Trinity Phono Stage ... anyone hear this or have opinions?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
It's north of $30k USD. Fully balanced and all solid state. I did hear it once in a unfamiliar system with a Allaert's MC2 Finish Cartridge. The thing I remember most was the ability to portray movement in the soundstage not only side to side but front to back also. Like a tambourine or some sort of a shaker...was just so eerily real on how it portrayed this movement in the soundstage...

http://www.trinity-ed.de/typo/fileadmin/template/bilder/phono/hoererlebniss_phono_en.pdf

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
My god 30K plus for what....a level of reproduction that's been around for 30+ years...EOR

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I'm not familiar with that stage. I will be in the market soon for something in that price range most notably, the ARC Ref 10 phono or the new Allnice H-5000. I would consider them too in this budget range.

http://hammertoneaudio.com/Product/Allnic H5000 DHT/Allnic H5000 DHT

The allnic sure is sweet looking !

http://www.audioresearch.com/ReferencePhono10.html

If the Allnic H5000 is better than the H3000 then it is certainly one to check out. Another phono stage a little under that price range to check out is the Burmester PH-100. I have heard this stage several times and really like what I heard. Very quiet and musical. Definitely the best solid state phono stage I have heard.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If the Allnic H5000 is better than the H3000 then it is certainly one to check out. Another phono stage a little under that price range to check out is the Burmester PH-100. I have heard this stage several times and really like what I heard. Very quiet and musical. Definitely the best solid state phono stage I have heard.

Have you compared the Pass XP-25 to the Burmester ? Being that my system is all SS, I have been leaning towards tubes for my second phono stage and keeping my XP-25. Having two tables now with 4 arms total, I need a second phono stage.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Have you compared the Pass XP-25 to the Burmester ? Being that my system is all SS, I have been leaning towards tubes for my second phono stage and keeping my XP-25. Having two tables now with 4 arms total, I need a second phono stage.

Not directly. I had the XP-25 on trial for a month in my system. It did allot of things well but was not a good match for my system unfortunately. I'm using an Allnic H3000 and really like it. I think it might be be worth a try in your system. It has 4 inputs. 2 MC and 2 MM. No experience with the H5000.

I have only heard the Burmester at my local audio club and at the Genesis factory. It is Gary Koh's personal unit. I would like to hear it in my system but can't afford it and I really am happy with the Allnic H3000.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Not directly. I had the XP-25 on trial for a month in my system. It did allot of things well but was not a good match for my system unfortunately. I'm using an Allnic H3000 and really like it. I think it might be be worth a try in your system. It has 4 inputs. 2 MC and 2 MM. No experience with the H5000.

I have only heard the Burmester at my local audio club and at the Genesis factory. It is Gary Koh's personal unit. I would like to hear it in my system but can't afford it and I really am happy with the Allnic H3000.

Have you rolled tubes with your H3000 or are the stock tubes the best bet ?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My god 30K plus for what....a level of reproduction that's been around for 30+ years...EOR

Hmm we're all on a forum called "what's best" this is as possible what's best for lp's....just asking the question to see if it advances the state of the art for this format....and how it compares to what else might be out there...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

The amazing thing is the level/quality of reproduction of an LP played 30 years ago has exponentially improved in sound quality with current SOTA phono pre's, carts and arms.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Any noise issues with the DHT's? I best they sound fantastic...just wondering about lower output mc's...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have rolled tubes. The stock tubes seem to be the best in the main unit but the power supply rectifier is worth rolling.

I got a demo recently on a H3000v....had 3 rectifier tubes (stock, a russian something and a Tung-Sol really made that phono stage sing !!)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The amazing thing is the level/quality of reproduction of an LP played 30 years ago has exponentially improved in sound quality with current SOTA phono pre's, carts and arms.

True but I'm not talking about arms,carts,or tables. My experience is that the resolution the OP described I heard 30 years ago. My opinion is maybe SOTA is better in some regards,but the level of repeating that performance ie cost, today borders on the absurd and I don't expect anybody on WBF to agree with me.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I got a demo recently on a H3000v....had 3 rectifier tubes (stock, a russian something and a Tung-Sol really made that phono stage sing !!)

My favorite rectifier for the H3000 is the RCA 5U4G. I tried a Tung-Sol 5U4GB and it is pretty good but not quite as good as the RCA. At least in my system.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Any noise issues with the DHT's? I best they sound fantastic...just wondering about lower output mc's...

That would be my concern with a DHT phono stage like the H5000. If they can make it quiet enough I'm sure it would be a winner.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

+1

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
What does DHT mean ? Why is it it a concern for noise ? A topology design issue ?

Direct heated triode. I don't have any personal experience with equipment that has this topology. I have just heard through the grape vine that it can be hard to get it quiet.

I have heard the Allnic DHT linestage and did not notice any noise issues but a phonostage has allot more gain and would be allot more difficult.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Direct heated triode. I don't have any personal experience with equipment that has this topology. I have just heard through the grape vine that it can be hard to get it quiet.

I have heard the Allnic DHT linestage and did not notice any noise issues but a phonostage has allot more gain and would be allot more difficult.

Hi me to...no personal experience...I should have likely said that vs starting a rumor....or possibly perpetuating one..

What is everyone's thoughts on phono stages with SUT's (step up transformers) vs all active? Especially around super low output mc's?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
What does DHT mean ? Why is it it a concern for noise ? A topology design issue ?

DHT = "Directly Heated Triode". As with all audio designs, the key is execution. From personal experience, I can highly recommend the Experience Music DHT designs. PM if interested.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing