LP outer sleeves

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've bought like 50 or so new vinyl releases in the last year and want to protect them properly. At between $25-$75 a pop they certainly warrant some additional protection to reduce wear and tear. Many of them came with a tear-away strip on one side, but I find them to be a real pain to remove and re-insert from my storage cabinet. As such, I'd like to go with a sealed outer sleeve, which I know are available ( I have a few).

The problem is that I can't read the spines properly. Is there an outer sleeve available that is both clear and doesn't have a seam to obstruct the spine information?

John

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The only ones I have found are the mylar type sleeves--but they don't last too long if you play your albums regularly. They may look nice but the mylar outer sleeves aren't built for heavy usage.

Maybe the solution is glasses :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The only ones I have found are the mylar type sleeves--but they don't last too long if you play your albums regularly. They may look nice but the mylar outer sleeves aren't built for heavy usage.

Maybe the solution is glasses :)

Smarta$$!:p I will admit I need a new prescription though!

It's not the end of the world or anything, but I felt like starting a new thread and figured "hey, let's talk about something light on a Sunday morning!". :D

I've never ordered anything from Sleevetown, so I might give them a try.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John,

Here is the link for Sleeve City/Sleeve Town:

http://www.sleevetown.com/

They do have nice products.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Was just there. Saw your post here and over at Blu-ray.com......Great news on the OMA NY's....you have got to be one of the most patient peope in the world. And I'm so glad it is all finally coming together for you!

John

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i use either the 3 mil or 4 mil plastic outer sleeves. yes; they are tough to read the spines but as i know what i'm looking for anyway and where it is it has never seemed to be a problem. i do have over 10k Lps and over 5k which are cleaned and organized. if i can't easily tell the specific Lp i'll pull 5 or 10 slightly out of the shelf from approx where i know the specific Lp is and then i can see each one easier. i can even find them easily in very dim lights.

i've just not had an issue with this. i'm 58 years old and do need reading glasses to make it easy but can find things mostly without them. cueing to the exact spot for a particular inner track or cleaning the stylus can require the reading glasses.

btw; Chad (acousticsounds.com) does keep his prices low on things like sleeves. i've compared his prices to the generic websites and his are typically slightly lower.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
i use either the 3 mil or 4 mil plastic outer sleeves. yes; they are tough to read the spines but as i know what i'm looking for anyway and where it is it has never seemed to be a problem. i do have over 10k Lps and over 5k which are cleaned and organized. if i can't easily tell the specific Lp i'll pull 5 or 10 slightly out of the shelf from approx where i know the specific Lp is and then i can see each one easier. i can even find them easily in very dim lights.

i've just not had an issue with this. i'm 58 years old and do need reading glasses to make it easy but can find things mostly without them. cueing to the exact spot for a particular inner track or cleaning the stylus can require the reading glasses.

btw; Chad (acousticsounds.com) does keep his prices low on things like sleeves. i've compared his prices to the generic websites and his are typically slightly lower.

Hi Mike,

I've ordered inner sleever from Chad in the past, so I may give his outer sleeves a try. So thanks for that!:)

At the end of the day it's not big deal, and like you, I know pretty much where everything is stored and can tell by the colour or shading which LP I'm looking at many times. I suppose it was more of a convenience and aesthetic question.

10K collection, eh? Wow! And here I thought my roughly 3K collection was substantial!

John

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Mike,

I've ordered inner sleever from Chad in the past, so I may give his outer sleeves a try. So thanks for that!:)

At the end of the day it's not big deal, and like you, I know pretty much where everything is stored and can tell by the colour or shading which LP I'm looking at many times. I suppose it was more of a convenience and aesthetic question.

10K collection, eh? Wow! And here I thought my roughly 3K collection was substantial!

John

Yeah they multiply like cockroaches :(

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,

John

hi John,

as Myles mentioned those thin skin clear sleeves with the squared corners are fragile so are impractical for heavy use. i pitch'm when i run accross them. simple and strong is best so it's easy to use them. if something is fragile i avoid it. what good is an Lp that looks pretty and i can read it but i avoid it because it's too much hassel.

3 months ago i purchased a 2200 (mostly classical) Lp collection, and i've purchased other smaller collections in the past. out of that collection i've separated about 1000 of nicer Lps and so far have cleaned and listened to about 500.....which have been added to my 'in-play' cataloged Lps.

having a high number of total Lps does not mean much as there are lots of relatively 'deadbeat' Lps. 3000 Lps that you have choosen specifically, like, and listen to is a substaintial collection. if i buy a collection i'm rationalizing how many of those Lps will end up being listened to more than once.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing