12BH7/12BH7A Recommendations Please

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looking for strong, neutral sounding tubes for driver use. I don't need any added lushness. I'm actually looking for a bit more linearity and clarity. Both new production and NOS/NIB would be much appreciated. Currently using JJ ecc99s which are aging quickly.

TIA!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Looking for strong, neutral sounding tubes for driver use. I don't need any added lushness. I'm actually looking for a bit more linearity and clarity. Both new production and NOS/NIB would be much appreciated. Currently using JJ ecc99s which are aging quickly.

TIA!

You mean after 100 hrs?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
About 2000. What does Nick use? I'll probably use some spares from my ML1.1 but I haven't looked at them yet so don't know what they are.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
About 2000. What does Nick use? I'll probably use some spares from my ML1.1 but I haven't looked at them yet so don't know what they are.

Not sure. Perhaps MadFloyd can answer as I think his unit uses 12BH7s.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It's hard to go wrong with any NOS American 12BH7. RCAs are just dandy.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So am I. I usually roll only input tubes. In the case of the LL2 I couldn't honestly say I heard much difference (if any) swapping the driver tubes (6922/6dj8) while there were very obvious differences rolling the 12au7s. True to my mantra, I saved my money there and stayed stock. In this other preamp I'm using 802s with the stock JJ but as I said these are going south. What I'm pretty sure I'll get is a slight reduction in gain since BHs aren't exact drop in replacements for 99s. The designer says it will work though so I will experiment.

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX

TIA!

Hi Jack,

I just received my VTL Siegfried Series 2 amps from VTL and they use 12BH7 tubes as driver tubes (2 per mono block). VTL uses the Electro Harmonix 12BH7 tubes and for an input tube they use the JJ12AT7 tube. The JJ 12AT7 tube is awful sounding as I have been experimenting with several different NOS tubes that are far away better sounding. But, perhaps the EH 12BH7 might be worth a try for you.

Arnie

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Arnie,

Thanks! I'll give them a shot. As it turns out, my brother who has VTL Sig IIs has a stash of 12BH7s. I should have known he would except I didn't know the tube complement until today :D

Anyways, he sent me a pair of RCAs to start.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hi Arnie,

Thanks! I'll give them a shot. As it turns out, my brother who has VTL Sig IIs has a stash of 12BH7s. I should have known he would except I didn't know the tube complement until today :D

You can't go wrong with those Jack.

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi Arnie,

Hi Jack,

You're welcome.

If you get a chance, can you ask your brother what 12BH7 tubes he uses in the Siegfried Series 2 - Thanks

Arnie

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Jack,

I just received my VTL Siegfried Series 2 amps from VTL and they use 12BH7 tubes as driver tubes (2 per mono block). VTL uses the Electro Harmonix 12BH7 tubes and for an input tube they use the JJ12AT7 tube. The JJ 12AT7 tube is awful sounding as I have been experimenting with several different NOS tubes that are far away better sounding. But, perhaps the EH 12BH7 might be worth a try for you.

Arnie

What JJ tube sounds good? Any resemblance between the JJ/Tesla 12AX7 and a real Tesla 12AX7 is purely coincidental. Plus the Q/C is awful.

I gave my friend a pair of $35 Mullard CV4024 tubes for his VTL 400s and they sounded very good in his system.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Jack,

Arnie

Arnie

IMO the only 12AT7 to find is Telefunken NOS ECC 801S

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
What JJ tube sounds good? Any resemblance between the JJ/Tesla 12AX7 and a real Tesla 12AX7 is purely coincidental. Plus the Q/C is awful.

I gave my friend a pair of $35 Mullard CV4024 tubes for his VTL 400s and they sounded very good in his system.

Hi Myles.

I agree that the few JJ tubes that I have heard sound terrible. I have been listening to a Valvo 6201 Gold Pin replacing the JJ 12At7. This is a major step up in sonics.

Arnie

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input. I will take a look at those as well.

Arnie

Tele ECC81 tubes are also very nice and the price isn't as snooty as the ECC801S.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jack,

You're welcome.

If you get a chance, can you ask your brother what 12BH7 tubes he uses in the Siegfried Series 2 - Thanks

Arnie

Hi Arnie,

He uses RCA.

DavidDownham

Feb 13, 2014
Whilst this thread was started by 'arnies' to evaluate 12BH7 tubes, may I take this slightly more off thread? (in view of the fact that nothing has been added since 2013 I can't believe this should prove a problem?)
Recent posts have discussed the possible upgrade of tubes for VTL Amps-not just in respect of the 12BH7 tube.
Now, interestingly I bought a VTL Amp just over a year ago. At the time I contacted VTL ( and the UK Distributor -Kog Audio) with regard to possible tube upgrades.Both were dismissive of the idea !!
I didn't take it any further at the time but I'm now having to consider replacement tubes. ( which is how I can to this thread)
So,you lads who have VTL amps, what's the recommendation ??
That is, for the 12BH7,12AT7 and the KT88?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Any 12BH7 will be good, better than the JJ ecc99

See Steve's post above on at7s

On KT88 I'd go with Winged-C or Gold Lion reissues

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing