Samsung OLED TV Review

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Seems like other than the curved screen and somewhat weak blue LED, it is a winner, beating out any TV CNET has ever seen or tested: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-kn55s9c/4505-6482_7-35823374.html

"....I completely forgot the curve, for a while at least, when I turned it on. I've spent more than a decade paying close attention to how black a TV screen gets, because that's the basis of contrast ratio -- the most important picture quality factor. My favorite analogy is that black is the canvas upon which a display paints, and OLED delivers the purest canvas yet, with a black that's truly absolute.

In the completely dark room I couldn't tell it was on. Then the Samsung logo appeared in the middle of the screen, and other unlike most other TV technologies that produce a more or less faint grayish glow in the shape of a 16:9 rectangle, the rest of the OLED's screen remained indistinguishable from the surrounding blackness. There was none of the "blooming" of imprecise local dimming either, just the starkest separation of black and white I'd seen on a TV.

The other half of contrast ratio is white, and OLED delivers. It's not capable of getting as bright as the most torchlike LED LCDs, but it outdoes the brightest plasmas easily, without sacrificing any of those absolute black levels.

The combination is all OLED needs to earn the picture quality crown. After a few tweaks to confirm basic settings, my first piece of program material was the stunning "Samsara" Blu-ray. During Chapter 3 (5:13) the image fades up from black to jungle treetops with a temple in the distance. From the the deepest shadows among the trees to the bright sky, the image looked better than any I've seen, lifelike and true. A bit earlier, the red of the erupting volcano and the skin of the baby, both set against a black background, looked as punchy as I could want....."

It is tempting to pull the plug despite the $9,000 price tag. :)

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
Seems like other than the curved screen and somewhat weak blue LED, it is a winner

Amazing that they seem to have decided upon an 'industry standard' of curved screens to differentiate them from LCD and plasma, but everyone hates it.

Sometimes, very clever people can be very stupid.

Samsung and LG both told us that flat OLEDs aren't coming any time soon, and LG at least admitted that the reason had something to do with differentiating OLED from other types of TVs.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I don't have any problem with curved screens.

* It's cool, it's different (in particular for viewers sitting outside the main sweet spot; center), and it's revolutionary (evolutionary?).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Seems like other than the curved screen and somewhat weak blue LED, it is a winner, beating out any TV CNET has ever seen or tested: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-kn55s9c/4505-6482_7-35823374.html

"....I completely forgot the curve, for a while at least, when I turned it on. I've spent more than a decade paying close attention to how black a TV screen gets, because that's the basis of contrast ratio -- the most important picture quality factor. My favorite analogy is that black is the canvas upon which a display paints, and OLED delivers the purest canvas yet, with a black that's truly absolute.

In the completely dark room I couldn't tell it was on. Then the Samsung logo appeared in the middle of the screen, and other unlike most other TV technologies that produce a more or less faint grayish glow in the shape of a 16:9 rectangle, the rest of the OLED's screen remained indistinguishable from the surrounding blackness. There was none of the "blooming" of imprecise local dimming either, just the starkest separation of black and white I'd seen on a TV.

The other half of contrast ratio is white, and OLED delivers. It's not capable of getting as bright as the most torchlike LED LCDs, but it outdoes the brightest plasmas easily, without sacrificing any of those absolute black levels.

The combination is all OLED needs to earn the picture quality crown. After a few tweaks to confirm basic settings, my first piece of program material was the stunning "Samsara" Blu-ray. During Chapter 3 (5:13) the image fades up from black to jungle treetops with a temple in the distance. From the the deepest shadows among the trees to the bright sky, the image looked better than any I've seen, lifelike and true. A bit earlier, the red of the erupting volcano and the skin of the baby, both set against a black background, looked as punchy as I could want....."

It is tempting to pull the plug despite the $9,000 price tag. :)

I saw the Samsung and LG OLED together at CES 2 years ago and IMO the LG was the better. What did Samsung do to improve theirs

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
They have not reviewed the LG yet so we don't know that it is better than that. LG uses a white LED to get brighter image and mitigate overdriving the blue too much to get high brightness. The down side may be that its contrast may not be as good depending on how they use the white element. We will have to see. For now, the LG is $15,000 which is a non-starter no matter what it does relative to the Samsung.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I read that article and felt depressed. They said that a 55" TV was "relatively small". Back when MY 55" plasma was new, I paid nearly as much as it cost to buy this 55" Samsung OLED! Now I can't even give it away for free.

As I understand it, the issue with OLED's is (1) they are difficult to manufacture in large sizes, and (2) they suffer from burn-in and short lifespan. For this reason they are OK to use in mobile phones, but I would be hesitant to invest in a TV of that size. My phone lasts me 12-18 months before I get a new one. I would expect my TV to last me 10 years or more. I wonder if they have solved the burn-in issues.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Unfortunately burn-in is a problem. Someone post a picture of the Samsung OLED at Harrod's dept store where it has been running for 2-months with menus on and it has already burned in. That said, this is a tough test having the same pattern for 2 months. It is a shame though that this negative comes with it.

Anyone buying this probably can afford to buy another in a few years :).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Well, any flat plasma panel would also be subject to that burn-in effect (unfortunate problem) in those same type of circumstances.

I can personally attest to that.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I posted that picture of the flat LG at Harrods and it looked even worse in person. However, it is clear that the set was bused but still...... I have spent some significant time with the curved Samsung. I hate the curve as well and would never buy one and there are issues with off axis viewing both from side to side and from underneath, all due to the curve. However, it does have the best PQ I have see head on ignoring the curved induced distortion. I have also seen no trace of burn in either. As to how the blue element will hold up on the Sammy, time will tell. The blue element is twice the size of the red and the green and it hit with half the voltage of the red and green also, all in an effort to improve the blue lifespan. I concur thata the set is too small. The fact that it can't be wall mounted is another deal breaker for me, along with the price of course. I will keep my 141 hopefully for a fre more years, until there is a 65 or 70 inch OLED 4K panel that fully implements the HDMI 2.0 standard, supports rec. 2020, 12 bit color and high dynamic range. Hopefully that will all be in 5 years.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Joe. That is good info. Didn't realize they were half driving the blue. Having seen Samsung OLED phones with burned in images at the local phone store, I remain cautious regarding their longevity.

Interestingly enough, I bought the very first Samsung 1080p set in US. After 6-7 years, it still going strong. I expected it to fail being that it was one of the first 1080p sets.

Back to the curve, I was at CES and saw it a lot more. It absolutely is a terrible attribute. I don't know if they have realized this or the absurdity is continuing but at CES they were showing sets with motorized frames that would go from flat to curved. As I wrote in another thread, someone asked him why one would want to do that. And the guy demoing it at first said he had no idea!

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
The reason they do the curve is because they can't sell enough flat panels and they are looking for ways to get people who have bought flat panels to by new ones, hence the curve. It is like flat sets are soooooo 20th Century, get the latest 21st Century innovation. We went decades longing to escape the distortions in CRTs and rear projection sets, now have perfect geometry and now companies like Samsung and LG want to go back to a curved screen! Absolutely insane. They and some others point to movie screens being curved, forgetting that large movie screen are curved because of projection focus issues. The screens are curved to compensate for the focus distortion issues to make the image look flat. The image on the film is flat to begin with. Why would you intentionally want to distort a flat image by using a curved screen? I have also read some promotion materials extolling the fact that in the sweet spot of a curved screen, the image looks flat! Well, I have seen the sets and that is not true at all. Furthermore, on my 141, the image looks flat from any angle you want to view the screen at. As to the issue of immersion, how can a 55" screen be immersive unless you are a foot from the screen. As for the motorized bendable displays, what happens when the motorization breaks? Hopefully this curved nonsense will end in 2015. End of rant!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hadn't thought about the CRT analogy! I think we just have to wait for Chinese to get into it. They will surely do flat and the Japanese/Koreans would need to follow.

On a more positive front, the explosion of OLED at CES was amazing. Mind you nothing had pricing or availability but seems like the industry is committed to pushing them out since likely it is the only thing that has any profit left in it for them.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I also heard that the "curve" was merely a marketing tool to present the public with something that would attract their attention in a saturated TV-buying market. I saw the LG 55" OLED the other day and would not consider it (despite the great picture) because of the curve.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The "curve" has definitely gotten them a lot of free press as they love to talk about such technology (look at all the attention on the phone side). I wonder though if in balance they have lost a lot of real customers.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I must say that I am a bit concerned that too many of the trade press are becoming cheerleaders acting gaga over anything new rather than taking a critical look at what is being produced.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing