Way Out West @ 45 RPM

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Remember how i complained that the 33.3 version (at least on Analogue Productions, I don't have an original early Contemporary pressing) was over-rated, largely because of the hard panning? Myles (and Mep, I think) urged me to try it on the 45, which is OOP. I found a sealed test pressing. It is unbelievable. I was wrong.
And glad I was.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
1959 IIRC. Sad statement on the current state of recording art today!

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
The AP 33 rpm version also had added reverb. I can't remember if this was done in mastering at the time of release, or just present on the non-master tape.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
What is interesting- I haven't compared the two, let alone an early pressing- is that on the 45 the 'hard pan' seems less objectionable. Either that, or my head got wider?
I have a bunch of Fantasy era (pre-Chad) copies of the record, but none that really qualify as 'early' pressings. Anybody got one of those?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I only have one copy of Way Out West and it is a reissue. If the 45 version sounds better, that has to be a real treat. I find this to be an outstanding recording and it puzzles me when someone says there is nothing special about it. The person who made that statement was referring to a digital version of the album which I haven't heard. Maybe the magic didn't translate over to the digits.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I only have one copy of Way Out West and it is a reissue. If the 45 version sounds better, that has to be a real treat. I find this to be an outstanding recording and it puzzles me when someone says there is nothing special about it. The person who made that statement was referring to a digital version of the album which I haven't heard. Maybe the magic didn't translate over to the digits.
So, how long does it take to drive from the midwest to NY? :)
It's killer, MEP.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What is interesting- I haven't compared the two, let alone an early pressing- is that on the 45 the 'hard pan' seems less objectionable. Either that, or my head got wider?
I have a bunch of Fantasy era (pre-Chad) copies of the record, but none that really qualify as 'early' pressings. Anybody got one of those?

Last Contemporary black label WOW went for over $300 on ePay. :(

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

This should give you a rough idea to date those Fantasy pressings: http://vinylbeat.com/cgi-bin/labelfocus.cgi?label=FANTASY&label_section=D,E,F

I don't have any on Fantasy, I have a 60s yellow label Contemporary pressing with machine stamped matrix (D and some number) that sounds damn good. But doesn't measure up to the AP 45 rpm; it lacks the density and dynamics. I was never bothered by the panning on the 45 rpm version, though it's been way too long since I've heard the AP 33.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing