Esoteric P01VU/D-01VU vs P-02/D-02

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Anyone compared these combination with or without an external master clock?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Roysen,

I have done business with a guy for over 20 years who has always been forthright with me...even telling me when other products he does not sell are better than competing products he does sell. He is an Esoteric dealer, and I think (providing he has compared these two) he might be worth speaking to. He is a seasoned audio veteran and again is very straightforward. Very easy to speak to. Happy to put you in touch if you like.

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Would be interesting to know his opinion.

Roysen, I do not have experience with the 01s. HOwever I do own the 02s for a time now. Not sure if your question is how the 01 compare to the 02s (in which I can not help you), or how the 02s with no clock compare to the 02s with clock.

If the later I can give you my experience and what I did. I had the 02s initially with no clock for a few months. Likd them very much. At some point decided to try the clock. Before the 02s I had the 03s. WIth the 03s I had tried the clock home. But could not justify the price vs the improvement, which was to me very hard to pick up...

So was not expecting much with the 02s. I borrowed the same clock that before (the older model). I was very surprised to note a big difference. It is true that the system i had was very changed for the better, in between comparations, but still it got me by surprised. Improvements all over, but I guess most important ones had to do with imaging and 3D, which was greatly improved. Also bass more extended and articulated and highs more refined while equally extended. But improvements all over really. It was a big improvement, so I decided to order the new model (G0) without hearing it. I have to say that the new model sounded better than the old, but the difference was nowhere near as the one I heard when going from no clock to the old model clock.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I have not compared the 01VU or new 1 series with the 02 due to lack of any place nearby to obtain a 01VU or new 1 series.

I do own the 02 Transport, DAC and Pre-amp and can say they are a huge upgrade over the prior generation 03 units even without
the separate master clock (using the improved OCXO clock in the 02 DAC). About 2 months ago though I did add an external 10Mhz
dual-master clock (Rb & OCXO outputs for 10Mhz) to my setup from Cybershaft.jp. This vendor makes high-quality, reasonable cost
RB and OCXO (and dual) both with GPS-sync and without, 10Mhz master clocks for the Asian home and pro audio and video markets.
The difference in refinement and musicality that this reasonably priced (compared to SRS, Antelope and Esoteric) clock made to my
overall system is not subtle and it did alot of great things for my soundstage and overall musicality of my system...write me for
more details.....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
interesting! good to know. thanks and enjoy.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Thank you....would love to see pictures of your system!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing