IIR vs. FIR filters in Jriver

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
What were the problems?

On native 96/24 files (or real time converted DSD at 96/24) everything works fine, but when switching to a 44/16 file, I am getting highly distorted unlistenable sound though Dirac (both with Filter On and Filter Off). If I shut down Dirac and set my MSB DAC as output device and 44/16 worked fine again.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Sorry about that. Do you have kernel driver selected in DAP?

It's weird that it works only for 96k. I use windows 8 and it works for all rates up to 96k.

prerich

May 21, 2012
It's more like $500 for the 2ch version, which is what I use. I would say it's well worth it. I have even used it with a backup pair of speakers, the Evolution Acoustics Micro One. The result is just as great as with my YG Anat III.
I'd need the surround version myself, I listen to music and movies about 50/50.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
You may have tried this but you should check which driver you go out in DAP because it matters. You can't use the ASIO driver. You have to use kernel which is the last one in the drop down in DAP. Have you tried the other drivers in Jriver for DIRAC? There's 3 I think. I would try them all just for fun. It sounds like a driver problem because I got the same sound until I tried all if the drivers and figured out that WASAPI works best on my computer. Is it possible that you didn't check all the sample rate boxes in the first step in the measurement tool? Maybe you inadvertently only selected 96k and not the rest of the sample rates? That would certainly explain why it only works for 96k. Maybe remeasure and try again with new filter. I hope you get it going again so I have someone to bother about DIRAC. :)

In DAP, I just select the driver of my MSB Dac. Very weird indeed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing