Another Huge Shout Out To Edward Pong and Ultra Analogue Recordings

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
A few weeks ago I posted a thread here http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...and-Tony-Ky-Ma&p=209072&viewfull=1#post209072 regarding a compilation of classical music recorded by Ultra Analogue Recordings' Dr Edward Pong. Those who know me know I'm am somewhat illiterate to the complexities of classical music but always love to listen to it if it is chosen for me. I received 5 full tapes last week from Edward to try to get me immersed. Boy did he ever. The tapes came last week but as luck would have it my mother-in-law was here and only just left. As a result these 5 reels were sitting in my sound room literally unopened until yesterday. First impression....WOW

If I thought the last reel I posted on was so well recorded these 5 were truly special. The dynamics are so powerful that it makes me feel I am but a few feet in front of the stage. The timber of the cello and violin was staggering. The piano sounded magnificent. This was as real as it gets. The tapes are well recorded and Ed uses SM 900 tape and hence the dynamic range

From what I understand Ed also does all of his own miking and recording direct to his Studer A80. The mikes have been modified by our own Tony Ky Ma as well as Edward's electronics. Hence the incredible recordings.

I am also of the impression that most if not all these performances were staged at Edward's home and it must be an honor to have been invited to these performances. I have seen photos of some of the productions and they are as professional as they get.

Edward seems to live and breathe classical music and is one of the most knowledgeable individuals I have ever met regarding classical music.

Here is a list of the tapes I received and for those into classical and R2R format I can promise you that this is as real as it gets

1. Rossini Duo For Cello Double Bass in D, Allegro-Andante molto-Allegro

Gliere Four Pieces Praludium-Scherzo-Intermezzo-Tarantella

Performers Rachel Mercer, Jeffrey Beecher and Vanessa Lee

2. The Chaccones

Vitali-in G minor
Bach in D minor
Monti-Czardas

3. Mozart Duo in G major, K.423

Allegro-Adagio-Rondeau-Allegro

Handel-Halverson-Passacaglia

Debussy-Claire de Lune

4. Bach Cello Suite No. 2 in D minor BWV 1008

Prelude-Allemande-Courante-Sarabande-Minuet 1&2-Gigue

Beethoven-Seven Variations on "Bei Mannern"

5. Beethoven Piano Trio No.4, Op.70 No.1 (Ghost)

Allegro vivace e con brio
Largo assai ed espressivo
Presto

Beethoven Piano Trio No.5,Op.70 No.2-Allegretto

I had never heard of or was familiar with any of these other than Claire de Lune. I went to school on Edward's putt taking his advice on what to listen to and it was quite an experience. I listened to each tape twice and each time my jaws were wide open. These are amazing tapes, well recorded and for those who love classical music and looking for some new music I would definitely give an enthousiastic thumbs' up to Edward Pong and his Ultra Analogue Recordings.

Reactions: Zeotrope

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Excellent review and can't wait to hear them. Thanks Steve

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks for pointing them - you referred to these tapes sometime ago and I forgot. You have got a piece I love - the Duo for viola and violin in G. These instruments should sound great in the Lamm's.

I will soon order some tapes from them - although getting these reel to reel tapes from customs is always a nightmare, as they find the prices very suspicious!

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
This is with piano.

The violinist is Xiang Yu, he was the Yehudi Menuhin International Violin Competition winner in 2010 in Oslo Norway. That was the year the volcano in Iceland disrupted flights - he flew in the cockpit of the last flight in, was the last to play & won it all! Have a look at some of his videos on Youtube...I find his playing always captivating.

Last edited:

alexz

Jan 11, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
That is the most amazing thing, classical music review by someone unfamiliar with Bach Chaconne, Beethoven Ghost trio, Bach sonatas for solo cello etc.*
Seriously, *do you really believe Beethoven is about how violin sounds via latest Lamm? **

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
That is the most amazing thing, classical music review by someone unfamiliar with Bach Chaconne, Beethoven Ghost trio, Bach sonatas for solo cello etc.*
Seriously, *do you really believe Beethoven is about how violin sounds via latest Lamm? **

I think Beethoven would appreciate that the music lover enjoyed his musical composition. and he would not have a pompous attitude about someone also enjoying the sound. music can and should communicate to each of us in an individual way and we all can enjoy it on our own terms.

i'm a guy who does not know a great deal about Classical music, but over the years I've grown to love it and now listen to it 60-70% of the time. and I enjoy both some Classical recordings with relatively poor sound, and some others with great sound.

are you suggesting that not being technically familiar with these pieces would invalidate my enjoyment or opinion?

this is an audio website, not a school of composition or a Classical review site.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I don't really consider it a review of the music so much as a review of the sound.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

He could not care less. By the time he could afford a half decent stereo he was stone deaf.

Steve Williams

Alexz

did someone pee in your Grape Nuts this morning ?

I said right off that I am not a classical lover and have no knowledge of the genre but as MikeL says I am a lover of great music. If that is coming through my system then you know what, it's my ass in the sweet spot so I love to hear good music and it matters not what the components are.

It's guys like Edward here who try to grow members' love of classical music. It's guys like you who are au contraire, :)

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
I think great music is great music period.. classical or jazz or otherwise. Certainly one does not need to "understand it" to enjoy it. If it moves you, listen to it.

If it's an inspired performance of great music recorded well, then as audiophiles, we have a chance, thru our systems to be transported to the musical event. That's what we're all after..

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I am also a neophyte when it comes to classical music but these tapes blow my mind. I love the sound of the instruments. The recordings allow you to feel the room and the space between the performers.

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Interestingly, my 1st customer was in Germany & he told me he was a rock fan....now he tells me, he loves chamber music, in fact, the last tape he listen's to at the end of an evening is the Beethoven Cello Sonata #3 tape - his favourite! I never tire of hearing the harmonies in that piece - Beethoven was a genius, understatement!

alexz

Jan 11, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Alexz

did someone pee in your Grape Nuts this morning ?

I said right off that I am not a classical lover and have no knowledge of the genre but as MikeL says I am a lover of great music. If that is coming through my system then you know what, it's my ass in the sweet spot so I love to hear good music and it matters not what the components are.

It's guys like Edward here who try to grow members' love of classical music. It's guys like you who are au contraire, :)

Steve, you could be. right, about someone pee in my Grape Nuts...I already 10 times regretted posting my comment.
Nevertheless, the real serious question is, introduction to a new music, classical chamber in this case, should it come first from from listening great iconic performances, Beaux "ghost", or "archduke" trio Rubinstein, Heifetz, Feuermann, or Bach cello sonatas by Casals and Starker, or Richter, Rostropovich Beethoven ...or from sound pyrotechnics, when music is not really understood and emphasis is on sound transparency, imaging etc.

alexz

Jan 11, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think Beethoven would appreciate that the music lover enjoyed his musical composition. and he would not have a pompous attitude about someone also enjoying the sound. music can and should communicate to each of us in an individual way and we all can enjoy it on our own terms.

i'm a guy who does not know a great deal about Classical music, but over the years I've grown to love it and now listen to it 60-70% of the time. and I enjoy both some Classical recordings with relatively poor sound, and some others with great sound.

are you suggesting that not being technically familiar with these pieces would invalidate my enjoyment or opinion?

this is an audio website, not a school of composition or a Classical review site.
Mike,
I think the issue with "audio site" and entire "audio" approach is that goal of the audio system is not to deliver musical ideas, moods etc. but impress listener with "sound". In this case it is practically unimportant what to listen to as soon as it technically great recording. im not saying it is anything wrong with the good sound, but how to built and enjoy god musical system, if not by listening to a music, not sound.

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
My focus is always the music! the sound, if it's good, just enhances the experience. (that's why we all go to live concerts!)

in my tapes, performance is always 1st.....an uninspired performance with great sound is pretty useless.

Perhaps Larry, if you're close by, can you comment on what you've heard in the performances on these tapes?...

the historic performances are fantastic, but does that mean there are no good performers today??

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Steve, you could be. right, about someone pee in my Grape Nuts...I already 10 times regretted posting my comment.
Nevertheless, the real serious question is, introduction to a new music, classical chamber in this case, should it come first from from listening great iconic performances, Beaux "ghost", or "archduke" trio Rubinstein, Heifetz, Feuermann, or Bach cello sonatas by Casals and Starker, or Richter, Rostropovich Beethoven ...or from sound pyrotechnics, when music is not really understood and emphasis is on sound transparency, imaging etc.

Alexz,
Your post was so unfair that I would suggest you ask our moderators to erase it, and all references to it, including this post. This procedure has been done in WBF before and would allow a fresh start to what can be a nice debate - what is the best introduction to chamber music? Being simultaneously an audiophile and a lover of chamber music I could them post on the subject. But never in this regrettable context of Grape Nuts. All IMHO.

Steve Williams

Let the subject continue. We are all thick skinned here

My only point is that I allowed Ed to pick the music which I had never heard before and had no idea as to content and simply put the quality of these recordings is exceptional and all I did was a shout out to Edward for his wisdom and kindness. It had nothing to do with my system or my gear.

Let's move on

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,
I think the issue with "audio site" and entire "audio" approach is that goal of the audio system is not to deliver musical ideas, moods etc. but impress listener with "sound". In this case it is practically unimportant what to listen to as soon as it technically great recording. im not saying it is anything wrong with the good sound, but how to built and enjoy god musical system, if not by listening to a music, not sound.

Alex,

how does one get exposed to musical ideas? and at what rate does one become educated as to all the aspects of any type of music?

one listens and follows their tastes and enjoys. sometimes great sound is the first step into a musical genre. I know that is how it was for me. for others they might have been educated into the Classical repertoire at an early age or maybe thru involvement in classical music. or however. same with jazz. some of us have been into it all our lives. others come to it thru great sound and then investigate things deeper and deeper over time.

so painting people with a broad label that they are only in it for the sound is not fair and elitist.

sure; i'm into great sound; but I also love the music. i grew up into the 60's and 70's rock/pop. i have had no musical training and never really was into jazz or classical until i became a serious audiophile in the mid-90's. OTOH i have acquired lots of music over the years as I've been exposed to both jazz and classical and have grown to enjoy both. jazz was my first focus but now it's classical. i cannot tell you why i love certain performances but i know that i do. it's not important to me that i like them for 'the right reasons'. my friends who are classical experts (a music director/conductor of a local chamber symphony and a professor of music composition) teach me a lot and recommend some great recordings. but they don't put me down for liking something for great sound.

and neither should you.

please recommend recordings that might give us deeper insights into the music, that is a good thing. tell us about alternate performances and why they are worthy of pursuit.

we are all on a path, our own path, to musical enjoyment. encourage us by sharing about what you know and love.

thanks.

alexz

Jan 11, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Alex,

how does one get exposed to musical ideas? and at what rate does one become educated as to all the aspects of any type of music?

one listens and follows their tastes and enjoys. sometimes great sound is the first step into a musical genre. I know that is how it was for me. for others they might have been educated into the Classical repertoire at an early age or maybe thru involvement in classical music. or however. same with jazz. some of us have been into it all our lives. others come to it thru great sound and then investigate things deeper and deeper over time.

so painting people with a broad label that they are only in it for the sound is not fair and elitist.

sure; i'm into great sound; but I also love the music. i grew up into the 60's and 70's rock/pop. i have had no musical training and never really was into jazz or classical until i became a serious audiophile in the mid-90's. OTOH i have acquired lots of music over the years as I've been exposed to both jazz and classical and have grown to enjoy both. jazz was my first focus but now it's classical. i cannot tell you why i love certain performances but i know that i do. it's not important to me that i like them for 'the right reasons'. my friends who are classical experts (a music director/conductor of a local chamber symphony and a professor of music composition) teach me a lot and recommend some great recordings. but they don't put me down for liking something for great sound. and neither should you.

please recommend recordings that might give us deeper insights into the music, that is a good thing. tell us about alternate performances and why they are worthy of pursuit.

we are all on a path, our own path, to musical enjoyment. encourage us by sharing about what you know and love.

thanks.

Mike,
Sorry, I'm not explain myself clear enough. Nothing about labels or putting anyone down ... I'm myself guilty very much of often listening artistically mediocre performances because recording is great, finding boring performance compensated by great sounds, Is it music ?
All the above has nothing to do with Ed's tapes, sure they are great …

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing