8ft long SUB w/ 4-18" Obsidian/SI drivers

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Replaced my bad amp with a new Behringer iNuke 3000 and now I'm rocking and rolling again. I still need another 3000 amp on the subs though.;) I had a great listening session tonight with the
Blue Man Group DVD, and a pipe organ CD. The sub does 16hz pedal notes very well even though it is tuned to 20hz, as there's some room gain in there too. Overall I'm very happy with the output and the sound quality of these drivers, a very good bargain in the world of DIY subs.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Having come from a pair of 18" Velodynes and now run a quad 15" IB, I can assure you the IB has very little distortion. The Velo's control distortion, but at the cost of headroom (they compress), the IB can hit very high SPL at super low distortion.

When testing my center channel (which is bolted to the top of my IB), I ran full range tests at 90dB SPL and the total system distortion was below 0.6% from 20 to 20Khz
Even at house shaking volumes, that IB Sub is uber clean.

Very cool...

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Finally did a response plot for my room today. I already knew that the room has a bump between 50-65hz when I've done these tests on my other previous subs, but I was happy to see that my -3db drop was at 16hz. The initial 20hz tuning frequency turned out to be a good design with the normal room gain added put me right where I wanted to be. I do listen to some pipe organ recordings with 16hz notes and they are quite nice already. The 6k watt Behringer iNuke amp is on its way, as now I'm clipping my 3K watt amp when I have the volume maxed out on the preamp.

Now I need to remove the Obsidian drivers this weekend and install some Stereo Integrity HT drivers in their place. I'll keep them in there until I find a buyer for this thing, so that I can make room for the next sub that will surpass this one in performance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing