Giant Killers

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
[Post taken from another thread and made into a new one here]

Besides the JOB 225, what are some other amps that might be considered to be "giant killers" for us hard core audiophiles? The new Emotiva amps? Maybe Van Alstine? Something else?

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpr1
http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=106&Itemid=231

My reason for asking is simple: I need nine channels with over 100w/ch for my three actively crossed (via Trinnov) three-way front speakers.

Last edited:

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Magnus Audio MA 300.

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
David_Goliath1.jpg

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Ya, LOL my mono blocks combined are almost 300lbs

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
[Post taken from another thread and made into a new one here]
My reason for asking is simple: I need nine channels with over 100w/ch for my three actively crossed (via Trinnov) three-way front speakers.

Just buy 3 Pass X-3's !!

untangle

Mar 11, 2011
Santa Clara, CA
baasnotes.com
Exposure Audio (e.g., 3010s2)

Transcendent Sound (e.g., Son of Beast OTL)

Many EL84 amps (e.g., Decware Zen)

DIY (e.g., hypex nCore)

These all cost ~$1K USD and can deliver excellent results with compatible speakers.

Bob

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The best answer to that question lies in finding the right match for the individual drivers in your system, but a simple one might be to do what Siegfried Linkwitz does with his TOTL Orions - he uses multi-channel SS amps from Amplifier Technologies Inc. The one set of Orions I've heard used a 12 channel, 60 watts per channel ATi amp. They seemed to have endless headroom. That amp was in the $2500 range. There are many here who will not believe it can be good enough at that price. Dr. Linkwitz, and my listening experience disagree.

Tim

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Exposure Audio (e.g., 3010s2)

Transcendent Sound (e.g., Son of Beast OTL)

Many EL84 amps (e.g., Decware Zen)

DIY (e.g., hypex nCore)

These all cost ~$1K USD and can deliver excellent results with compatible speakers.

Bob

Thanks Bob >> I saw the thread dying an early death with mentions of amps costing upward of $5K ..

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
AB Systems has a pretty fanatical following over in the UK. The units appear to be based on the old Cinepro Gold design (which were very nice sounding amps back in the day), with more modern components and upgrade paths. (Per the UK forum actual prices are around half of what's listed on the website.)

http://www.abamps.net/

The Musica Bella line also appears promising:

http://www.responseaudiony.com/Ibrido.htm

I need well north of 100w/ch into 4 ohms for the woofers, and well north of 50w/ch for the 8 ohm nominal midranges and tweeters

I'm also looking into DIY nCore

ps to Frantz -- The Transcendent Beast OTL looks pretty imprssive, but I need more power and can't imagine the heat build up with nine channels of that in my equipment room!
http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Transcendent_Sound_BEAST_OTL_Tube_Amp.html

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
i think the Valvet A3.5 monos are a great bargain- $6000 for monoblocks.

on the tube side, Quad Classics, properly retubed, can sound amazing- $2500 or so.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I second the A3.5r MkIIs. My Living Voice and Avantgarde owning clients just love them to death. I love them with Unifield 1s, 3s and VR-44 Aktives.

They were designed with High Efficiency speakers primarily as Valvet used to make their own line of compact Horns.

untangle

Mar 11, 2011
Santa Clara, CA
baasnotes.com
Thanks Bob >> I saw the thread dying an early death with mentions of amps costing upward of $5K ..

Sure thing. I forgot to mention...my suggestions are based on first-hand experience. In most cases, with several speaker flavors. But clearly, many of these will not properly drive difficult loads and/or large rooms.

Bob

Last edited:

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Croft Hybrids from the UK silly sound for the £/$ & hand-built

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing