Thread: Test Records

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar

Test Records

Much to my delight I came across a HI-FI SOUND Stereo Test Record (AFS 69) in my Calgary stash. I looked at it and knew I didn't buy it, so I had to think long and hard as to how it got there. Then I remembered using it decades ago for testing a new Grado 8MZ cartridge. A friend of mine lent me this and I guess I never gave it back to him. (Sorry Raymond). We've drifted apart due to moves and such, otherwise I'd give it back. Oh well.

Anyway, I must have misplaced the datasheet that came with it, but found one online this morning. I sent it to my work email for printing it off tomorrow.

The record is minty, so it should still be a usable item. However, it was produced in 1969 and I'm wondering if the test procedures they used then are still relevant today?

Here are pics of the front/back:

Name:  IMG_0300.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  162.2 KBName:  IMG_0301.JPG
Views: 629
Size:  221.1 KB
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    John,

Only now I found your post - you got an excellent test disk - I own the HI-FI SOUND 81 Stereo Test Record (AFS 81), a less old version of it. Track 1 of side 2 is great for adjusting lateral azimuth of tonearms - you should adjust for equal crosstalk for both channels. I also use track 4 with a wow and flutter meter to adjust motor power and belt tension of my turntable.

Johnny, you might consider calling or emailing Gerard at UHFmag about your concerns ... I find him very forthright and helpful. As per that disk, I've read Gerard's views on other such disks, and I would agree ... many are useless, and some advocate incorrect practices (such as those that use a flat un-modulated groove for anti-skate settings). This one might be one of the better ones ...

tb1

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Johnny, you might consider calling or emailing Gerard at UHFmag about your concerns ... I find him very forthright and helpful. As per that disk, I've read Gerard's views on other such disks, and I would agree ... many are useless, and some advocate incorrect practices (such as those that use a flat un-modulated groove for anti-skate settings). This one might be one of the better ones ...

tb1
    Although - I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that it's the same Hi Fi Sound that became UHF?

Although - I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that it's the same Hi Fi Sound that became UHF?
    Of that I'm not sure, but a note to Gerard is good advice. I've just rearranged a lot of my vinyl as I bought another storage unit, so I need to look for the LP (again).
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

've just rearranged a lot of my vinyl as I bought another storage unit, so I need to look for the LP (again).
    Johnny, didn't you just have it in your possession? However, who am I to "talk" ... I recently misplaced a turntable-mat which I only use for cartridge alignment / setups - gone within the small confines of my listening room. I've looked everywhere ... perhaps it didn't want to partake in any further abuse - so it went "I'm outta here" ... left all by it lonesome ... but my guess ... well, it's as good as yours ...

tb1

Johnny, didn't you just have it in your possession? However, who am I to "talk" ... I recently misplaced a turntable-mat which I only use for cartridge alignment / setups - gone within the small confines of my listening room. I've looked everywhere ... perhaps it didn't want to partake in any further abuse - so it went "I'm outta here" ... left all by it lonesome ... but my guess ... well, it's as good as yours ...

tb1
    I have it....just don't know where I placed it. Won't take me long to find......it's just a hassle and reminds me that I really need to get a better system in place.

I have it....just don't know where I placed it.
    perhaps you only "think" you have it ... as I now do ...

Old thread I know but
    Hifi sound was published by Haymarket in the U.K.