MC452 power amp - one cool character

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Well after much thought, and auditions with various amps driving my Quad ESL's, it seems like the MC452 is one hell of an amp based on performance. It's design is simply top-class, balanced outputs/inputs, and true "quad balanced" configuration, with each tap having it's own grounding. It even out-performs the bigger 601 monoblocks in terms of current capability. This is one amp that can handle large electrostats with ease and drives them to their full potential.

The c-j monoblocks were a good audition, but really did not justify the jump in price compared to the overall musical presence the MC452 delivers. Soundstage, scale, size and level of realism with this beauty from McIntosh is going to be very hard to beat at it's price point. The only ss amps that I have come across that could match up would be a pair of Pass Labs monoblocks costing nearly 3 times the price!

As for the time being I have put the purchase on hold for a while, since my daughter will be commencing high school in a few months. So there are other important factors in family life that come first (although this amp would be a necessity...); I guess I can wait for a while.
This decision has also made the wifey very happy, and still enjoys our moments together listening to Simon and Garfunkel with the c-j mv60se (still a gem in every aspect of "classic" amplification).

Anyone else experience the MC452 and its greatness? please share your thoughts.
Cheers and have a good one,
RJ

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi RJ,

Yes. The MC452 is a great amp. My friend has one and uses an ARC Ref 5se preamp with it on Revel Studio2 for now. It's a great combo. I was pleasantly surprised how great it actually sounds. We'd listen to music on his system and before we knew it 4-5 hours had gone by. Amazing! That's the mark of a great system.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Well after much thought, and auditions with various amps driving my Quad ESL's, it seems like the MC452 is one hell of an amp based on performance. It's design is simply top-class, balanced outputs/inputs, and true "quad balanced" configuration, with each tap having it's own grounding. It even out-performs the bigger 601 monoblocks in terms of current capability. This is one amp that can handle large electrostats with ease and drives them to their full potential.

The c-j monoblocks were a good audition, but really did not justify the jump in price compared to the overall musical presence the MC452 delivers. Soundstage, scale, size and level of realism with this beauty from McIntosh is going to be very hard to beat at it's price point. The only ss amps that I have come across that could match up would be a pair of Pass Labs monoblocks costing nearly 3 times the price!

As for the time being I have put the purchase on hold for a while, since my daughter will be commencing high school in a few months. So there are other important factors in family life that come first (although this amp would be a necessity...); I guess I can wait for a while.
This decision has also made the wifey very happy, and still enjoys our moments together listening to Simon and Garfunkel with the c-j mv60se (still a gem in every aspect of "classic" amplification).

Anyone else experience the MC452 and its greatness? please share your thoughts.
Cheers and have a good one,
RJ

I've heard it several times - most recently this past Wednesday. The 452/601's are my two favorite Mc amps. Both are better sounding than the 1.2kws IMO. Combined with an ARC REF5Se preamp, the 452/601's are taken to new heights.

Mike

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Thanks mates for your replies.
Yes this is one all round value for money amp that sits comfortably well within the "high-end". And I agree, partnered with a SOTA preamp the sound elevates to a different level unexpectedly. The sound I got off this thing partnered with my c-j ACT2, and Quads was something I hadn't experienced before other than in "unplugged" live performances. Amplified live performances is of course a whole different league of its own.

It will be a while for me to get the final purchase done, I'm guessing somewhere around Feb or March 2014 would be about right. Till then I'll just sit tight and manage with my little c-j mv60se...
Cheers, RJ

Jimmy P

Dec 19, 2013
UK
I can confirm that the MC452 product is an astonishing product in my humble opinion, I use one to power a pair of Mcintosh XRT1K speakers and this combination does deliver a sound that I find most pleasing. The sound is always effortless and is always smooth and none fatiguing I read endless reviews that prefer this or that musical characteristic from various manufacturers and every product tends to have its merits and caveats. To my ears at least the MC452 delivers emotion and excitement that is within a recording without sacrificing dynamics or insight. The MC452 does not warm my room in summer either and never gets above 45 degrees even when it's time to party.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Greetings from Melbourne! Thanks for the reply Jimmy, interesting read.

Well now a few months have passed since my last review with the MC452, and it is now end of year. My daughter has graduated from primary, will be starting high school Feb 2014, I have received the final payment from the sale of my old (used pair) of Wilson's, plus paid off a few bad debts. Now I am once again free to venture into the world of highend gear, and managed to spend some time with some great amps over the months both ss and tube. Here are my findings:
1. c-j LP125 monoblocks: great sounding amps overall, specially with KT120 tubes; way better than the standard 6550's.
2. Quad II 80 monoblocks: sweet sounding amps, very well balanced, however not much bass and bottom end info compared to the c-j's.
3. c-j Premier 350: fantastic amp, specially partnered with the ACT2 preamp, overall great sound to get used to. Very fast, and powerful bass, good control and authority.
4. Pass Labs x350: great amp, very powerful can easily drive my electrostats, however lacked full body notes and depth compared to c-j designs and McIntosh. Sounded a bit too forward for me, not laid back and relaxing even when partnered with the c-jACT2 preamp.
5. MC452: this was clearly the winner overall, had everything I was after, full body, fantastic depth, very relaxing, NOT forward at all "in your face sound" like many other ss; very powerful and very easily drives my Quads ESL2905's, takes it to another level. I can listen for endless hours, and this is exactly what I'm after.

Conclusion: Based on the above, I truly prefer the MC452 partnered with the ACT2, this is an outstanding combination. Although, I also fancied the c-j monoblocks with the KT120's. After all that's what I'm used to, having the MV60SE in the system for nearly 5 years now. Having an output of just 60w/ch with the KT120's, certainly doesn't sound like just 60watts! It beats a hec of a lot of well known "highend" amps that I know of (don't want to mention any names... for respect).

Verdict: I just may go for both and spoil myself; therefore I will go after the MC452 and the c-j LP125's with KT120's replaced. Or perhaps I may wait a little till mid 2014 for c-j to put out a new power amp having KT120's. I haven't yet properly auditioned the LP125s, which is a new KT120 design stereo version. If I liked the LP125's so much, then perhaps the LP125s couldn't be that different. I will first get hold of the MC452 and use this for a while until I decide on the next tube amp. Who know's I might just get used to the MC452 so much that I may not go for another tube amp. In any case I am still keeping my MV60SE, as it is one special amp that is very hard to beat for what it's worth.

Any other suggestions on new tube amps that I should try with my electrostats? (stereo or monoblock doesn't matter). Any recommendations on VTL, Audio Research, Cary, etc.
My price range would be somewhere between 12 to 15 grand, I may push to 20 grand if it really sounds that incredible. But for that type of money I need to audition with the same Quad electrostats and ACT2 preamp, not an easy combination to find, unless the dealer is willing to lend me the amps over the weekend as was the case with the above.

Looking forward to your replies, cheers and happy holidays!
All the very best for 2014! to fellow audiophiles out there and to your families and loved ones. A special greeting to Steve Williams who got me onto this forum; have a great one mate and all the best for a happy new year! Trust you are truly enjoying those Lamm's with the X2's.
Keep safe and drive safe!
Cheers, RJ

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Greetings from Melbourne! Thanks for the reply Jimmy, interesting read.

Well now a few months have passed since my last review with the MC452, and it is now end of year. My daughter has graduated from primary, will be starting high school Feb 2014, I have received the final payment from the sale of my old (used pair) of Wilson's, plus paid off a few bad debts. Now I am once again free to venture into the world of highend gear, and managed to spend some time with some great amps over the months both ss and tube. Here are my findings:
1. c-j LP125 monoblocks: great sounding amps overall, specially with KT120 tubes; way better than the standard 6550's.
2. Quad II 80 monoblocks: sweet sounding amps, very well balanced, however not much bass and bottom end info compared to the c-j's.
3. c-j Premier 350: fantastic amp, specially partnered with the ACT2 preamp, overall great sound to get used to. Very fast, and powerful bass, good control and authority.
4. Pass Labs x350: great amp, very powerful can easily drive my electrostats, however lacked full body notes and depth compared to c-j designs and McIntosh. Sounded a bit too forward for me, not laid back and relaxing even when partnered with the c-jACT2 preamp.
5. MC452: this was clearly the winner overall, had everything I was after, full body, fantastic depth, very relaxing, NOT forward at all "in your face sound" like many other ss; very powerful and very easily drives my Quads ESL2905's, takes it to another level. I can listen for endless hours, and this is exactly what I'm after.

Conclusion: Based on the above, I truly prefer the MC452 partnered with the ACT2, this is an outstanding combination. Although, I also fancied the c-j monoblocks with the KT120's. After all that's what I'm used to, having the MV60SE in the system for nearly 5 years now. Having an output of just 60w/ch with the KT120's, certainly doesn't sound like just 60watts! It beats a hec of a lot of well known "highend" amps that I know of (don't want to mention any names... for respect).

Verdict: I just may go for both and spoil myself; therefore I will go after the MC452 and the c-j LP125's with KT120's replaced. Or perhaps I may wait a little till mid 2014 for c-j to put out a new power amp having KT120's. I haven't yet properly auditioned the LP125s, which is a new KT120 design stereo version. If I liked the LP125's so much, then perhaps the LP125s couldn't be that different. I will first get hold of the MC452 and use this for a while until I decide on the next tube amp. Who know's I might just get used to the MC452 so much that I may not go for another tube amp. In any case I am still keeping my MV60SE, as it is one special amp that is very hard to beat for what it's worth.

Any other suggestions on new tube amps that I should try with my electrostats? (stereo or monoblock doesn't matter). Any recommendations on VTL, Audio Research, Cary, etc.
My price range would be somewhere between 12 to 15 grand, I may push to 20 grand if it really sounds that incredible. But for that type of money I need to audition with the same Quad electrostats and ACT2 preamp, not an easy combination to find, unless the dealer is willing to lend me the amps over the weekend as was the case with the above.

Looking forward to your replies, cheers and happy holidays!
All the very best for 2014! to fellow audiophiles out there and to your families and loved ones. A special greeting to Steve Williams who got me onto this forum; have a great one mate and all the best for a happy new year! Trust you are truly enjoying those Lamm's with the X2's.
Keep safe and drive safe!
Cheers, RJ

RJ, may i suggest one of these two :) - - - SA-103 Plinius SA-103.jpg - - - SA-250MK4 Plinius sa-250 MK4 Black.jpg

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Andre,

Of course! The Plinius is a great product, infact it's our cousin somewhat very close to Aus, they're based in NZ.
The only thing is over here the Aussies look down upon the Kiwi's and prefer the US stuff. I'm not saying, this is what a few dealers told me...

Putting that aside, they prefer Bryston and compare it to Krell. They end up with Krell and there are quite a few dealers here who offer Krell and Bryston but not much support on Plinius. Hence, if I had a problem with it or required some aftersales service, I'd have to row row row the boat, gently down the stream to Kiwi land...

They've been around for many years and have had excellent products, I heard these things driving some older IRS Infinity's, they were stunning! If I had the chance to get one I would but not having the much dealer/service support I would prefer what's available here.

The other thing of course, apart from the sound, is that the Plinius looks so dam plain... no liveliness at all! Compared to that MC452, now that brings many things to life specially those big Blue meters!
You got to love it, I do! If only Plinius had those Blue meters...

Cheers mate and thanks for the update.
RJ

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Hey Andre,

Of course! The Plinius is a great product, infact it's our cousin somewhat very close to Aus, they're based in NZ.
The only thing is over here the Aussies look down upon the Kiwi's and prefer the US stuff. I'm not saying, this is what a few dealers told me...

Putting that aside, they prefer Bryston and compare it to Krell. They end up with Krell and there are quite a few dealers here who offer Krell and Bryston but not much support on Plinius. Hence, if I had a problem with it or required some aftersales service, I'd have to row row row the boat, gently down the stream to Kiwi land...

They've been around for many years and have had excellent products, I heard these things driving some older IRS Infinity's, they were stunning! If I had the chance to get one I would but not having the much dealer/service support I would prefer what's available here.

The other thing of course, apart from the sound, is that the Plinius looks so dam plain... no liveliness at all! Compared to that MC452, now that brings many things to life specially those big Blue meters!
You got to love it, I do! If only Plinius had those Blue meters...

Cheers mate and thanks for the update.
RJ

You are absolutely right McIntosh is not only good it is also beautiful being an integrated amplifier kind of guy the MA-8000 would be my next upgrade if i only could afford it.:)

McIntosh MA-8000.jpg

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hats off to the big Mac!

They will never let you down. I have had the chance to experience nearly all their amps, Including integrated. The main distributor in Melbourne also offers the full range of SF speakers, McIntosh, Usher, Martin, Vitus Audio, Lowe, Bladius and is also the dealer for many other brands, such as B&W, JBL, Project and Cayin. Most of this falls under the new parent company called Fine Sounds based in Italy. Therefore, they offer whatever Fine Sounds pleases which includes Audio Research and Wadia.

Whenever I go in there for an appointment, I end up spending the entire day because you can learn so much more by actual listening rather than believe the high-end reviews...

Great place to visit.

Andre, don't worry, no sooner than you think, you will have the mighty MA8000. Start saving now because I know these things aren't that expensive in the US. In Australia you're looking at around 30 grand for an amp like that, and I think it's worth every penny!

Cheers mate, RJ

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
RJ

Go the Mac 452 and cj mono's

Best of both worlds without breaking the bank

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Very true mate,

I was thinking about this VERY seriously, both the MC452 and LP125M's are in somewhat the same price range and both dealer chappy's are nice guys to do business with. Infact, I have brought both these amplifiers home and driven them with the Quads, using KT120's on the c-j mono's. Again both sound fantastic and are very much to my liking.

However, the funny dam thing is that the LP125M's even with the KT120's didn't deliver a very impressive overall sound compared to the MV60SE which is half the bloody power and in stereo!

The LP125's were cruising along no doubt, but there was still something not justifiable on the extra dollars. Whereas the ARTSA is a definite keeper by a huge margin, and that would be the one but costs nearly three times more. The MC452 on the other hand was indeed awesome, especially with the ACT2.

So I am in no rush at the moment, and still looking out and learning new things. I am trying not to spend anything for the nest several years, but it's very hard...
Have to keep reminding myself of the "have-nots" then things start falling into perspective...

For now I'm just enjoying the music! Cheers,
RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Still trying to get the audition going with the MC452 and the mighty MG20.7's. Seems like neither party is going to come up with a compromise. So I guess this system audition is off.

Having said that, I do know what great sound I did hear with the MC452 as the main amp, and that was when driving my very own Quads and of course the fantastic Analysis Omega's. Oh! by the way the chap who has the Omega's finally got the top of the line from VTL and is in heaven... Yes, I did hear them briefly last week and they were truly amazing. However, I have yet to hear the MG20.7's with something like that, and I have a strong feeling that the MG20.7 will beat the Omega's in all aspects when driven with top amplification.

My fellow mates were asking me why the hec I was so keen on this combination since I don't have either the AA Omega's nor the MG20.7. Ah! that's the golden quest because I know for a good fact that although I love my Quad stats to absolute death, one day there will be a time where I will get hold of either the MG20.7 or the Omega from AA. This is the main reason why I need to figure this one system out, hence eventually I will be settling for a MC452 since I don't want to mess with the on-going tube changes... Having the Act2 suddenly shut down on me twice, and having to replace tube sets more than one, I am getting too old to think of changing 8 output tubes on the ARTsa! I'm dreading the thought of having to change just 4 output tubes in the MV60se...

Also after having kept the MC452 with my Quads for quite some time as a loan/trial unit, I was not missing the tube sound at all. Partnered with the Act2, it is one awesome pre-power combination.
I will keep trying to make that MG20.7 / MC452 audition a reality someday, and by them I'll be ready for the second speaker system. Perhaps I should just go ahead and get the MC452 myself and then just take it over for a spin to the MG20.7 chappy's place! That sounds more of a do-able plan to me than having to wait for grown guys to kiss and make up...

Cheers to all! Scotch and Schweppes tonight, RJ

Vette

Feb 2, 2014
Lot of good products out there but until you settle on McIntosh you are just working around the edges. :cool:

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Vette,

I totally agree with you. There are many wonderful products out there that cost a bomb! Many with limitations and superlative strengths in other areas, there's always something missing. Then comes along McIntosh products and they seem to have it all plus affordability, and they've been around for decades...

I have tried the MC452 with my Act2 preamp on the Quads and it is superb. The other amp I have been after is the all tube assault from cj which is the ARTsa, but costs twice as much as the MC452. It seems that eventually I will end up with a MC452 to partner with the Act2. In the meantime I am also trying to check out which panels sound better driven with the MC452, whether it is the Analysis Onega's or the MG20.7. This is for my ultimate in panels as a second speaker system to enjoy once in a while, although the Quad stats will always remain as my reference pair.

Hey I noticed that you have the MCD301. I have one as well! Are you using its preamp section for anything? What do you think about it? I found that it's not bad at all.
Another thing I was always wondering, when you have the MCD301 hooked up to a separate preamp through its "fixed outputs" during playback, is it of any relevance to set the level control on the MCD301 to any particular setting? Or can this just remain at zero?

I know the level control is mainly used through its "variable outputs" where the MCD301 would act as a preamp and for setting level controls when listening through headphones. However, on playback via the fixed outputs does the level control have any significant effect?

Cheers mate, RJ

Vette

Feb 2, 2014
I use the MCD301 as a transport only. The digital signal is sent through the D100 DAC. The D100 is connected to the MC452 via XLR variable input. The combo MCD301 + D100 = ~ MCD1100.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing