What your tonearm should look like tracking a record

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
After watching Uncle George sitting in his chair with his dog in his lap and his eyes rolled up in his head listening to a warped record played back on that silly looking piece of jewelery that happens to be a turntable, I thought I would shoot a video of a decent LP being tracked properly. Now this is shot from a Sony Cybershot 7.2 MP camera so the audio sucks (it's digital afterall). And yes, my table is dusty but the wife can't see it anyway. The battery died shortly after I started and my hands are shakey, the table isn't. I can't find my tripod which would have been cool to use. The music is Coltrane Live at the Village Van Guard

Here is the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_K-VhQ37Ds

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hell with the dumb turntable. Gimme that tape deck in the background!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sweet!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The other deck plays the old 4 track tapes which the Otari MX-55 doesn't.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sweet indeed, but tell me about the panels behind the gear. Are they DIY?

John

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-I bought those panels. They are 2' x 4' x 4" thick and they cost $50.00 each. They have plywood backing on them. I think they work great and have made a huge difference in my room.

Mark

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Nice example of aliasing looking at the graphics on the reels (maxell brand I suppose?)

My Maxell tapes have held up the best through the years, and were always cleaner running than 3m and other brands.

Tom
I love the Maxell tapes. They do run super clean. When I clean my heads and tape path, hardly anything is there to clean. I love it.

Grainger49

May 11, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Just a personal opinion here, but, the true test of a great arm, and you have one, is how it tracks an eccentric LP. My arm moves in and out with every revolution, I'm sure yours does too. That is the challenge

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing