New Oppo (Beta) Firmware Upgrade

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
Taken from Oppo website:

Release Notes:

This release is for the OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Blu-ray Disc players.

Special Notice:

Once this Public Beta firmware is installed on the player, you can revert back to the previous Official release via a USB thumb drive. There will be no issues upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.
Due to the extensive changes in this major firmware update, it is required that the user performs a "Reset Factory Defaults" operation after the firmware is installed. Please write down your special settings before doing this, and remember to re-apply your settings and adjust the proper volume level (if applicable) before you play any content. You may experience stability issues if this step is not performed.

Comparing to the previous Official release version BDP10X-58-0719, the major changes included in this version are:

This Public Beta firmware is designed to work with a new version of the Apple iOS control application, Media Control HD V2.0 for iPad and iPad mini, which adds new features such as SMB access, album art display, media category support, and the ability to post to popular social networks. This application will be available on the App Store shortly.
Added automatic sorting of content when accessing files via SMB. The files/folders are now sorted in alphabetic order.
Improved CUE file support. Now a CUE file can point to multiple music files located in the same folder.
Resolved an error related to configuring the BDP-105's dedicated Stereo Audio Out. Customers had reported that audio from the surround channels can still be heard from these dedicated Stereo Audio outputs even though "Stereo Signal" has been set to "Front Left/Right".
General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.

All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thanks!

It's a 'Beta' firmware (non-official).

* It's good that Oppo always support their BD players. ...Because they do need those firmware updates (upgrade) indeed.
I have the 103, and I can find faults from it at regular intervals (steady basis).
And spending all your time on audio/video forums at understanding, trying to resolve your issues, asking questions, trying solutions that don't always work could become quite irritating. ...It is certainly not a pleasant way to live.

But we all need upgrades, because if we don't the players simply die. ...They can't play everything, and when they do they don't do it perfectly and it becomes a good life's lesson at learning in controlling our frustration.
The real solution, very often, is to be very flexible, and have more than just one Blu-ray player (I have four, connected just in my main rig).
But not everyone is me, or as perfectionist. ...For my movies at least that is.

PLUS! You have to be always careful with new firmware updates, because they can cause more damage than good.
Best philosophy: If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it. ...And if it is broken, the worst that can happen is that it'll remain broken. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing