For Those Naysayers...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Clearly Kevin states on his website that he proudly uses the PM2 converters since they are "the best". I wonder if these DSD files are just PCM upsamples??

But the titles were released as SACDs? I'd assume they didn't upsample.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
A lot of SACD's were done in PCM

I realize that but if Chad obviously had the master tapes for the LPs, then creating a DSD file is certainly possible. Now also remember not all of Chad's releases were done by Kevin either; IIRC the Nat King Cole analog masters were done at Sterling Sound.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I realize that but if Chad obviously had the master tapes for the LPs, then creating a DSD file is certainly possible. Now also remember not all of Chad's releases were done by Kevin either; IIRC the Nat King Cole analog masters were done at Sterling Sound.

Yeah I guess who knows what you're gonna get :confused:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Chad said that the DSD files are indeed taken from the master tapes, some of which were done by Kevin and some by Sterling Sound as I previously thought.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Chad said that the DSD files are indeed taken from the master tapes, some of which were done by Kevin and some by Sterling Sound as I previously thought.

Well if he wants to be the leader in this push for DSD downloads, then we want transparency, or it will just be another HDTracks.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What's Chad hiding? Sure someone will do a piece on his new endeavor and shed more light on the matter.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Well if he wants to be the leader in this push for DSD downloads, then we want transparency, or it will just be another HDTracks.

Bruce, I am really beside myself here. After several years of folks pounding the provenance horse to death with HDTracks, and you defending the total lack of transparency, this is a pretty stunning comment. We have been getting 96 Khz and 192 Khz downloads for as much as 25 bucks with a PDF of the cover, and nothing else.

Secondly, I know of TWO SACDs from AP that were mastered in DSD from PCM, and that is the last two in the Norah Jones SACD series, because they were recorded and mixed in PCM, the others were done in analog

I'm still shaking my head at some of your other posts on this thread.

Doug Sax has done a good chunk of the DSD archives and SACD mastering for the past several years.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

I didn't realize that. Perhaps I'll try a download or two.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Can you copy these files to another drive so you have a backup?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Why of course you can.

Good. That's one saving grace then. I still don't see myself forking out $25 for a bunch ones and zeros with no artwork or liner notes.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Good. That's one saving grace then. I still don't see myself forking out $25 for a bunch ones and zeros with no artwork or liner notes.

Are you set up to play back DSD files John?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Are you set up to play back DSD files John?

I have no idea honestly. I have an SACD player and that's it. On my PC the soundcard can handle DSD of far as I know.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce, I am really beside myself here. After several years of folks pounding the provenance horse to death with HDTracks, and you defending the total lack of transparency, this is a pretty stunning comment. We have been getting 96 Khz and 192 Khz downloads for as much as 25 bucks with a PDF of the cover, and nothing else.

There is a BIG difference here Andre.... David gets material from over 150 labels. Chad is in charge of the production of all his material from start to finish. Not even close!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
There is a BIG difference here Andre.... David gets material from over 150 labels. Chad is in charge of the production of all his material from start to finish. Not even close!

It does not address my point. When forum posters all over the place would complain about no source or mastering info on HDT downloads, your attitude was to tell them to get a life and "just use your ears". The same does not apply to Acoustic Sounds? I still get a kick out your "Audacity Cowboys" remark.

Personally I think that a "high rez" download with LESS information and liner notes than a remastered CD from Amazon is ridiculous.

Plus, why are you insinuating that Chad will not be forthcoming?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

As a side note, there were times in the past where you were pretty blunt about HDT, which I very much respect, and you said that they put the muzzle on, understandably.

The fact you said that if Chad kept customers guessing about his downloads it would be "another HDT" is pretty much is an admission that one cannot help be frustrated by their offerings on occasion.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
As a side note, there were times in the past where you were pretty blunt about HDT, which I very much respect, and you said that they put the muzzle on, understandably.

The fact you said that if Chad kept customers guessing about his downloads it would be "another HDT" is pretty much is an admission that one cannot help be frustrated by their offerings on occasion.

What got me started with the attitude that people needed to use their ears instead of their eyes was when the downloads were totally dismissed just because of the "graphs". I put that in parenthesis because they were using the tools incorrectly and passing along bad information. Then they started blaming me because I did the transfers. I was just paid to do them, not run them through analysis.

There were many times I was frustrated with HDtracks. I spent hours every week answering emails, defending them on forums and being associated with them as though they were my employer put a chip on my shoulder. I hated it just as much as everyone else, but when I would try to clear the air and tell the folks exactly where the material come from and how I did it, I'd get this scolding email saying "I am not their PR firm". I tried to introduce myself to Chad at one show and he started reading me the riot act. Wouldn't even shake my hand. My wife had to "speak" to him. He has been very condescending to me every time we met. You can even see it on the video when I was on the DSD panel.

I wish Chad all the luck in the world. We need more players in the game. Chad has connections to some great music.

BTW.... David coined the term "Audacity Cowboy"....

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
What got me started with the attitude that people needed to use their ears instead of their eyes was when the downloads were totally dismissed just because of the "graphs". I put that in parenthesis because they were using the tools incorrectly and passing along bad information. Then they started blaming me because I did the transfers. I was just paid to do them, not run them through analysis.

There were many times I was frustrated with HDtracks. I spent hours every week answering emails, defending them on forums and being associated with them as though they were my employer put a chip on my shoulder. I hated it just as much as everyone else, but when I would try to clear the air and tell the folks exactly where the material come from and now I did it, I'd get this scolding email saying "I am not their PR firm". I tried to introduce myself to Chad at one show and he started reading me the riot act. Wouldn't even shake my hand. My wife had to "speak" to him. He has been very condescending to me every time we met. You can even see it on the video when I was on the DSD panel.

I wish Chad all the luck in the world. We need more players in the game. Chad has connections some great music.

BTW.... David coined the term "Audacity Cowboy"....

Totally understood, and trust me, I am on your side. I take note it was DC who coined the term, I must say, it is a good one.

I don't think anyone should hold you responsible for what HDTracks sells...there are thousands of files there. And, for the record,
some very good sounding downloads. I bought the Valerie June 24/48 album yesterday.

I can see you are in a bind, because they do provide you with income, yet there are frustrations.

Yeh, I did notice that on the video with Chad. Odd. I don't know why he would have anything against you.

But my concern is I detected a bit of suspicion on your part about their new endeavor, and you made
an unsubstantiated claim about their SACD being of PCM origin. Except for the examples noted, it is simply
not true.

In the end I am happy AP is doing it, but let's get real too, it is going to be a few hundred titles, at very high prices,
and not some sign that the floodgates will open. Let's put thing into perspective..AP is a tiny, tiny record label, and the reason
the Doors, Norah Jones, and other box sets are so expensive is that they cost Chad a TON of money to get the tapes. I know how
much he paid for the Doors tapes, and it made me soil my self.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing