I just lost all of the upper mid-to-high frequencies!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I spent a solid hour on Friday night setting up my equipment rack, making sure everything was level, yadda, yadda, yadda and then enjoyed some vinyl playback for several hours. It was wonderful. Same thing last night....it was wonderful.

After my time here and elsewhere this morning I decided that another listening session was just the thing I needed, so I took out some vinyl and proceeded to get setup and comfortable in my new room. Well, it didn't quite work out that way and I'm at a complete loss as to why.

I cued up my fave album (Ricky lee Jones) and all I heard was distortion at the mid-to-high frequency range. I cued up several other LP's and I noticed the same thing. So I thought that the best thing to do was verify all of my settings on the TT. I've spent the last 3 hours (if not more) trying to dial in on the problem to no avail. I'm completely at a loss other than thinking my cartridge (Grado Reference Platinum) is pooched.

The strange thing is that the lower to mid frequencies sound fine, it's the upper mid to high frequencies that are completely unbearable. HELP!!!!!!!!!

John

PS~ I'm pissed about this, because I can't afford to lay out the kind of cash I need for a new cartridge.:mad:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
of course and the vinyl as well.....

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-What is your amp and preamp or integrated or receiver what ever? Do you have any sources to listen to besides LP to see if the problem disappears or do you know that it is only coming from the table? Is the distortion coming from both channels or just one?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Also, do your speakers have "jumper bars" to connect the pairs of binding posts for single-wire applications? I'm not sure if your speakers have bi-wire posts, but be sure that the jumper is in place or that all the bi-wires are hooked up. One might have worked loose.

Lee

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Also, do your speakers have "jumper bars" to connect the pairs of binding posts for single-wire applications? I'm not sure if your speakers have bi-wire posts, but be sure that the jumper is in place or that all the bi-wires are hooked up. One might have worked loose.

Lee

But its unlikely 2 would have come loose.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My apologies for the late response guys. All cabling, connections and jumpers are in place. In fact, I check this almost weekly...just a habit I got into a while back. Now I have a really strange question which may or may not be related, but does HUMIDITY have anything to do with this. It has been a long hot summer (thankfully) and I keep my windows open most of the time. Could the variation in intemperature (literally from at night and during the day) have an effect on the performance of the cartridge/styli?

John

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Could you describe the distortions in greater detail John? Does it sound all mushed up?

Over in the tropics we usually track a bit lighter in VTF, sometimes a lot lighter when we're in the high 90s, with some cartridges because the rubber damping is just that wee bit softer. Try easing up on the VTF to the lower end of the tracking range recommended by Grado and let me know what happens. In fact go as light as you can without mistracking.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I spent a solid hour on Friday night setting up my equipment rack, making sure everything was level, yadda, yadda, yadda and then enjoyed some vinyl playback for several hours. It was wonderful. Same thing last night....it was wonderful.

After my time here and elsewhere this morning I decided that another listening session was just the thing I needed, so I took out some vinyl and proceeded to get setup and comfortable in my new room. Well, it didn't quite work out that way and I'm at a complete loss as to why.

I cued up my fave album (Ricky lee Jones) and all I heard was distortion at the mid-to-high frequency range. I cued up several other LP's and I noticed the same thing. So I thought that the best thing to do was verify all of my settings on the TT. I've spent the last 3 hours (if not more) trying to dial in on the problem to no avail. I'm completely at a loss other than thinking my cartridge (Grado Reference Platinum) is pooched.

The strange thing is that the lower to mid frequencies sound fine, it's the upper mid to high frequencies that are completely unbearable. HELP!!!!!!!!!

John

PS~ I'm pissed about this, because I can't afford to lay out the kind of cash I need for a new cartridge.:mad:

John.....you didn't, by chance, just turn 50? :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Could you describe the distortions in greater detail John? Does it sound all mushed up?

Over in the tropics we usually track a bit lighter in VTF, sometimes a lot lighter when we're in the high 90s, with some cartridges because the rubber damping is just that wee bit softer. Try easing up on the VTF to the lower end of the tracking range recommended by Grado and let me know what happens. In fact go as light as you can without mistracking.

I'm going to get back to you shortly on this as I want to have another look and listen. I was thinking that it isn't mistracking, because the low-end sounds fine....(throws hands up in the air).

EDIT: The Grado site only lists tracking weight of 1.5grams...no other references.

John.....you didn't, by chance, just turn 50? :)

Unfortunately I just turned 57 a few days ago!:eek:

John

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The process of elimnation works best. Most of us don't have a spare cart. lying around. I assume this only happens in phono mode. Any way to test he cart in another system?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

No other cartridge about....I shouldn't have sold the other Grado Ref Platinum, because that at least would have told me something about the cartridge or the styli. BTW..Grado wants $200 for a re-tip.

I've reset everything starting from top to bottom. I've set the VTF at the recommended 1.5g and the anti-skate at the same level. Time to go and check it out!

John

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Why not do a suggested and hook up a DVD/CD player and test out the rest of the chain to be sure? It doesn't sound like an AMP problem or speaker but you can focus your energy in the right place and know to be right :).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Why not do a suggested and hook up a DVD/CD player and test out the rest of the chain to be sure? It doesn't sound like an AMP problem or speaker but you can focus your energy in the right place and know to be right :).

I did Amir. I have an LG BDP hooked up that does duty as a temporary CDP...no problems.

I'm at the final stages and I may have some good news to report. I just need to do some real fine tuning first.

John

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing