ARC Ref Phono 10 & Ref 10 in the Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Visited my long time friend and ARC Philippine dealer and listened a bit to his new top line Ref Phono 2 and Ref 10, with a pair of Ref 210s driving the Duntech Sovereigns.

111.jpg 112.jpg 114.jpg 113.jpg

He also has on 'stand-by' ARC 610T, 600, VTM 200 and VT100, among others.

119.jpg

Oracle Delphi VI with SME IV and Koetsu Black:

Duntech Sovereign:

And a pair of Mark Levinson ML-2 on standy-by as well.

As I have not been in this room for years, I can only size up a general impression, which is a smooth, grainless overall sound with rich sumptuous bass. Overall, very musical to the ears.

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
Great looking room! And a lot of tubes!!!! Isn't it hot in the Philippines as is?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great looking room! And a lot of tubes!!!! Isn't it hot in the Philippines as is?

Oh yes it's hot here. Even in December it is hot. :D

Owners of things like the 610T have big aircons to cool the room, and usually it takes 1-2 hours to cool down the room to moderately cold levels.

The the back of where we sat is a pair of Jadis Eurythmies. Like Roman guards standing behind you while you listen. :D Pardon the picture quality, taken from a phone camera.

110.jpg

Last edited:

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Guys, you haven't seen nothing yet! His inventory of audio equipment reads like a Who's who of greatest components ever built, from the the fabled Marantz, Mcintosh, Jadis, krell, all the great ARC gear from the inception of the company, celestion, quad, Dahlquist, Rogers LS35a, Sonus Fabers, B&W, etc etc etc These are all spread out in his two stores and his house.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Guys, you haven't seen nothing yet! His inventory of audio equipment reads like a Who's who of greatest components ever built, from the the fabled Marantz, Mcintosh, Jadis, krell, all the great ARC gear from the inception of the company, celestion, quad, Dahlquist, Rogers LS35a, Sonus Fabers, B&W, etc etc etc These are all spread out in his two stores and his house.

True. The bigger store, which I regard as an 'audio warehouse' right in the heart of Manila, is very impressive, specially for lovers of vintage audio gears. It's like going into a labyrinth. Front of store has many gears in tall steel racks, then inside a small demo room of all sorts of audio toys. Above it is a mezzanine that house even more toys. Then turning left or right, whatever, one enters a room with little audio gears BUT there are at least 2 floor to ceiling cabinets full of Scott and Fisher gears. Then going down a short staircase, unravels a warehouse full of huge vintage speakers. Infinity 4.5s, double Quads, etc. There is even a speaker called The Great White Shark. I could not forget its name since I heard it in the early 80s. :D One day, I should take some pics of this 'warehouse'. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In one of my architectural fantasies, I'll have a pair of Eurythmies in a mid-century modern house overlooking a valley.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In one of my architectural fantasies, I'll have a pair of Eurythmies in a mid-century modern house overlooking a valley.

Like a couple of 'French Gendarmes' manning your 'villa', Jack. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You know Phil? I haven't actually heard them. I saw them a few times at JR's but they were never connected. Boy, they really would look great in a mid-century modern house with lots of wood, stone and glass. It would be darned awesome.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You know Phil? I haven't actually heard them. I saw them a few times at JR's but they were never connected. Boy, they really would look great in a mid-century modern house with lots of wood, stone and glass. It would be darned awesome.

I can imagine, Jack.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So what's our buddy Senor bringing to the show? We're going budget/compact system this year. Might even go the integrated route. I don't think I'll have the energy to do a complicated display since Jim and I will be arriving from Tokyo only a few days before.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So what's our buddy Senor bringing to the show? We're going budget/compact system this year. Might even go the integrated route. I don't think I'll have the energy to do a complicated display since Jim and I will be arriving from Tokyo only a few days before.

I haven't asked him yet. But judging from past shows, he always bring multiple systems in, big and small speakers, vintage and current electronics. That Oracle VI is one lovely looking table. I hope he brings it to the show.It has always been in my dreams since I passed on the Delphi III and went VPI HW19. But alas, today, the Delphi VI is in the 5 figures range. It started at around $1000. Miss those times.

And I know the feeling of tiredness in show as an exhibitor. Really draining. Small is beautiful.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing