DSD downloads at Acoustic Sounds....

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
that makes at least three of us that finds this newsworthy. big news, really.

it will be interesting to see how the DSD files were derived from the anaolg masters, i dont see any mention on chad site.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
that makes at least three of us that finds this newsworthy. big news, really.

it will be interesting to see how the DSD files were derived from the anaolg masters, i dont see any mention on chad site.

The only piece of DSD equipment I see that Kevin Gray uses is the Tascam DV-RA1000

Clearly Kevin states on his website that he proudly uses the PM2 converters since they are "the best". I wonder if these DSD files are just PCM upsamples?? :confused:

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I asked on the thread that Myles started if anyone knows the source of the DSD files. I'm hoping they came from the master tapes and are not up-sampled 16/44.1 files.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I asked on the thread that Myles started if anyone knows the source of the DSD files. I'm hoping they came from the master tapes and are not up-sampled 16/44.1 files.

Being that Chad has reissued all of these on LP and SACD, I would assume he started with the master tape.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
and obviously he already has the (master tape sourced) dsd files sitting there from all the SACD's, so it won't cost Chad a dime to get the files.

That's if Chad first captured them in DSD. All I see on Kevin Gray's website is the Pacific Microsonics PM2 converters.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's if Chad first captured them in DSD. All I see on Kevin Gray's website is the Pacific Microsonics PM2 converters.

I'll drop Chad a line.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Reposting this from the other thread, but the Nat King Cole and 50 Blue Note SACDs were all supposed to be done on the Grimm AD1 according to Steve Hoffman. Not sure if Kevin Gray still has that converter... those reissues predated his new mastering facility.

http://www.grimmaudio.com/news_archive.htm scroll down to May 2009

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I wrote AS and thanked them for doing this. I'd generally be giving them a LOT more money than I do now (and I already give them a LOT for LPs) for DSD. I can't rip SACDs so they currently get no $ from me for digital.

I did ask them to make .DSF files though (I don't see any reason for .DSD files - does anyone here?) as I want to be able to store metadata in each file. I can convert .DSD to .DSF with Korg's free utility but not without tweeting the world about the details.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I wrote AS and thanked them for doing this. I'd generally be giving them a LOT more money than I do now (and I already give them a LOT for LPs) for DSD. I can't rip SACDs so they currently get no $ from me for digital.

I did ask them to make .DSF files though (I don't see any reason for .DSD files - does anyone here?) as I want to be able to store metadata in each file. I can convert .DSD to .DSF with Korg's free utility but not without tweeting the world about the details.

Slight correction.... they are all DSD files. You meant .dff files as opposed to .dsf

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Slight correction.... they are all DSD files. You meant .dff files as opposed to .dsf

Thanks for correcting me, Bruce.

Is there any downside to .DFF files that you know of? Are there some players that won't play them?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thanks for correcting me, Bruce.

Is there any downside to .DFF files that you know of? Are there some players that won't play them?

.dff is the default standard that will play in all things DSD. The only downside, as you know, is you can't attach metadata.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
.dff is the default standard that will play in all things DSD. The only downside, as you know, is you can't attach metadata.

Then that's not the format I'm thinking of (not at home to check my files). The format I'm thinking of is the one WITH metadata. What is that format and is there any downside to ONLY offering that to customers?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Then that's not the format I'm thinking of (not at home to check my files). The format I'm thinking of is the one WITH metadata. What is that format and is there any downside to ONLY offering that to customers?

then that format is .dsf and as far as I know, I haven't checked, I believe all software can play that as well. I know at first, .dff was the only format you could play, but I believe that has changed now.

to confuse you even more, the other DSD format is .wsd, which is a Korg proprietary format. You don't have to worry about that though.

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I think you are wanting to convert .dff files to .dsf.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing