Amps for Raidho D3's

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Job 225 ;)

sonrock

Apr 15, 2013
I dont know about Raidho speakers but I believe my magico q5's require lots of powers to move them, especially to reach the absolute punch with the bass drivers. The karan 2000 monoblocks have no problem doing their job, very composed and effortless. Many karan owners driving avalon or kharma speakers which designed with ceramic and diamond drivers. so if you have a chance to listen to them, you might see them are perfect for what you need. beautiful midrange and high resolution, very very musical while extremely dynamics.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
A couple of quick updates: I was able to audition the Raidho D3's with Audionet and Soulution 501's/520. I was also able to listen to the top of the line Sim monos and Spectral. The Audionet MAX was extremely resolving. Probably the highest resolution amplifier I've ever heard. The Soulution was also excellent, and even a touch more musical (did I just say that? :) ) The Spectral was outstanding. I would love to own Spectral but MIT cables aren't an option for me. I really like Nordost/Ansuz cables on my D3's.

Next up (in mid October) is a trip to hear D'Agostino monos, Levinson 53's, Accuphase A200 and a few other goodies on Raidho D3's.

I am anxious to hear the Jeff Rowland 925's.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hi, which Spectral did you try and did you use their own preamp? What did you think about intrumental timbres through the Spectral? I am thinking about the C4.1 in the near future and Spectral DMA 400 is high on my list along with D'Agostino monos and JR 725. Just FYI, Roy Gregory has reviewed the JR 725 on The Audio Beat this week....very positive review. Lars also loves the JR 725.
Many thanks.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Hi, which Spectral did you try and did you use their own preamp? What did you think about intrumental timbres through the Spectral? I am thinking about the C4.1 in the near future and Spectral DMA 400 is high on my list along with D'Agostino monos and JR 725. Just FYI, Roy Gregory has reviewed the JR 725 on The Audio Beat this week....very positive review. Lars also loves the JR 725.
Many thanks.

I heard the Spectral 400's with the Spectral preamp (don't remember the model number). I thought the instrument timbres were excellent and it was a very musical amp. The C4.1's are outstanding speakers (I heard them this past week). I will caution you to make sure you have a relatively big room (long room) and I would give the D3's a listen to to compare. In a big room, C4.1's are better. In a room like mine 15 x 25, I feel the D3's are better. YMMV.

I read the Roy Gregory review on the 725's. Thank you.

My favorite amps that I have heard through my audition travels the past 3 months, were the D'Agostino monos. Will they pair with the D3's? I will find out in October when I visit a friend in Dallas who has that combination (Dag on Raidho). He's delighted with the combo - and he has a very good ear - so I suspect they work well.

I really haven't heard anything that made me stop my search - yet. The D'Agostino's were as close as I've gotten. I just wonder how they will control the D3's woofers. That's all. If they do a fine job, and produce close to the level of resolution I heard with say the Soulution or Spectral, then I will probably go that way.

Mike

Last edited:

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Hello Mike, many thanks for the great feedback on the Spectral amps and also the C4.1. Looking forward to your feedback on the D'Agostino monos with D3 next month. BTW, I believe Jonathan Valin's review of the C4.1 is due to be published in October issue of TAS. Happy listening. Ash

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hello Mike, many thanks for the great feedback on the Spectral amps and also the C4.1. Looking forward to your feedback on the D'Agostino monos with D3 next month. BTW, I believe Jonathan Valin's review of the C4.1 is due to be published in October issue of TAS. Happy listening. Ash

It was published and just arrived today at my house.

Fischerp

Jun 10, 2013
Have you listened to Devialet? Granted, I am using mine with only a pair of C1.1s but the weight and control is amazing. If you need extra power, they are configurable in 500W monoblocks as well.
To say I am jealous of you getting the D3s would be a bit of an understatement.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Hi guys,

I'm establishing a new retail concept in Stockholm/Sweden at the moment (dealer alert - even though I'm most certainly on the other side of the globe from most of you). At the moment, I'm breaking in a pair of Raidho D1. Later on this fall I will probably get a pair of D2 or D3 as well. As I will offer Jeff Rowland, Simaudio Moon, Aesthetix, VTL, Devialet and Nagra, there are a lot of potential combinations to explore. I will most certainly be able to mate Raidho with Constellation and Karan amplification as well.

Please let me know if there are any combinations of special interest to you, and I'll do my best to report back during the upcoming months. Digital sources will be Aesthetix Romulus, Jeff Rowland Aeris, Simauio Moon 650D and Devialet. Analog sources Brinkmann Bardo + Balance. Cables will be Nordost Valhalla 2 - all through.

All the best.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm establishing a new retail concept in Stockholm/Sweden at the moment (dealer alert - even though I'm most certainly on the other side of the globe from most of you). At the moment, I'm breaking in a pair of Raidho D1. Later on this fall I will probably get a pair of D2 or D3 as well. As I will offer Jeff Rowland, Simaudio Moon, Aesthetix, VTL, Devialet and Nagra, there are a lot of potential combinations to explore. I will most certainly be able to mate Raidho with Constellation and Karan amplification as well.

Please let me know if there are any combinations of special interest to you, and I'll do my best to report back during the upcoming months. Digital sources will be Aesthetix Romulus, Jeff Rowland Aeris, Simauio Moon 650D and Devialet. Analog sources Brinkmann Bardo + Balance. Cables will be Nordost Valhalla 2 - all through.

All the best.

First, the D3 is leaps and bounds better than the D1 (I've owned both). Second, the c1.1 is a killer speaker and one which you should get at its price point. I prefer it over the D1. But things change at the 2.1/2 stage. That, for me, is where the D series excels over the C series.

As for amps, I would definitely try DartZeel, Soulution and Audionet. Specifically, the Soulution 501/520 and Audionet MAX/DNP Preamp. I have heard the C1.1, D1, D3 and C4.1's with all of these. The Audionet is certainly a transparency leader. The Audionet DNP preamp is also quite interesting as well as it does everything under the sun including digital, phono, room correction, etc. Both the Soulution and Audionet have high damping factors which is ideal for the hard diamond Raidho woofers.

And for a bit of "Ying" to the Raidho "Yang" - try D'Agostino monos. A friend of mine has the D3/D'Agostino Amp/Preamp combo and loves it. I've only heard the D'Agostino amps on Wilson Alexia's, but it was quite magical.

Another friend of mine is having wonderful success with D3's and Absolare amps and preamp! Go figure that! So, you just never know. I hope to hear this combo in October.

I'm currently on the mission to find the best pairing for my D3's. Soulution 501/520 and Audionet MAX/DNP are my two favorites so far - but I have many more combo's to listen to.

Good luck with your dealership. Raidho is an excellent company and their products are very special.

Oh....and as for cables....don't forget Raidho's own line of cable products which just came out.....ANSUZ.

Lastly...remember...the speakers need a good 250+ hours to break in. Bass will change dramatically in that time.

Good luck!

Mike

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Have you listened to Devialet? Granted, I am using mine with only a pair of C1.1s but the weight and control is amazing. If you need extra power, they are configurable in 500W monoblocks as well.
To say I am jealous of you getting the D3s would be a bit of an understatement.

I have listened to the Devialet and it was excellent. I could see a Devialet 170 and a pair of C1.1's being a terrific pairing!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi guys,

All the best.

Wow...very exciting! Given your location, I would be interested in your thoughts on Vitus and Gryphon with Raidho as well...much tougher for people to find in the States but relatively straightforward in Europe.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing