Lamm m1.2

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Hi all,

Do you think Lamm M1.2 would be a good match with TAD R1? Don't have experience with LAMM but heard good things of them. Or the Lamm M2.2? Don't understand very well the difference between both of them? They are priced at the same point, but the 2.2 doubles the power although not pure class A, no? Which should be better with the TADs?

thanks
Eli

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've not heard Lamm with TADs but have used and installed both M models in various systems. The 1.2 has more bloom and more density in the midrange but gives up grip and propulsion to its sibling. This can be addressed with the 2.2 by simply changing the tubes. USN Amperex 7308s is an example of tubes that can help the 2.2 approximate the 1.2 Reference coincidentally for about the same price difference. The 2.2 is still heavily biased into class A for the first 40 watts or so so they don't give up much with delicate events played in less complicated music if at all they do.

The 2.2 is the forgotten Lamm overshadowed by their excellent and deservedly famous SET brothers and the multi-awarded hybrid brother with the Reference appellation. Despite this, over here it outsells the Reference 2 to 1. As noted, the price difference is tiny, about $300 only. One thing to remember is that the 2 series came after the 1.2 Reference and thus is more similar to the 1.2 Reference than even the M1.1 that preceded the M1.2. The top board layout is nearly identical.

I've run 2.2s with loads as easy as the Von Schweikert DB-99 and as difficult as Infinity IRS 3 main towers. For loudspeakers that are a difficult load to be used in large rooms and played at realistic levels I would recommend the 2.2. Otherwise, I would recommend the 1.2.

There were some very good reports of 2.2s driving TADs at Axpona Chicago this year. Some of our members attended. I don't quite remember if the speakers were CR1s or Reference Ones.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
thanks for all the details. There are both models being offer second hand at about the same, although the M1.2 has less time on it. But not sure if it will be able to handle the big R1s. The TADs at Chicago I saw the pics and was the R1s with the M2.2

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Anytime Eli :)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
thanks for all the details. There are both models being offer second hand at about the same, although the M1.2 has less time on it. But not sure if it will be able to handle the big R1s. The TADs at Chicago I saw the pics and was the R1s with the M2.2

Hi Eli,

The full size Ref Ones TADs are easier to drive than my CR-1's. 90dB vs 86dB.

What did you finally end up doing?

Thanks!

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Hi Joe, nothing really. I had one of my Omegas broken for some reason at the beginning of August. Will not be able to fix them for a while given everything is closed here till September. So thought I will try other things in the meantime.

I think if something needs to be upgraded in my system for a large gain (perhaps...) may be the amps, but not sure. I like the Omegas a lot but don't know what I may be missing. So was looking for second hand that I could sell easily if I din't like, that my be "different" to my amps. Also for demoing other top name contenders, which I plan to do anyway. May start a post at TAD or take over the one that Joost started.

In any case the guy selling the M1.2 never replied after 2 or 3 messages so i guess he sold them.

BTW, I replied to you question on the E1s.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you Eli. I'll go read it. I need to give my TADs another chance. I have some tube gear coming and I am still urged to try Viola on them. Since getting my Revel Studio2 speakers, my desire to continue living with the CR-1's is on the decline. My Studio2 are even top to bottom and amazing performers. Maybe the Ref Ones might suit me better, but I am nowhere near making a commitment like that without extensive auditions.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
The R1s are better than the Cr1s. But the CR1s are fantastic to my likings. And at that price point nothing similar that I know.

Not sure if you have a problem with the CR1s highs, the R1s may be your thing. They are very similar there. The R1s have more weight, impact or body if you like in the presentation, more punch. All happens in a larger scale and with a majestic presentation - And then the main differences happen in the low end. But mids and highs are very similar.

If you can listen to the R1s at you place with your gear. I did commit to them without, but I did like the CR1s very much so was confident. But if that would not have been the case, I would not have committed without having a long in house audition. Your TAD dealer, having bought the CR1s from him should be able to provide this. Maybe the more extended low end helps you with the highs as well. But I agree: to commit on such money, you have to love the speakers and have 100% no doubt on them.

mojoetoo

Jul 25, 2014
alabama
Scheming to bring another pair of M1.2's in to drive an extra pair of Marten Birds for that veritable wall of sound. I may be way off but I'm thinking the 4 monos/4 speakers will provide oomph when necessary without strain/distortion while everything operates well within its own sweetspot. Lunacy? Would M1.1's mate well in this configuration or just muddy the waters?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Scheming to bring another pair of M1.2's in to drive an extra pair of Marten Birds for that veritable wall of sound. I may be way off but I'm thinking the 4 monos/4 speakers will provide oomph when necessary without strain/distortion while everything operates well within its own sweetspot. Lunacy? Would M1.1's mate well in this configuration or just muddy the waters?
Bi-amping definitely has its advantages, additional ease and overall more natural sound. It's always best to bi-amp with exact same amps, M1.1 & M1.2 share the same family character but aren't identical, M1.2 is more refined and open and has superior bass extension & dynamics.

david

Last edited:
Reactions: Amir

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What is the difference between a Lamm M1.2 and an M1.2 Reference? At what time did the model change?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What is the difference between a Lamm M1.2 and an M1.2 Reference? At what time did the model change?

It's always AFAIK been a reference amp. I think you might be confusing it with the Lamm M 2.2 which is different the the M 1.2 Reference

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It's always AFAIK been a reference amp. I think you might be confusing it with the Lamm M 2.2 which is different the the M 1.2 Reference

I see - it was M1.2 Reference all the time. Thanks.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Question for Lamm experts: when connecting a Lamm L2REf to an M1.2Ref what type of cable should be used for best sound quality - XLR or RCA with shorting plugs in the amplifier?

Steve Williams

Question for Lamm experts: when connecting a Lamm L2REf to an M1.2Ref what type of cable should be used for best sound quality - XLR or RCA with shorting plugs in the amplifier?

As you rightly point out Lamm uses XLR which are shorted to create a SE cable.

Having said that I use XLR IC from my Lamm LL1 to my Lamm ML3 amps

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Even if the L2 ref isn't balanced, I use XLR simply because it is a superior fit than RCAs.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Even if the L2 ref isn't balanced, I use XLR simply because it is a superior fit than RCAs.

Jack,

According to Lamm specifications and the Stereophile review the L2 Ref output is balanced :

pin 1 = signal ground;
pin 2 = non-inverting input (+);
pin 3 = inverting input (-).

If we use a XLR cable to connect it to the M1.2 it seems to me we are using a balanced connection. At less it seems so to me.

Input however is RCA only.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well I'll be darned, all these years.... :D

Steve Williams

Jack,

According to Lamm specifications and the Stereophile review the L2 Ref output is balanced :

pin 1 = signal ground;
pin 2 = non-inverting input (+);
pin 3 = inverting input (-).

If we use a XLR cable to connect it to the M1.2 it seems to me we are using a balanced connection. At less it seems so to me.

Input however is RCA only.

however you can get a Single ended Balanced cable which is what Nick did when he did my setup

Here is what he did

Pin 2 on the XLR to center pin on RCA, pin 3 on XLR to outer shield on RCA, Pin 1 on xlr connected to shield on XLR end and no connection on RCA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing