Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Flamenco

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Yesterday, I was talking to a fellow a'phile about music. We both stated the usual comments...."I like all music, EXCEPT RAP!"
Since RAP is a BIG part of the music business and general culture in the western musical taste of vast numbers of the population, I wonder what it is about RAP that turns most (all?) a'philes off!
Is it the culture of the music or something else?
Personally, the closest I can come to RAP is the group Linkin' Park. ( This is actually a group that I like a LOT).
Still, the vast majority of the genre leaves me cold.

So, I thought a poll to show which is the favorite type of music of the members might be of interest...OK, we know what Jazdoc's vote is...:rolleyes:
Any forum members like RAP? Do tell us more...and vote .

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't dislike all RAP. I just dislike the Rap that gives off homicidal vibes same way I don't like Metal that does the same. I'm getting to that age where angst and anger are wastes of what time's left.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I try not to be supportive of anything that I consider to be socially destructive.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I just consider melody a necessary component of this thing we call music. Why do most audiophiles dislike rap? Because most of them are too old.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I try not to be supportive of anything that I consider to be socially destructive.

That was said of all types of popular modern music at one time or another! :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Every generations' music goes hand in hand with the drugs that they were on when they wrote the music. I often wonder what drugs rap artists are on when they write their music.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just consider melody a necessary component of this thing we call music. Why do most audiophiles dislike rap? Because most of them are too old.

Tim

What I consider homicide inducing is that godawful droning bass you find in some Rap, Rock and Dubstep. Especially when it's from one of those cars with a million subs driving buy. It always makes me wish I had an RPG!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Every generations' music goes hand in hand with the drugs that they were on when they wrote the music. I often wonder what drugs rap artists are on when they write their music.

Medical Grade Pot

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Tim
Tim, melody appreciation could be considered age dependent. OTOH, I'm not sure I agree with your age statement about a'philes. Many young people like classical and rock. BTW, I suspect that most of the systems that we own wouldn't do justice to most RAP. ( Not saying that's good or bad, just saying).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Like Rock there are many sub-genres. The ones I like have a mix with R&B (so there are still melodic elements- nice and lounge-y) and some others are rap accents on Pop or Rock acts. In a club some rap is really fun especially since the dancing that goes with it as far as the ladies go is fun to see. :D I love watching street dancing too and the rap used there is upbeat and energetic leading to the great acrobatic displays.

Boy, but when I hear the heavy gangsta stuff laced with threats it just turns me right off. I just can't relate.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Possibly:)

OTOH, I wouldn't be one to really enjoy the demo...or maybe I would:confused:
Eh, you may be surprised. I like all music [voted blues] but there are two genres of music I do not like. One of them is rap and the other is opera. I only have 1 rap album by Eminem I will pull out every other year or so and I have absolutely no opera. Probably never will.

Tom

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
During my college years, rap was a big part of my musical experience. This was before Gangster Rap became the mainstream standard for the genre. There are some rap artists who have always maintained musical sensibilities that most jazz, rock and even some classical fans might appreciate. Here is an example of such:

Guru Jazzatazz.jpg

http://www.allmusic.com/album/jazzmatazz-vol-1-mw0000098545

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I don't care for Rap or Country music but I don't hold it against anyone that does like them. Music is personal. Whatever floats your boat.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Rap is really alot of different styles though, from old skool, through gangsta, to urban poetry, to remixes of funk with new vocal overlays, including some so-called neo-soul. (I agree that the nasty, angry stuff doesn't do much for me, but I did not come from that life, so I don't relate). And I lived (and worked in the business) through a lot of it. Most of the guys that I met were actually pretty OK. They'd probably tell you the thugs were the guys wearing the suits, but we ain't goin there.
I don't like the glorification of the 'gangsta' lifestyle, but that's also a whole other issue, which leads to a discussion we probably shouldn't (and can't) have here. An eye opener for me is David Simon's book, The Corner, which explains why traditional values and the mentality of the 'street' are two entirely different planets. (Highly recommended, he wrote and produced The Wire after being a journalist in Baltimore).

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I don't care for Rap or Country music but I don't hold it against anyone that does like them. Music is personal. Whatever floats your boat.

What about country rap? Yo, Y'all. :)
Actually, country is pretty diverse too. Old country, blue grass, country blues, western music, Western swing, are all pretty cool in my book, but it took me a while to get my head around it. "New" country is essentially 70's pop: some good, some banal.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
What about country rap? Yo, Y'all. :)
Actually, country is pretty diverse too. Old country, blue grass, country blues, western music, Western swing, are all pretty cool in my book, but it took me a while to get my head around it. "New" country is essentially 70's pop: some good, some banal.

I like some blue grass like Nickel Creek and The Punch Brothers. Mostly I don't like the country twang of the vocals and the lyrics can be pretty sappy at times. There are some exceptions but for the most part I can live without Country. Country Rap? Now your scarring me.;)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Seems like some Rap is going through some changes right now...I'm thinking of artists like Jason Derulo; I think he's a rap artist:confused:, BUT he also seems to blending other genres as well. This is what i like about Linkin' Park, they have a rap influence BUT seem to keep the rapping to a minimum. Blending rap with rock and some grunge....interesting, and to me somewhat appealing.

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I hate rap in general, but I recognize genius when I see it. Eminem is a genius and I own all his albums....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing