Kharma - Still a popular brand after Valin got new reference speakers?

caesar

May 30, 2010
This speaker was HOT 5 or 6 years ago when it was Valin's reference. Since he moved on to Magicos (and to Estelons and then to Raidhos), Kharma has not had much publicity, at least in the USA.

Interestingly, I always thought that Kharma was a bit too warm, while the Magico was bit too cold for my tastes. So, it seems to me, Valin moved from one extreme to the other.

Has Kharma's sonic signature changed in the recent years? Is Kharma still a popular brand or just a passing fad?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Still big in Northern Asia as far as I can tell.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I haven't heard any since they changed drivers. I surely wouldn't mind doing so should I get the chance. The next show I'm scheduled to attend is IASJ in Tokyo. If they are there, I'll report in.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
When is the Tokyo show ?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
1st weekend of November

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Caesar,

There is an audiophile in Vietnam Cuong Pham who has had a pretty serious set of equipment in a dedicated room for many many years. His system has generally been stable for about 5-7 years: big Westlake horns, Thorens Ref TT (several), every killer piece of expensive Audio Note Kondo everything, Esoteric P-OVU (the one only available in Japan), Odin, Transp Ref MM, MIT MAX-2HD, you name it.

Suddenly, he went thru a series of trials for new speakers...and new electronics. He ended up going thru search: Avantgarde Trio Classicos, then Avalon Isis/Boulder 2050, then...ended up with the huge Kharma Exquisite Grands, Gryphon Mephisto Monos and Gryphon Pandora. Check it out on Audiogon.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Caesar, you inquiring about them...or considering them? ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
This speaker was HOT 5 or 6 years ago when it was Valin's reference. Since he moved on to Magicos (and to Estelons and then to Raidhos), Kharma has not had much publicity, at least in the USA.

Interestingly, I always thought that Kharma was a bit too warm, while the Magico was bit too cold for my tastes. So, it seems to me, Valin moved from one extreme to the other.

Has Kharma's sonic signature changed in the recent years? Is Kharma still a popular brand or just a passing fad?

Would have liked to hear the Kharmas you did. Never sounded warm to me and if fact sounded just the opposite.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i owned the Kharma Exquisite Reference 1D's from 2001-2005. they did not suffer 'ordinary' amplification 'gladly'. i used the 75 watt Tenor OTL's and then later the Tenor 300 watt hybrid mono-blocks. a popular pairing was also with the Lamm ML2's and other Lamm's. so depending on the amplification used they could be described as a bit dark (Lamm), highly resolving and natural (Tenor), warm (other OTL's or tubes), or a bit edgy (insert almost any solid state).

they did not go very deep in the bass, and were not a tough load but not an easy one either. what they did was to be very coherent, lively and refined sounding......one piece, like music....with a very good 1st order crossover. very natural sounding.

the sound of the Exquisites with the Tenor OTL's is still the basic reference i have for the character of the sound i like.

what happened was that they got overpriced for North America compared to the competition. for instance, the Exquisites were $75k when i bought them in 2001; now they are north of $125k. other speakers were more affordable here in the US.

Kharma is a great speaker line.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
i owned the Kharma Exquisite Reference 1D's from 2001-2005. they did not suffer 'ordinary' amplification 'gladly'. i used the 75 watt Tenor OTL's and then later the Tenor 300 watt hybrid mono-blocks. a popular pairing was also with the Lamm ML2's and other Lamm's. so depending on the amplification used they could be described as a bit dark (Lamm), highly resolving and natural (Tenor), warm (other OTL's or tubes), or a bit edgy (insert almost any solid state).

they did not go very deep in the bass, and were not a tough load but not an easy one either. what they did was to be very coherent, lively and refined sounding......one piece, like music....with a very good 1st order crossover. very natural sounding.

the sound of the Exquisites with the Tenor OTL's is still the basic reference i have for the character of the sound i like.

what happened was that they got overpriced for North America compared to the competition. for instance, the Exquisites were $75k when i bought them in 2001; now they are north of $125k. other speakers were more affordable here in the US.

Kharma is a great speaker line.

No offense to Tenor because the amps do some things wonderfully, but they seem like a tone control to me. They have always sounded a little rolled off in the upper octaves and always complemented speakers such as the Hansen and YB that sounded bright.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
1002138_615823981791894_1282534804_n.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
No offense to Tenor because the amps do some things wonderfully, but they seem like a tone control to me. They have always sounded a little rolled off in the upper octaves and always complemented speakers such as the Hansen and YB that sounded bright.

that's a crazy thing for a CJ fan to say.;)

and I was much more a fan of the sound of the Tenor OTL's than the Hybrid. but the OTL's tended to detonate regularly.

my point was that after my previous 'Wilson-Levinson' period, the Kharma-Tenor brought me into a view of the music which started me down a particular pathway that I have been progressing forward on since.

i had those CJ LP140M's for a few months, and those sounded somewhat rolled off compared to my darts. and the Tenor's would sound rolled off similarly too.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
that's a crazy thing for a CJ fan to say.;)

and I was much more a fan of the sound of the Tenor OTL's than the Hybrid. but the OTL's tended to detonate regularly.

my point was that after my previous 'Wilson-Levinson' period, the Kharma-Tenor brought me into a view of the music which started me down a particular pathway that I have been progressing forward on since.

i had those CJ LP140M's for a few months, and those sounded somewhat rolled off compared to my darts. and the Tenor's would sound rolled off similarly too.

Mike I'm a reviewer, not a fan :) I do try and stay objective eg. my comments about the Tenor (you know back in the early days spent many hours listening to the Tenors in Lars' system). Like you, I have the opportunity to hear many products in my system (as well as other reviewer's systems). Certainly I could buy many other products but that's what I use for my reference because the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. FYI, I'm no longer using a cj phono stage :)

Of course, even compared to the LP275M (for obvious transformer reasons), the 140 were a little rolled off. That's where cj's changes to the driver stage eg. a different tube that allowed them to lower the impedance and increase the ART's bandwidth.

Of course, the sound of the LP140Ms depended upon everything around them. For instance, the TA MM1 was not a good match for the amplifiers :( MM2 is a different story.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Just found this system Mike :)

933946_617549538286005_1110891628_n.jpg

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
ceasar,great brand ,ive heard them do things ,ive not heard from any other speaker , if i had to lay money on the table they would be among the top of the list.
magazines...they got to live just like everybody else :D

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Of course, even compared to the LP275M (for obvious transformer reasons), the 140 were a little rolled off. That's where cj's changes to the driver stage eg. a different tube that allowed them to lower the impedance and increase the ART's bandwidth.

Of course, the sound of the LP140Ms depended upon everything around them. For instance, the TA MM1 was not a good match for the amplifiers :( MM2 is a different story.

Mike,
I am hosting the LP275M's - can you clarify the comment about the transformers? BTW, I have now found that these particular 275's already have all cj Teflon coupling and decoupling capacitors, although the data on the cj site does not refer to it. .

Can I ask what is your opinion about the MM2 with cj's?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar, you inquiring about them...or considering them? ;)

Not really, but you never know. It just popped into my head. Like you, I'm interested in talking about audio experiences. I think only 3 US dealers carry them. If Valin still had them, I'm sure it would be a lot more. Overture is one of them, and they are one of the most respected dealers in the US. I wonder if they position Kharma as the opposite of Magico.

caesar

May 30, 2010
ceasar,great brand ,ive heard them do things ,ive not heard from any other speaker , if i had to lay money on the table they would be among the top of the list.
magazines...they got to live just like everybody else :D

Thanks. Do you know if the sound has changed recently?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
no not really,but its a bit hard to tell from a couple hours listening,still very clean /spacious ,playing from rock solid housing
the new mid is slightly larger then he thiel was 7 inch versus 6,5 iirc ,i like the classic model in not to large rooms

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing