Hall & Oates - Abandoned Luncheonette

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Decided to take this out and give it a spin after many years of having been ignored. Don't know why really, but I suppose like anything we make new acquisitions and some of our faves move further and further back into the pile to be played again. I wonder how many more I have that deserve to be brought into the limelight again? Probably a considerable number I must embarrassingly admit. Well, no more.......

A few weeks back while in Calgary and looking through my stash there I realized I have a great collection of albums, and they deserve to be played. A quick visual inspection indicated they are all in wonderful condition and my quest is to get them here as soon as possible. In the meantime I've started to clean and play the LP's I have with me that haven't seen the light of day in years, and sometimes decades. "Abandoned Luncheonette" is one of them.

It's only a standard Atlantic Canadian pressing but it plays beautifully. I'm really enjoying it!

IMG_0315.JPG

Reactions: PhonoDac2704

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I was never really a fan of Hall and Oat bags. I don't think I have a single LP or CD in my collection.

dingus

Mar 22, 2013
Graham, WA
I was never really a fan of Hall and Oat bags. I don't think I have a single LP or CD in my collection.
nice thread crap mep. H&O may not be everyones cup of tea, but not being able to appreciate their talents is a serious character flaw imo.

Abandoned Luncheonette is the album that introduced me to H&O and is excellent through and through.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Dingus. The only song I recognize from Abandoned Lunchonette is "She's Gone." Look, if I started a thread about the Beatles and someone said they never liked the Beatles, I wouldn't get lathered-up about it. There are tons of very talented musicians that aren't everyone's cup of tea. I just didn't want John to think his thread was being ignored. I just voiced my opinion. I do appreciate the slam though.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
hall does a good show on Paladia I think. Jamming with various musicians from different genre's at his upstate ny home. It sounds good to me. I can say that I don't have any hall and oates records or cd's. The shame of it....

mep

Apr 20, 2010
hall does a good show on Paladia I think. Jamming with various musicians from different genre's at his upstate ny home. It sounds good to me. I can say that I don't have any hall and oates records or cd's. The shame of it....

Yep. Like me, you have a serious character flaw according to Dingus. I just thought they were a little too pop sounding for my tastes in music.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
MoFi is reissuing Voices, Private Eyes and H2O. Friday Music reissued Abandoned Luncheonette last year. A chance for mep to get caught up.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have an original MoFi of Abandoned Luncheonette that I haven't listened to in years. I'll have to whip it out.
Hall & Oates was one of the very first record contracts I worked on when I was a kid lawyer.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/

watched it many times on vh1. he's had nick lowe, todd rundgren, maxi priest, keb mo, joe walsh, shelby lynne and many, many other guests/artist on the show.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Whatever happened to Oates?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm a big boy (and bigger than last year sadly), so you can say whatever you want here. I'm no super fan of H&O, but I appreciate a good album when I hear it. For my tastes in music A.L. qualifies as such.

I should have probably named the thread differently, as the point I was trying to make was that I'm enjoying some "older" product in my collection again. You could say I'm going back in time a bit, but yet....I see it as something fresh now and am enjoying the journey through the past.

Bill - Let me know how that Mofi is as my dealer has a copy...much appreciated if you could!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Wow! A year almost to the day since the last post. Kinda forgot about this, but I'm playing the LP now I remembered creating this thread. My domestic original sounds really good, but I'm loving this album more and more now, and I hope my dealer still has that MoFi copy.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Wow! A year almost to the day since the last post. Kinda forgot about this, but I'm playing the LP now I remembered creating this thread. My domestic original sounds really good, but I'm loving this album more and more now, and I hope my dealer still has that MoFi copy.

Did you ever get all those LPs moved from Calgary?

Tim

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I always thought most of Hall and Oates stuff was too poppy for my taste but as I've gotten older, can appreciate some of their music. Live from Darryl's House is a MUST for any music lover. Say what you want about their music, when you see how great a musician Darryl is (and his guest and accompanying band), it will make you jealous - wish I had that talent!! Really, look at some of the back programs- talent is incredible and a great way to spend some time.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
This thread inspired me to pop over to Live from Darryl's House for an episode. I chose Shelby Lynn. Wonderful. Oh and that's not pop, guys, it's soul. :)

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Did you ever get all those LPs moved from Calgary?

Tim

I brought back about 50 during my last trip, but my brother-in-law is hopefully bringing me the remaining 1,000 or so later this summer or early fall. That's his plan anyway.

I always thought most of Hall and Oates stuff was too poppy for my taste but as I've gotten older, can appreciate some of their music. Live from Darryl's House is a MUST for any music lover. Say what you want about their music, when you see how great a musician Darryl is (and his guest and accompanying band), it will make you jealous - wish I had that talent!! Really, look at some of the back programs- talent is incredible and a great way to spend some time.

Thanks , I'll check that out. Have put it on my wishlist and will check next time I visit my dealer.

This thread inspired me to pop over to Live from Darryl's House for an episode. I chose Shelby Lynn. Wonderful. Oh and that's not pop, guys, it's soul. :)

Tim

Correct! :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It only took me 4½ years since the start of this thread to finally secure a NM/VG+ (vinyl/jacket) copy of the MFSL reissue. Haven't played it yet, but I will soon enough.
2018 12 09.jpg

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We saw Hall and Oates at the Hollywood Bowl a few years back. They played with the LA Philharmonic in the annual 4th of July show.

I wasn't a Hall and Oates aficionado but enjoyed many of their songs. What I didn't realize was how much Daryl Hall carried the duo. Perhaps it was different in their earlier days but at that show it was obvious that John Oates was almost painfully introverted.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
We saw Hall and Oates at the Hollywood Bowl a few years back. They played with the LA Philharmonic in the annual 4th of July show.

I wasn't a Hall and Oates aficionado but enjoyed many of their songs. What I didn't realize was how much Daryl Hall carried the duo. Perhaps it was different in their earlier days but at that show it was obvious that John Oates was almost painfully introverted.
I'd heard the same about John being an introvert. Some guys just don't like being in the spotlight all that much.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing