That old audiophile chestnut

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Sometimes, I think that we shoot ourselves in the foot by playing (and demo-ing) music we love way too much. One of the guns that we use often is Jazz at the Pawnshop. However, of late since it's no longer fashionable to use it at audio shows, I've had a respite from it for the past couple of years.

Coming back to it recently, I found that I still love this album - both the music and the sound. It has its detractors who say that neither the performance nor the recording lives up to it's legendary reputation, but I disagree. It brings infectious fun, and it is real enough to transport me to the Stampen. I hear the band, the acoustic space, and the small round tables around the room with PEOPLE WHO CAN'T KEEP QUIET. The sound quality of the recording even surprised Gert Palmcrantz..... and it may have been due to him holding his Nagra IV tape recorder on his lap.

What is not well known is that the second reel of the original master tape went missing in the early 1980's, and it wasn't until Erland Boethius, son of Proprius founder Jacob Boethius, found it by sheer accident in mid 2000's. Besides the first pressing, all re-issues (including all CDs) were made with a copy of the second reel - until the K2HD version by Winston Ma, FIM in 2007. As a part of Winston's swan song, he wanted to produce the definitive version of Jazz in the Pawnshop, and I share his passion for this title.

So, here's the Fifth and Ultimate Version of Jazz at the Pawnshop.

JATP.jpg

I have almost every single re-issue of JatP, including the German ATR, and this one is simply better. More natural, with better space between the players and ambience. When it comes to a superlative recording, I don't find the dynamics to be what attracts me. It's the space and rest between the notes. Compared to the first pressing, it has a little less air, but my first press has been played so often that it's noisy, and I find myself enjoying this one so much more. The pressing by QRP is supremely clean and quiet.

I've got to admit though, that Winston gave me his test pressing. However, even if the production copies turn out to be 90% of the test pressing, this is still the re-issue to get if you don't have an lightly-played copy of the first press.

JATP TP.jpg

The album was re-mastered by Michael Bishop and cutting mastering by Doug Sax. I also had a small hand in production - carrying the mastertapes on my lap from Seattle back to Sweden. Robb brought them here, and I had to bring them back. No couriers allowed for first generation master tapes.

It's not on Winston's website yet http://www.firstimpressionmusic.com/

Quantities are limited, so give Henry at the FIM sales office a call at (425) 883-3330 to get your copy.

JATP production.jpg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Sometimes, I think that we shoot ourselves in the foot by playing (and demo-ing) music we love way too much. One of the guns that we use often is Jazz at the Pawnshop. However, of late since it's no longer fashionable to use it at audio shows, I've had a respite from it for the past couple of years.

Coming back to it recently, I found that I still love this album - both the music and the sound. It has its detractors who say that neither the performance nor the recording lives up to it's legendary reputation, but I disagree. It brings infectious fun, and it is real enough to transport me to the Stampen. I hear the band, the acoustic space, and the small round tables around the room with PEOPLE WHO CAN'T KEEP QUIET. The sound quality of the recording even surprised Gert Palmcrantz..... and it may have been due to him holding his Nagra IV tape recorder on his lap.

What is not well known is that the second reel of the original master tape went missing in the early 1980's, and it wasn't until Erland Boethius, son of Proprius founder Jacob Boethius, found it by sheer accident in mid 2000's. Besides the first pressing, all re-issues (including all CDs) were made with a copy of the second reel - until the K2HD version by Winston Ma, FIM in 2007. As a part of Winston's swan song, he wanted to produce the definitive version of Jazz in the Pawnshop, and I share his passion for this title.

So, here's the Fifth and Ultimate Version of Jazz at the Pawnshop.

View attachment 11276

I have almost every single re-issue of JatP, including the German ATR, and this one is simply better. More natural, with better space between the players and ambience. When it comes to a superlative recording, I don't find the dynamics to be what attracts me. It's the space and rest between the notes. Compared to the first pressing, it has a little less air, but my first press has been played so often that it's noisy, and I find myself enjoying this one so much more. The pressing by QRP is supremely clean and quiet.

I've got to admit though, that Winston gave me his test pressing. However, even if the production copies turn out to be 90% of the test pressing, this is still the re-issue to get if you don't have an lightly-played copy of the first press.

View attachment 11277

The album was re-mastered by Michael Bishop and cutting mastering by Doug Sax. I also had a small hand in production - carrying the mastertapes on my lap from Seattle back to Sweden. Robb brought them here, and I had to bring them back. No couriers allowed for first generation master tapes.

It's not on Winston's website yet http://www.firstimpressionmusic.com/

Quantities are limited, so give Henry at the FIM sales office a call at (425) 883-3330 to get your copy.

View attachment 11278

Looks like you shared in the notoriety Gary

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Why Michael Bishop Gary?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looks like you shared in the notoriety Gary

All I did was carry the tapes back and help set up the turntable for Winston to review test pressings. Occasionally, I listened to test pressings.... but on other titles. Not this one.

Why Michael Bishop Gary?

Winston used him for quite a number of titles in the past 2 years. On this one, Michael was the consultant. Doug Sax did the LP Mastering.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My 2 LP set that I got for 5 dollars is all in Swedish. I will have to check it and see if there is any date on it when I get back to Pleasanton.

Cheers, clink clink.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I wish as much effort had been put into squeezing the last bit of signal and blocking out the most possible noise from early Charlie Parker recordings, etc. As a live recording, JATPS is wonderful. As jazz, it's ok.

Tim

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I wish as much effort had been put into squeezing the last bit of signal and blocking out the most possible noise from early Charlie Parker recordings, etc. As a live recording, JATPS is wonderful. As jazz, it's ok.

Tim

+1

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Some people simply don't like any jazz that wasn't made by African Americans and I sort of understand that. That is the root of all jazz and heaven knows we have so much great American jazz that you could spend the rest of your life reveling in it. So, is JATP American style jazz? Not really. Do I appreciate it for what it is? Absolutely. I find the music to be fun and infectious to listen to. The recording is special and I don't even mind the sound of all the glasses clinking and the background chatter and laughter. It helps make you feel like you are a witness to a live event.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Some people simply don't like any jazz that wasn't made by African Americans and I sort of understand that. That is the root of all jazz and heaven knows we have so much great American jazz that you could spend the rest of your life reveling in it. So, is JATP American style jazz? Not really. Do I appreciate it for what it is? Absolutely. I find the music to be fun and infectious to listen to. The recording is special and I don't even mind the sound of all the glasses clinking and the background chatter and laughter. It helps make you feel like you are a witness to a live event.

+1

It's like I absolutely love Hans Theessink - but when people find out that he's a white Dutchman living in Austria, all of a sudden it's just OK blues. He plays Delta Blues and Roots in case anyone wonders.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
+1

It's like I absolutely love Hans Theessink - but when people find out that he's a white Dutchman living in Austria, all of a sudden it's just OK blues. He plays Delta Blues and Roots in case anyone wonders.

He had a terrific song on the 2nd Burmester Reference CD

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Tim

My feelings exactly. The style is just not my type. Awesome recording however. I have a few different presses played only when requested by auditioners.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
+1

what make hans legit is that he records with known players like ry cooder. his latest Lp delta blues with terry evans is very good as are the sonics on most of hans' records which are top notch.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Some people simply don't like any jazz that wasn't made by African Americans and I sort of understand that. That is the root of all jazz and heaven knows we have so much great American jazz that you could spend the rest of your life reveling in it...

same goes for the entire three blind mice catalog, mainly jazz standards played with little to no feeling by average to good japanese-based musicians but with sonics to die for.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Gary, My guess is that Winston would release the "new" JatTP on his newest version UltraHD:

http://www.firstimpressionmusic.com/product_p/limuhd071le.htm

He told me it's better than K2HD... ;)

We need to ask Winston if this Ultra HD CD is from the same master tapes.

I have the UHD set from Winston. Very nicely done. It has all three albums, Vol I, II and III and a DVD of interviews. I had the old K2 version and this is superior, as are all the UHD's for which I had other versions. I'm quite certain that Winston is using the original master tape. Michael Bishop has been doing most of Winston's recent work, including a bunch of Telarcs that he did originally. I have a few of the original Telarcs which I compared to the UHD releases. The UHD are all better. Winston told me that after listening to the new format compared to K2, that Sony and Universal will be switching to UHD for their high end releases.

Larry

Disclaimer - I am now working part time for Winston. In addition to the Decca book, I will be doing liner notes and some other work for him.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have the UHD set from Winston. Very nicely done. It has all three albums, Vol I, II and III and a DVD of interviews. I had the old K2 version and this is superior, as are all the UHD's for which I had other versions. I'm quite certain that Winston is using the original master tape. Michael Bishop has been doing most of Winston's recent work, including a bunch of Telarcs that he did originally. I have a few of the original Telarcs which I compared to the UHD releases. The UHD are all better. Winston told me that after listening to the new format compared to K2, that Sony and Universal will be switching to UHD for their high end releases.

Larry

Disclaimer - I am now working part time for Winston. In addition to the Decca book, I will be doing liner notes and some other work for him.

Thanks, Larry. I had a very early test pressing of the UHD and I didn't think that it surpassed the K2HD and told him so. That was more than 8 months ago..... so he must have improved on it countless times since. I've got to get a copy of the UHD.

I've also got the test pressing of the 1812 LP, and it's better than my original Telarc. He somehow managed to get even more dynamics out of it - but I have only 1 cartridge that can track it. On the other hand, my Telarc sounds like it has been damaged with previous plays as the carillon sounds distorted compared to Winston's version.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
In my experience, jazz has more respect in Europe than in the US as a music form- where it is pretty sidelined to a small niche. And so many great US musicians of all types make a lot of their live performance income in Europe during the summer.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
In my experience, jazz has more respect in Europe than in the US as a music form- where it is pretty sidelined to a small niche. And so many great US musicians of all types make a lot of their live performance income in Europe during the summer.

that and the fact artists like charlie parker, billie holiday, miles davis, et al were treated like royalty in places like france while in their own country black folks couldnt ride the bus with whites or share the same drinking fountain.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing