Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I don't have any profound thoughts about it. As long as it heats up water to the set temperature and is able to maintain it, it should be OK.

There are some questions which can not be answered, though:

- what is its capacity - i.e. how much water can it heat up? Not specified in the specs list, but this also depends on your ambient temperature, whether your container is insulated, etc. Just looking at it, I would suspect it has less heat capacity than the industry standard Polyscience units, but then we are cooking at home and not in a restaurant. A powerful SV unit sometimes comes in useful when you need to change the temperature of the water in a hurry, but you can also use a kettle and pour boiling water in.

- how reliable is it? I remember reading a few reports of another SV unit on Kickstarter (name escapes me, not sure if it's the Nomiku or not) which had a high rate of DOA's. In any case, if you do a lot of SV cooking you should own a backup circulator.

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
Sansaire is getting sued by PolyScience (they have a patent on a molded plastic exterior). We'll see how things work out for them (does Sansaire have cash to fight the lawsuit, etc., etc.).

I've been using an Anova (they are known for lab equipment as well) and have been very pleased with their $200 offering. Here's a good review covering the 3 "cheap" immersion circulators:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous-vide-circulator-review-sansaire-nomiku-anova.html

They all heat ~6 gallons of water (enough for large cuts of meat, etc.).

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Can you throw one of Santa's reindeer legs in there? If so, Lloyd would probably buy one.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Sansaire is getting sued by PolyScience (they have a patent on a molded plastic exterior). We'll see how things work out for them (does Sansaire have cash to fight the lawsuit, etc., etc.).

Oh no! I'm waiting for mine to come.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

I've been using an Anova (they are known for lab equipment as well) and have been very pleased with their $200 offering. Here's a good review covering the 3 "cheap" immersion circulators:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous-vide-circulator-review-sansaire-nomiku-anova.html

I can't see how they can be sued. The tank is just a square-ish plastic tub. You could use a plastic or metal wash tub, any shape to do the same thing.

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
I can't see how they can be sued. The tank is just a square-ish plastic tub. You could use a plastic or metal wash tub, any shape to do the same thing.

No, not the tank. The actual exterior case of the immersion circulator is molded plastic (versus a metal shell that you'd find on an expensive pro model). They have a patent on the molded plastic (I don't know what makes it unique art.. perhaps the way that it snaps together).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing