Sonus Faber Guarneri's

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I love my Sf GH's. I know that many of us use the GM's and love those too.
Much disagreement on the web as to which drivers the GH's use.
Some believe they use the AudioTechnologie Mid/Bass driver and the Dynaudio Esotar's
Others feel they use the Dynaudio Mid/Bass driver and the Dynaudio Esotec tweets.
In any event, whatever these speakers use, I love the sound that they can reproduce in a
small room and I know that many listeners around the globe agree. If you are looking for
a smaller high-end speaker that can reproduce the midrange and high end response of
a live instrument, these are IMHO some of the best available.
Sometimes, I think that we forget that a speaker has to mate well with a room; I have heard many
systems that are located in small rooms ( which BTW, I think are probably more common than
large dedicated rooms in our hobby) utilizing speakers that are way too large for that room.
It took me nearly 20 years to realize that the speaker/room interaction is maybe the most crucial aspect of reproducing sound in our hobby. (ok, I'm a SLOW learner) But I am willing to bet that most of you go for the larger speaker with more drivers if that is an option in your budget. Interestingly, that can be a major mistake if that speaker ( which sounded great in the showroom or a friends system or a show) doesn't work in your room. Seems obvious, BUT it isn't.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
A picture says more than a thousand word!

:)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Or.. As someone said... " the worst it looks, the better it might sound" OSLI!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Or.. As someone said... " the worst it looks, the better it might sound" OSLI!

There's something to be said for that. I think some would rather the company put the money inside the equipment, not the box.

OTOH, one might make an argument that the lack of attention to looks keeps many components out of some homes.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Beautiful Davey.

Loooks IMO are to satisfy WAF otherwise they all look the same as I always listen with lights out
I heard that trick works with fat girls too.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
As the old saying goes: " Beauty is in the ear of the beholder" or something like that.:confused:
OTOH, I actually didn't buy my SF GH's for their looks, although that certainly didn't hurt,
at the time I was hoping, as a side benefit, that the WAF factor may be an improvement on my last pair of speakers;Oh sure, one look at the SF's and the better half says..."So what, another damned speaker in your room" and proceeds to go back to her chatting on the phone:mad:
You guys that are married long enough probably know that WAF is a myth:(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
As the old saying goes: " Beauty is in the ear of the beholder" or something like that.:confused:
OTOH, I actually didn't buy my SF GH's for their looks, although that certainly didn't hurt,
at the time I was hoping, as a side benefit, that the WAF factor may be an improvement on my last pair of speakers;Oh sure, one look at the SF's and the better half says...So what another damned speaker in your room and proceeds to go back to her chatting on the phone:mad:
You guys that are married long enough probably know that WAF is a myth:(

What I find interesting is that SF pioneered the "grill clothless" look. Then a bunch of other companies copied it.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
I'll bet. If I ever let my Dunlavy's go it will be for either the Stradivari's or the Homage. Sonus Farber make great speakers.
John, I'd love to hear a pair of Stradivari's, but they're rarer than hen's teeth around these parts... :-(

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
John, I'd love to hear a pair of Stradivari's, but they're rarer than hen's teeth around these parts... :-(

A local dealer had a pair of Stradivaris for a while driven by some Air Tight ATM-211's (I think). They were just beautiful in both sound and sight.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The Elipsas would probably be the onle SF I would consider to replace my Guarneris, but I am not in a hurry! :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have heard the Elipsas and the Strads. I personally wouldn't replace the GH's with the Elipsas. The Elipsa does go down a lot deeper and with far better pitch definition, however, IMHO it doesn't image nearly as well as the GH and its midrange is not in the same league as the GH.
The Strad, well that's a different story... In a VERY large room, which is where I think a Strad has to live, it's got most of what the GH's have and it can plumb the depths with ease. The Strad is IMHO NOT a small room speaker ( which probably applies to the Elipsa as well), whereas the GH's shine in a small room and need a sub in a larger room.
The SF Fenice, well I haven't heard that BUT I suspect I would replace the GH's with that one..:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing