For Those Naysayers...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
and we know who you are. Exciting new, news for digital playback!!! From my editor,

Folks, it’s official as of 5:00 a.m. Pacific Time on Wednesday morning, August 28th: Chad Kassem and company have unveiled their new DSD download site, Super Hirez (http://www.superhirez.com; also found at http://store.acousticsounds.com/superhirez. Titles from Analogue Productions and Universal Music Group will be available directly, with other labels to follow. Great A&R is in evidence, which is going to act as a spearhead for much more to come.

Obviously, this is a huge step forward for DSD as a major and successful format. It’s critical mass, for sure.

I’ve already downloaded four DSD titles as a member of the beta team: a Nat King Cole, a Rickie Lee Jones, a Shelby Lynne, and a Phoebe Snow.

I expect that we’ll see HDTracks launch soon, to try to catch up.

The results for DSD lovers is going to be a feast, of that I am sure!

Enjoy! And hope to see you at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2013!

All the best,

david

Dr. David W. Robinson
Editor-in-Chief, Positive Feedback Online

**At the moment, it seems only the second link is active.**

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I heard about this a few days ago....and it's great news for everyone as Chad has better access to great recordings than anyone. so anyone who was on the fence on dsd downloads just got a good reason to get off the fence and jump in the pool.

personally; I have around 3-4 terabytes of dsd files and listen to them all the time. I also listen to PCM hirez too. if you get a chance to enjoy some dsd downloads you will get hooked easily. I can listen to them all day long....they sound analog to my ears relative to the very nice PCM files which are not quite as analog and real sounding in comparison.

I see this event as a watershed moment in the expansion of server based dsd listening.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I heard about this a few days ago....and it's great news for everyone as Chad has better access to great recordings than anyone. so anyone who was on the fence on dsd downloads just got a good reason to get off the fence and jump in the pool.

personally; I have around 3-4 terabytes of dsd files and listen to them all the time. I also listen to PCM hirez too. if you get a chance to enjoy some dsd downloads you will get hooked easily. I can listen to them all day long....they sound analog to my ears relative to the very nice PCM files which are not quiet analog sounding in comparison.

I see this event as a watershed moment in the expansion of server based dsd listening.

+1

Now if we can only get Chad to do the same thing for ree-to-reel tape! :)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
This is good news. I am looking forward to the day when new content is released in hi-rez format and not just the same old albums have heard for years.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Finally!! A good source for DSD content

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
My only issue with this is cost. I mean, for $25 why wouldn't I buy the LP or the actual SACD? That's kinda where I am with HD downloads. Sure some sound great, as do the LPs. With the LP I own something I like having. File, not so much. The way I see it, the prices have to reflect the concept. When they do, I'll buy a bunch of downloads.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Chad listens. Now you people tell him to do 15 ips tape :cool:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Does anyone know for sure the source of these DSD files?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Does anyone know for sure the source of these DSD files?

I'm sure they are the master tapes but what was used to create them? The only DSD equipment I see is a Tascam DV-RA1000

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Chad listens. Now you people tell him to do 15 ips tape :cool:

I think Mike and I (and others) have been on Chad's case to issue reel-to-reel tape for quite a while. Sadly, I'd say it's on the bottom of his list to do. You'll see the new UHQR releases (Clarity vinyl) next from Chad.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The message that I think is being missed here is that many, many audiophiles may for the first time, be as close to the sound of the original master tape as they'll ever be.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Clearly Kevin states on his website that he proudly uses the PM2 converters since they are "the best". I wonder if these DSD files are just PCM upsamples??

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Clearly Kevin states on his website that he proudly uses the PM2 converters since they are "the best". I wonder if these DSD files are just PCM upsamples??

The Nat King Cole and all 50 Blue Note SACDs were said to be done with Grimm AD1, according to Steve Hoffman.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Bruce-That is the million dollar question I was trying to get an answer to. Maybe, just maybe, if when SACD was first introduced and if the record labels hadn't screwed people by upsampling PCM files and selling them as SACD/DSD, people would have heard a significant difference over their CDs and it would have caught on. None of us need or want another round of taking it in the shorts and buying upsampled PCM files with a DSD label on them. And I'm not saying or inferring that is what's going on here. I just want to make sure before I shell out any cash.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing