Kharma - Still a popular brand after Valin got new reference speakers?

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
To be a continued hit in the market you need to constantly develop your product line. While the competition like Magico, YG, Wilson, Rockport, Avalon, Tidal, Genesis, JM Lab etc are reinventing their line by introducing new and improved models, it seems as though Kharma is content to keep with the same basis models and develop details on them while raising prices to stay with the competition. I am not sure if using time and energy to introduce diamonds and leather finish on the speakers are competitive with introducing a new model with new technology and better sound. That is if the target market is mostly concerned about sound and not how the leather on the baffle matches the leather on the couch in the reception area of their yacht. That might not be the target market though, and that is what might have happened to Kharma.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Mike,
I am hosting the LP275M's - can you clarify the comment about the transformers? BTW, I have now found that these particular 275's already have all cj Teflon coupling and decoupling capacitors, although the data on the cj site does not refer to it. .

Can I ask what is your opinion about the MM2 with cj's?

Think you meant me. The LP275 is essentially the same as the ART with one major difference: the driver stage. AFAIK, the 275 uses all Teflon caps.

I think the MM2 is much better eg. more open, low level information and dynamics and less smeared than the MM1. Caveat is that you have to also put the network boxes on tiptoes as I mentioned in another post (Just as with the MIT).

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The boulder/zanden approach ,thank god for that ,the voicecoil box system cant be reinvented it can only be perfected to some extent,a lot of audiophiles are being led by big magazines ,flavour of the month stuff.
if one designs a speaker that sounds good and looks nice great ,better still
its almost like you say that a good sounding speaker has to look basic,the clients kharma is aiming at want both and have the $$
A company that reinvents its models constantly has either no succes , hasnt thought through the first model or has no designdirection philosophy what so ever

ps. i forgot Cat and some others.... off course
To be a continued hit in the market you need to constantly develop your product line. While the competition like Magico, YG, Wilson, Rockport, Avalon, Tidal, Genesis, JM Lab etc are reinventing their line by introducing new and improved models, it seems as though Kharma is content to keep with the same basis models and develop details on them while raising prices to stay with the competition. I am not sure if using time and energy to introduce diamonds and leather finish on the speakers are competitive with introducing a new model with new technology and better sound. That is if the target market is mostly concerned about sound and not how the leather on the baffle matches the leather on the couch in the reception area of their yacht. That might not be the target market though, and that is what might have happened to Kharma.

Last edited:

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
The boulder/zanden approach ,thank god for that ,the voicecoil box system cant be reinvented it can only be perfected to some extent,a lot of audiophiles are being led by big magazines ,flavour of the month stuff.
if one designs a speaker that sounds good and looks nice great ,better still
its almost like you say that a good sounding speaker has to look basic,the clients kharma is aiming at want both and have the $$
A company that reinvents its models constantly has either no succes , hasnt thought through the first model or has no designdirection philosophy what so ever

ps. i forgot Cat and some others.... off course

Both Zanden and Boulder have recently brought brand new models to the market which are improved over their previous efforts. Doesn't companies like Magico, Wilson and Rockport bring new improved sound with every model? I would say that there can be no doubt that they do. It is oversimplification to state that the voicecoil box system can't be reinvented. Quite a few recently introduced speakers With new cabinet material, new contruction techniques to shape the cabinets, new driver materials and new improved crossover parts are improving the sound from voicecoil box systems and especialy during the last couple of years.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Both Zanden and Boulder have recently brought brand new models to the market which are improved over their previous efforts.

I'm not sure Boulder is a good example here. Their 2060 power amp was in production for 20 years (introduced in 1993) !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing