Amps for Raidho D3's

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Barry

If only one could have the opportunity to line up all these amps side by side !

Agreed!
Just a thought FWIW. Have you checked out show reports and what amps they were using for the D3s?
Not foolproof but often helpful in my experience.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Hi ken

Thanks for coming back to me.

In fact Raidho came to see me and covered up 4 of the perforations. This certainly made a difference. I also bought an Ansuz Mainz 8 power distributor, power cables for the amps and speaker cables and Ansuz vibration control blocks for speakers, pre and power units and my dCs Vivaldi (Frits was very persuasive). After a period of running in I feel the sound is better. However I am still suspicious that my combination of Constellation Virgo II and Krell 400e mono blocks are not the final word in tight articulate bass with the Raidho D3.
So if I do go for an amplification change I am thinking going down the Soulution 725 (plus phono) and 711 route but am struggling with whether to go Constellation Perseus with the keep the Virgo II then just swap the old Krells for Soulution 7 series stereo power. All views welcome

Hi Ingul,

Soulution and Constellation amps work terrific with the D3's, right at the top of the list. Accuphase and D'Agostino also work extremely well. There is a long thread on Audio Shark that addresses which amps work best with the D3's. My Soulution 501's almost seem like their custom built for the D3's. Their high damping factor really controls the D3 woofers, which don't have a lot of mechanical damping. This is one of the reasons the D3's are champs at lower volume levels. This is also why they needed to add the perforated baffle behind the woofers (Version 2) to create some back pressure for high volume levels.

Best of luck,
Ken

maslak34

As good as the constellations are in the mid range, they lack control in my view. Solutions are great amps but to my ears, only to my ears they sound a little dry.

If you want mid range and control and a very fast amplifier ypsilons are a great match for raidho.

At a recent visit to raidho plant Michael told me the match of ypsilon set 100s with d5s were the best he heard.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
As good as the constellations are in the mid range, they lack control in my view. Solutions are great amps but to my ears, only to my ears they sound a little dry.

If you want mid range and control and a very fast amplifier ypsilons are a great match for raidho.

At a recent visit to raidho plant Michael told me the match of ypsilon set 100s with d5s were the best he heard.

Have you listened to the latest Soulution amps? The 501, 701 and 711 are more organic sounding than the 700 and 710, which some felt sounded a bit dry. In my opinion, the 501, 701 and 711 inject just enough warmth, while remaining fast, accurate and with terrific bass control. There is outstanding synergy with Raidho speakers, which already bring quite a bit of warmth to the equation.

I haven't heard the Ypsilon yet with Raidho but they are wonderful amps.

Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing