New Cartridge Accessory from Lloyd Walker

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
If you attach the gizmo directly to the cartridge, I can see some cartridge companies wincing. You are adding mass to a cartridge that was never intended to be there by the manufacturer. I think my question is valid.

I'm not disagreeing but mass is mass. We change headshells, cartridge mounting screws, and tonearms all the time. This is the same effect and no issues with manufactures. If only you could see the experiments I run at times... :)

Attaching this thing, which would probably be to the front center of the headshell, should be no different than the variable mass possibilities listed above. The only issue I would see is if the device was directly attached to the cartridge and there was a dab of glue remaining on the cartridge after removal for some reason. Which for most of us, would be pretty easy to remove.

Many have used Marigo tuning dots and never had issues with manufactures that I'm aware of. Then again, there are precautions one could take by using a removable adhesive if they really want the device on the cartridge instead of the front of the headshell.

Dre

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
No, I'm not worried about my warranty because I have no plans to buy this device in the here and now nor do I have any plans to procure a new cartridge now. I was simply thinking out loud and wondering what cartridge companies would think of this device. And I'm not saying I believe or don't believe in this device as I haven't heard it. Dre, I will make the trek to your place at some point in time.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
A question that I would have is why the crystal...vs. any other type of object that has similar weight. ( Besides the fact that the crystal looks pretty,LOL:)...and in this case clearly has some marketing value). IMHO, this tweek still has a modicum of snake-oil to it; unless there is some scientific reason as to what the crystal does besides adding weight and changing the frequency of the head shell ( which any object with similar weight positioned as directed would do). I notice that Lloyd avoids any type of white paper on this accessory.:D

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
No, I'm not worried about my warranty because I have no plans to buy this device in the here and now nor do I have any plans to procure a new cartridge now. I was simply thinking out loud and wondering what cartridge companies would think of this device. And I'm not saying I believe or don't believe in this device as I haven't heard it. Dre, I will make the trek to your place at some point in time.

Mark,

I was pretty sure you were thinking out loud. I was just responding out loud with a counterpoint to mitigate those concerns as well.

I have no idea if the device will be workable for everyone that tries it because systems and preferences are so different. I do know it is clearly audible though.

The invitation holds. You should probably do it sooner rather than later. I may not have some of the toys here much longer. Who knows? You may not like what you hear when/if you visit. I'm sure it will be different since most systems are. I'm also sure some of it will surprise you in some ways. I look forward to your visit when you can make it.

Dre

Last edited:

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
A question that I would have is why the crystal...vs. any other type of object that has similar weight. ( Besides the fact that the crystal looks pretty,LOL:)...and in this case clearly has some marketing value). IMHO, this tweek still has a modicum of snake-oil to it; unless there is some scientific reason as to what the crystal does besides adding weight and changing the frequency of the head shell ( which any object with similar weight positioned as directed would do). I notice that Lloyd avoids any type of white paper on this accessory.:D

Adding similar mass does not have the same effect. I've tried that long ago...

What "modicum of snake-oil" do you see? I'm curious to know. Additionally, is whatever you come up with any different than say a cable (interconnect, tonearm, power) or another non-white paper'd tweak you have personally observed that made a difference?

I ask seriously. I'm really curious.

Dre

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
fyi, loose black diamond stones are available from many sources under a carat for ~50 bucks. id rather risk 50 than 325.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Adding similar mass does not have the same effect. I've tried that long ago...

What "modicum of snake-oil" do you see? I'm curious to know. Additionally, is whatever you come up with any different than say a cable (interconnect, tonearm, power) or another non-white paper'd tweak you have personally observed that made a difference?

I ask seriously. I'm really curious.

Dre

Since your serious, the answer is fairly obvious. The use of a crystal vs. any other less appealing looking object. Why a crystal and what does it bring to the playing field?? Other than the appeal to "bling" which is nothing more than a marketing tool.
I'm not saying that the mod does not work, I haven't heard it, what I am saying is that the use of the crystal vs. another weight or dampener seems to me to be nothing more than 'snake oil". Also, look at puroagave's ( Rob's) post above.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Since your serious, the answer is fairly obvious. The use of a crystal vs. any other less appealing looking object. Why a crystal and what does it bring to the playing field?? Other than the appeal to "bling" which is nothing more than a marketing tool.
I'm not saying that the mod does not work, I haven't heard it, what I am saying is that the use of the crystal vs. another weight or dampener seems to me to be nothing more than 'snake oil". Also, look at puroagave's ( Rob's) post above.
I see your thought pattern on this but how is the visual appeal (if that's what you see) of this item different from any other component? I'm sure all your electronics, cables, and speakers could be in plain non-blinged boxes or unwrapped, but my guess is that the sale of such items would not be the same as they are in the packages currently available. Does that make every component or tweak that works and has "bling" or visual appeal in someone's eye "snake oil"?

I put the follow-on question in my post for this very reason to avoid the idea of making the product or device look appealing being a sole classification for "snake oil":
Dre said:
Additionally, is whatever you come up with any different than say a cable (interconnect, tonearm, power) or another non-white paper'd tweak you have personally observed that made a difference?

If so, I guess all our components and tweaks that work for us and look good would have to be "snake oil"?

I may be missing something here, but my reasoning and logic tell me that this is boiling down to the claim from you that the device is "snake oil" based on possibly being manufactured to look good?

Personally I would not care if it looked like a rough nugget if it worked for me.

I can't comment to Rob's post since I have no clue (or idea) if what he mentions is anything close to what the manufacturer produces. Maybe he knows something I don't. Who knows?

All of my comments are with sincere thoughts to distill and understand your point of view. No hostility intended.

Dre

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I see your thought pattern on this but how is the visual appeal (if that's what you see) of this item different from any other component? I'm sure all your electronics, cables, and speakers could be in plain non-blinged boxes or unwrapped, but my guess is that the sale of such items would not be the same as they are in the packages currently available. Does that make every component or tweak that works and has "bling" or visual appeal in someone's eye "snake oil"?

I put the follow-on question in my post for this very reason to avoid the idea of making the product or device look appealing being a sole classification for "snake oil":

If so, I guess all our components and tweaks that work for us and look good would have to be "snake oil"?

I may be missing something here, but my reasoning and logic tell me that this is boiling down to the claim from you that the device is "snake oil" based on possibly being manufactured to look good?

Personally I would not care if it looked like a rough nugget if it worked for me.

I can't comment to Rob's post since I have no clue (or idea) if what he mentions is anything close to what the manufacturer produces. Maybe he knows something I don't. Who knows?

All of my comments are with sincere thoughts to distill and understand your point of view. No hostility intended.

Dre

Dre, firstly I want to say that i saw no hostility in your posts:). You made a good point in that components that work for us that are tweeks could be considered as "snake oil". Although all of the ones that I
know of, have a valid and logical reason as to their effectiveness.
However, I think my point is that we have seen numerous "snake oil" products in our hobby....just take a look at some of the gadgets from Machina Dynamica that are on A'gon on a daily basis.
The little crystal that attaches to the end of your tonearm seems to have no more or less viability than the Machina Dynamica tweeks. If you can explain to me how the little crystal can have the effect
on your sound that it apparently does, then I would state it is NOT "snake oil". OTOH, just by saying it does ( and I'm not disputing you here, so that we are clear) leads me to question how does this
crystal bring about the effect that you are hearing...besides the obvious... ( adding a little extra weight and possibly damping the end of the head shell..which numerous other objects could accomplish).
Perhaps I should ask you what you consider to be "snake oil"??
BTW, I'm NOT trying to be hostile with you either, simply trying to point out where my thoughts are coming from:).

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
There is a quick way to tell if a product is really snake oil. All products that are sold as snake oil have to carry the snake oil label. The problem is there is no regulations that dictate what the size of the label has to be so sometimes shrewd companies make the label really, really small so you can't hardly see it.

snake oil.jpg

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
There is a quick way to tell if a product is really snake oil. All products that are sold as snake oil have to carry the snake oil label. The problem is there is no regulations that dictate what the size of the label has to be so sometimes shrewd companies make the label really, really small so you can't hardly see it.

View attachment 11192

:D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Has Lloyd fixed the 1lb typo yet?

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Dre, firstly I want to say that i saw no hostility in your posts:). You made a good point in that components that work for us that are tweeks could be considered as "snake oil".
Thanks. My only point was that what I understood your definition of snake oil to be is primarily based on the visual appeal of the device alone. Again this flows from your original series of posts. Hopefully I didn't misunderstand your original series of posts.

Although all of the ones that I know of, have a valid and logical reason as to their effectiveness.
However, I think my point is that we have seen numerous "snake oil" products in our hobby....just take a look at some of the gadgets from Machina Dynamica that are on A'gon on a daily basis.
I think it is unfair to place this particular device in that category. The effect is readily audible. I never said it would work in every system. What component does? What I felt the need to point out is that the device does have an audible effect. Therefore the immediate labeling seems uncalled for in this case. I think when more people have had some time with the device, they may echo my findings of audible change. Whether or not it's what the individual is looking for is another thing all together.

The little crystal that attaches to the end of your tonearm seems to have no more or less viability than the Machina Dynamica tweeks. If you can explain to me how the little crystal can have the effect on your sound that it apparently does, then I would state it is NOT "snake oil". OTOH, just by saying it does ( and I'm not disputing you here, so that we are clear) leads me to question how does this crystal bring about the effect that you are hearing...besides the obvious... ( adding a little extra weight and possibly damping the end of the head shell..which numerous other objects could accomplish).
My perception is that you are primarily attracted to, or more concerned with, the shape of the device's appearance rather than what function it performs. I mentioned earlier that I couldn't care less about it's visual appeal but there are many among us that would. Additionally I mentioned the strong desire we all have for visual appeal for most of our equipment. To some degree, we could save the manufactures a lot of money and development time by purchasing undressed cables and plain boxes for our equipment but that's not going to happen.

Davey, I could probably speculate what's going on based on my professional background but I'm not really interested in going there. After all, it's not my product so I don't see why I would extend any more effort beyond what I've done over a 4-week period to verify my initial observations. The device's effect is clearly audible to me and it's up to each potential owner to decide if it's something they want to use or not. That's what choice is about.

I will only state that I can (and have) easily substituted other things with similar mass/shape and they don't do what the device does. In all of those cases, the substitutions do what I would consider to be nothing. That's why I can say with some reasonable deduction that the one thing that, to me, seems to concern you most (it's appearance) may not be the proper reason to subscribe for its efficacy and therefore pin the premature snake oil label on it. I think if at some point you get to observe the device in operation and then removed (with proper adjustments to VTF of course) you may have a different option about it. You may or may not like what you hear but it should be clearly audible nonetheless. IMO, of course

Perhaps I should ask you what you consider to be "snake oil"??
Hmm, Webster's or Wiki seems good enough for me.

BTW, I'm NOT trying to be hostile with you either, simply trying to point out where my thoughts are coming from:).
Understood. They were pretty clear to me in the initial posts and continue to be now. Although, the subject has shifted a bit from it's snake oil because of it's visual form to "why this visual form" to I must now prove logically and/or explain how this thing works. (This is my interpretation of your initial communication flow)

Hope this helps,
Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
This seems similar to the Duran sapphire cart plate Mike L uses on the Telos
I would guess not. The two designer/manufactures are approaching two "very" different issues as I see them.

Think about this for a moment: One of them is very specific (integral cartridge mounting plate) to a single tonearm design. The other is a more universal accessory but for a completely different reason, IMO

I think both designers would agree with me on this.

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing