Color on Rockport Arrakis

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I want suggestions for color on a pair of Rockport Arrakis. I want something more vibrant than the standard black and from what I understand both the carbon baffle and the cabinet itself can be lacqured. The speaker is large with a visually striking shape. It is not so easy to find a good color. They will be placed in a room with red and brown colors. Dark walnut floors, bronze tiles, cream/light brown/beige wallpaper, burgundy red curtains and rugs, white ceiling and white marble, clear glass and brass details.

My thoughts have been running in different directions. At the moment I am thinking about the Wilson Macadamia lacquer and a color on the fabric baffle inlay which match the wallpaper.

Another thought was black on the baffle, fabric baffle inlay and midsection cabinet and copper chrome on the top and buttom cabinet (except baffle). This might be too much though.

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
White is the new black.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Black, or perhaps bronze? One provides contrast...the other a statement to blend a bit more into your surroundings though it will unquestionably still stand out.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I love the color of jfrech's Altairs. Bronze for me. Come to think of it, my speakers are Bronze too. :D

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I like jfrech's bronze, too. Steve's Wilson Alexandria deep purple/ eggplant? shade is very striking in real life, but doesn't come out in photos too well, don't know if it would match your color scheme.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I like jfrech's bronze, too. Steve's Wilson Alexandria deep purple/ eggplant? shade is very striking in real life, but doesn't come out in photos too well, don't know if it would match your color scheme.

I have the same color...It's a Mercedes Benz color...almandine black metallic.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Mine is called Black Almondine and AFAIK isn't made by Wilson anymore

Different color looking at it from different angles

_MG_4399.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi on my ipad now, but hav some pics posted on my page here...it's a porsche topaz brown metallic....

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
My Magico Q7s are anodized bronze. I want a more high gloss color on the Arrakis. I have Critical Mass MAXXUM racks coming in Wilson Macadamia. I really like that color. The Porsche Topaz Brown could also be an option, but it's a little difficult to get a good impression of the color on pictures. I also think a darker brown tone like the Wilson Macadamia might suit the bigger frame of the Arrakis better. I would however like a lighter additional color to break up the dark impression. I have seen Wilson speakers in Macadamia lacquer with a light brown fabric cover on the baffle. I am thinking about something similar on the Arrakis not because it has to match the wallpaper but because it would both match and lighten up the Wilson Macadamia on such a big cabinet.

This Stereophile review has some great shots of the Wilson XLF in Macademia. As can be seen black fabric inlay on the Arrakis baffle would also look good in combination with the Macadamia.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-alexandria-xlf-loudspeaker

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Bugatti Finch made the car look like a million dollar M&M. :D

Check out Range Rover's Ipanema Sand and Nara Bronze. I think both would look really good in a room with a lot of warm hardwoods.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Another option is the BMW frozen bronze metallic.

http://m.flickr.com/photos/21319002@N08/7613446628/lightbox/

That is not gloss though, I think.

I've seen that bmw frozen bronze metallics...I think it has a clear coat on top of a flat base...so not glossy in the ways we usually think of it...

Here are two larger pics of my speakers...the light and surround colors (walls/carpet) really change how these are perceived...

My Room and Rockports.jpg my rockports.jpg hi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing