Review of Genesis 5.3 Loudspeakers

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Bob Grossman is the librarian for the Philadelphia Orchestra, and a professional musician - a bassoonist. He's someone who certainly knows his music, and he listens to an extremely wide genre from classical to techno. His wife (and also Peter's wife) have the better ears in the family, and they all absolutely love music. When I visited, we played everything from Diana Krall to didgeridoo.

Bob reviews the Genesis 5.3 for AVShowrooms.com and regards them as one of the most coherent speakers ever made and revealing of the most delicate of musical detail. He also says that they are "unflappable" - being able to play everything he has thrown at them, and never ever hitting their dynamic limit in his room. Even with the Burmester 911 Mk 3 amplifier.

They even interviewed me: http://www.avshowrooms.com/Genesis_5.html

Thanks for organizing this, Peter.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Daddy likes Progressive House too! :D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
One of the first things I said to you Gary when we met at TAVES last year, and I listened to the G5.3's you had on display, was how balanced or "coherent" they sounded. When properly set-up there is no fight happening between the ribbon tweeter, the mid-range and servo-controlled woofer. They sounded seamless to me and the music presented itself without effort. I love that these speakers (and mine - the G7.1f) have woofer/tweeter controls on the back, so I can customize the sound to the room, but also the music that I'm playing - although I try not to deviate too much.

BTW.....This Daddy says the 7.1f's can play some serious Prog Rock! :D

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
How much do these cost now? And I wonder how they compare to the Wilson Alexia's?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
How much do these cost now? And I wonder how they compare to the Wilson Alexia's?

The G7.2f is $12,000. You might be able to find a G7.1f like John has for $7k second hand on Audiogon.

Genesis speakers sound different from Wilson speakers. BruceB might be able to talk about the difference because he had a pair of my G6.1's in his studio just after his Watt/Puppy's. I still haven't had a chance to visit him since he got the Alexias so I can't comment (and won't comment about a competitor).

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

Not sure how much they cost now but I doubt they cost as much as the $48k Alexia's.

I have heard both speakers but for only about 30 min's total for each. It will largely come down to taste for most people. I personally would lean towards the G5.3 because I like the adjustability of the bass and treble. I also prefer the treble of the Genesis tweeter. I'm sure I could live with either one given the right eq to tune them to my personal taste.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
But for about half the price (if that's what the 5.3's still cost) I could live a lot more easily with the Genesis

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Will you be bringing them to TAVES?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I loved the video with Gary talking and the cat comes out of nowhere and paws Gary in the nads.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I loved the video with Gary talking and the cat comes out of nowhere and paws Gary in the nads.

That's nothing. I once had a cat jump on my chest and just hang there with it's claws. Luckily it was winter and I had a couple layers of clothes on so it did not pierce the skin much.:p I was in a customers home installing their cable tv.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing