ARC amp. the sub amp (L) and digital crossover (R - tough to see) sit under the amps.

The programmable DSP crossover needs just a bit of tweaking and the RC function of it has not be utilized yet, but these things sound phenomenal. Took a lot of looking to find something I felt

The Scaena was the best sound at the Florida Audio Show a few months ago. I found myself back in the room multiple times and the last day when traffic was low I spent a couple of hours just listening and talking with the guys from the factory.

Scaena are very easy to fall in love with, especially for me since my Dali Megaline is basically the same idea, a stack of low frequency drivers with dipole ribbons. The digital bass management for the Scaena would be a blessing, both performance wise and cost wise.

I recently added twin JL Audio subs to my Dali and after a lot of adjustment have them working perfectly. The guys from Scaena had the demo in Florida dialed in pretty perfect the first day and that was a bad room compared to mine. In other words, the integration of the outboard low frequency seems well thought out and much easier to achieve excellence without the fuss.

If I were speaker shopping today Scaena would be in the top few on my list. Congratulations and thanks for sharing images.

Reactions: hogen

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Scaena are very easy to fall in love with, especially for me since my Dali Megaline is basically the same idea, a stack of low frequency drivers with dipole ribbons.

Albert, FYI -- the ribbons are forward firing only, and the stack handles a wide range going from mid-treble to around 100hz or so IIRC where they begin to rolloff. I have the computer program to tweak the digital XO but have gotten to that yet.

I've got a pair of JL f113s too. Don't need them at all w/the Scaenas, but may keep the around for HT LFE duty.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Who did the install? They are really wonderful speakers!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Excellent work my firend.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Thanks. Not getting much sleep these last couple of weeks -- lots of late nights listening. As you might expect too of tremendously dynamic and transparent speakers, they're sensational for HT as well. It's a bit of luck too that my surrounds, 4x Sunfire CRM2s use a very similar ribbon driver. The surroundfield via my new Classe SSP800 is really seamless and enveloping.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Who did the install? They are really wonderful speakers!

Robert mentioned this in part in an earlier thread :) George Bischoff was coming -- though not sure who else was there?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I was wondering if my friend Alan did the set up?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Thats not his last name but your close LOL

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thats not his last name but your close LOL

OK :) He's good friends with George and Mark-and as you know used to write for SP in the early days.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Happened that Sunny Umrao, one of the partners and the industrial designer of the speaker was in the area. Very lucky -- he supervised the install and is a terrific guy to boot. Really put in the time to optimize them though at 11PM! we called it a night knowing the xover an RC could be further tweaked. But it ain't bad now :)

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
He is a partner in the company. Sunny is a great guy I have met him a few times and he was at my shop as well. I know George for many years from the Melos days.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Just want to let you all know that I'm finding these to be phenomenal speakers. Tremendous detail, ease and depth -- combined with my ARC electronics, the 3D effect is stunning. Even poorly mastered stuff often sounds sounds better and has more depth than it normally would because of the way the system tends to delineate all the instruments in the mix. Some minor bass issues, but these are very addressable via the DSP and some other things on the way.

Miles Davis' trumpet sounded like it was exploding out of the air last night.

Last edited:

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Thanks Steve. It's a thrill every time I listen.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
They are gorgeous, Rob. A shame you're on the East coast - I'd dearly love to hear them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing