Best headphones for music during Workout?

whlog

Aug 26, 2013
I want to get a set of earbud headphones that block out a lot of sound, sit well in my ears and don't fall out, and are durable for everyday use. Price isn't an issue, although if you know of a cheap set that fills my criteria i'd be very happy!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You don't need ear buds, you need IEMs, in ear monitors. The etymotics are great, Shure makes some very good ones too, as do ultimate ear and many others. When you get up to the high end models, they'll make custom fitted tips like old-school hearing aids. The ultimate in comfort and stay-put. A couple of things to watch out for: These kinds of transducers can be extremely accurate - very flat. Because we're used to room gain, they sound dry and thin to us. A little bass built in is not a bad thing. The other is that some can be too demanding for the headphone jack straight out of your iPod, you need phones designed for that. Too much is awful. Here's a great resource -- http://www.headphone.com. The only caveat is they'll sell you an amp where you really don't need one, particularly for working out! Just look for the cans labeled good straight out of your portable device and you'll be good, ignore them when they tell you how much better it will sound if you buy an amp and strap that to your body too!

Tim

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
If you are running with them I would advise against IEMs or 'phones that are *too* isolating.
One reason is that you need to hear what is around you a little bit - particularly if you run near roads or on paths that are shared by bikes or rollerbladers.
Second reason is that IEMs tend to amplify your own internal sounds. Not a big issue if you are sitting quietly but you may find you quickly tire of the sound of your own breathing (and even footsteps too) if you are running hard.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If you are running with them I would advise against IEMs or 'phones that are *too* isolating.
One reason is that you need to hear what is around you a little bit - particularly if you run near roads or on paths that are shared by bikes or rollerbladers.
Second reason is that IEMs tend to amplify your own internal sounds. Not a big issue if you are sitting quietly but you may find you quickly tire of the sound of your own breathing (and even footsteps too) if you are running hard.

+1. If your workout is inside and static ..Fine, isolation can be a good thing , if it is outside and involve running in public space.. You need to hear some .. People warnings, car coming, etc. Very sound advice from Whatmore . The pun was not intended :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I agree. In fact, I just wouldn't listen to music while running or biking at all. Walking? Safer. Where the IEMs are really useful is on cardio machines and in noisy gyms. They knock out enough ambient noise to allow you to listen at much lower, healthier levels.

Tim

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I agree. In fact, I just wouldn't listen to music while running or biking at all. Walking? Safer. Where the IEMs are really useful is on cardio machines and in noisy gyms. They knock out enough ambient noise to allow you to listen at much lower, healthier levels.

Tim

Agreed there Tim. The background noise in gyms is usually way too high. That's one of the reasons I prefer my workout to be outdoors in the real world :)

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
I use one of these as a source in the gym with IEMs ( Tiny & sounds brilliant) 16/44 - 24/192khz or even DSD rips of vinyl transferred from my Korg MR

http://www.astellnkern.com/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing