Resistors and Resistor types

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Resistors are the most common electronic components. They are pretty simple devices to understand and use. Here is an excellent video explaining what it is and importantly different types in use:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Thanks for posting. On a new project I am going to try some Vishay metal foils and see how that effects the sound. The metal foils are 2ppm and standard metal films are 100ppm. Also the foil types have tolerances that are very low compared to film types. I am going to try them in the first stage and feedback position. This should be a interesting experiment as I have already used tantalum types with good outcomes. Some that have used the foil types compare the performance gain as swapping in a very good film capacitor. Btw the lower the ppm the less the resistor degrades over a period of time.

http://texascomponents.com/pdf/tx2575.pdf

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I have been using the TX2575s for a few years now everywhere in my 2 custom built Counterpoint NP220 amps. They sound better than the Audio Note tantalum resistors that I had used in various locations previously (they are very good - a touch on the seductive side!). The more TX2575s you use, the better sound you will get - you can't overdo it. Great transparency and immediacy with no discernible noise/hash. I would agree that the benefits are similar to upgrading to a copper/Teflon cap from something else. You are reminding me I should redo my phono stage signal path.

Light Dependant Resistor

May 10, 2014
The problem though with resistors and audio is not the resistor, but what it then connects to
which sadly invariably is a switch or wiping contact

Here is a much better resistor for audio if this dicussion includes where it then connects to.

LDR internal.jpeg

It is of couse a audio grade LDR where increasing and decreasing light intensity varying its internal LED then
changes resistance. Opto coupled resistance methods are a revelation for audio coupling.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing