Lamm m1.2

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
however you can get a Single ended Balanced cable which is what Nick did when he did my setup

Here is what he did

Pin 2 on the XLR to center pin on RCA, pin 3 on XLR to outer shield on RCA, Pin 1 on xlr connected to shield on XLR end and no connection on RCA

Your system is completely different from the L2 / M1.2 in technical terms - as far as I can read in the Lamm site the XLRs of the LL1 float (do not connect) the pin 3 and the ML3 grounds it.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Your system is completely different from the L2 / M1.2 in technical terms - as far as I can read in the Lamm site the XLRs of the LL1 float (do not connect) the pin 3 and the ML3 grounds it.

yes

My point however was that a SE Balanced cable can be made. I use them from my A810 to the Doshi pre and then from the Doshi pre to my Lamm LL1

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
The R1s are better than the Cr1s. But the CR1s are fantastic to my likings. And at that price point nothing similar that I know.

Not sure if you have a problem with the CR1s highs, the R1s may be your thing. They are very similar there. The R1s have more weight, impact or body if you like in the presentation, more punch. All happens in a larger scale and with a majestic presentation - And then the main differences happen in the low end. But mids and highs are very similar.

If you can listen to the R1s at you place with your gear. I did commit to them without, but I did like the CR1s very much so was confident. But if that would not have been the case, I would not have committed without having a long in house audition. Your TAD dealer, having bought the CR1s from him should be able to provide this. Maybe the more extended low end helps you with the highs as well. But I agree: to commit on such money, you have to love the speakers and have 100% no doubt on them.

If I'm not mistaken aren't the CR1 and Ref 1 coaxial driver the same? If so then how can they be "very similar" in mids and highs, they s/b identical other than low mids where the woofers start to roll in.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
If I'm not mistaken aren't the CR1 and Ref 1 coaxial driver the same? If so then how can they be "very similar" in mids and highs, they s/b identical other than low mids where the woofers start to roll in.

i connect my LL1.1 to the m2.2s via se cables and shorting plugs.

Last edited:

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
What do you guys think of Lamm M1.2 paired with VAC Master linestage to drive my Thiel CS 3.7s ?
I'm looking for very engaging organic sound with no brightness and good solid bass.
Needs to be a big upgrade soundwise coming from my Vitus SIA-025 Mk2 otherwise not worth upgrading.
Just to give you an idea my SIA-025 Mk2 outperformed Gryphon Diablo 300, Audio Analogue Absolute and Audionet Humboldt in my system.
I think class A makes the biggest difference on my speakers.
I'm also exploring full Jadis pre-power.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Give it a try. If you want it more organic try Mullard or Valvo tubes :)

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Give it a try. If you want it more organic try Mullard or Valvo tubes :)
I've been told 6922 Amperex Buggle Boy were the best for M1.2s any experience ?
Are M1.2 still very good amps by today's standard ?
Thanks

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Thieliste yes I would say so. Even they're specifications hold up to most to this day.

Tubes are in my opinion a matter of taste. The Valvos I had (Holland) are very close to the Bugle Boys. The Mullards I have can be had but are getting rarer, the 2492s. The stock tubes actually are not bad at all. Vlad did voice the amp with them and the tests conducted by Bascom were performed using the stock tubes. It just happened to be a real bonus that you can tube roll. Vlad did not make this easy however as he did not provide a window at the top of the chassis. The hex screws are also in imperial so people living in metric countries should take note not to loss the hex key provided.

Reactions: Thieliste

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Reactions: Thieliste

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
IMG_7683.jpeg

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
IMG_7684.jpeg

Reactions: tima

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
I had the TAD REF1 MK.2 several years ago before replacing it with magico m6s.
i ran 4x LAMM m2.2 amps with , and while enjoyed the overall sound immensely for a good 4 years, i always felt that the lamm didn't have enough oomph to really drive those speakers.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
TAD R1 loves TAD M700 amplifiers .
I did not checked the combination of Lamm/TAD.

you should also have low impedance good AC power for TAD R1.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Congratulations! Looks like things arrived safe and sound.
I have had that combination in my system and really enjoyed it with my JBL M9500 speakers.
Thank you,
I will report about the sound soon

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing