Krell speakers

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes, but they're what I'd expect from a review. Just wondered if anyone "more personal" heard them.

Lee

I kinda thought they were advertorials, not reviews.

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
I have not heard the newest speakers but MOST certainly will. I thought the previous lines were excellent. Compared to some of the other models from companies primarily know for speakers, I felt they excelled. True, many could not get past the fact that Krell is not known for amplifiers. I remember shooting out the Krell Resolution 1 against the Wilson Sophia, the original version. After the demo, I did not see how anyone could buy the Wilsons after hearing the Krells. I still think the higher end models in the Wilson line-up are superior to the Krell speaker lines. But to my surprise, Krell fared extremely well against the entry speaker.

JackX

Nov 22, 2010
Oslo, Norway
Hi there RBFC!

I might be kind of late to reply, but here goes anyway:

I've heard the speakers demoed in Munich in 2010 - http://www.highendsociety.de/english/highend/highend_aktiv.php

The speakers were placed in a defined area, with some room treatments.
When entering the room my first impression were they were quite small, not at all like the Resolution 1 or LAT 1 from Krell. Listening to the system I could clearly hear the "typical Krell sound", ie speed and attack just as I've learned to expect; tight bass, excellence midrange - and crystal clear highs. I suspect the speakers were more or less out of the box because they didn't have that open airness other reviewers speaks about.

I've owned Resolution 1 (and 3, 4, Center and LFE in a 7.1 HT system - have a look here http://avforum.no/forum/attachments...38592d1222948420-jackx-hjemmekinotrad-040.jpg) - and currently I'm playing a full CAST Krell 5.1 LAT EVO system (LAT 1's, LAT 2's, LAT C, LFE , EVO 505 - EVO 707 - EVO 600's & 403) http://avforum.no/minhjemmekino/show.php/Jackx_krell

Cheers!

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have owned LAT1000's and the friend who got them me from me still owns them with Krell electronics. They were by far the best box speaker I have owned - unhappily they were not compatible with the electronics I owned. I am a "tube man" and no tube amplifier could control their bass.

One of the best sounds I could get from them was with the Dartzeel amplifier, but the fuses of the Dart would often blow during peaks, as the impedance of the LAT 1000s was quite low at middle frequencies ( around 2.2 ohm at 1500 Hz) . Otherwise it was a perfect system.

The LAT1000 needed a large room, you have to sit at 3-4m from them, and very powerful bass. They have a very large and deep sound-stage and are almost as clear as an electrostatic. But they are not easy to amplify. See the excellent review of A. Cordeseman in TAS (using Pass amplification)

http://www.avguide.com/review/krell-lat-1000-loudspeaker

I quote the more provoking sentences of the review:
" Like Sonus Faber’s and Wilson’s, Krell’s speakers are voiced more to sound like music than to meet some laboratory standard."
and
"This speaker provides real musical pleasure and does so with virtually every decent recording, not just a few that suit its timbre. I believe it shows it’s time we went back to creating high-end systems based on core values: Reproducing the actual sound of music and not seeking maximum information at the cost of music’s soul"

Although some people prefer the Krell Modulare I never heard it sounding as good as the LAT1000.

hipp

May 19, 2011
Thornhill, Canada
KRELL Resolutions

Hi there RBFC!

I might be kind of late to reply, but here goes anyway:

I've heard the speakers demoed in Munich in 2010 - http://www.highendsociety.de/english/highend/highend_aktiv.php

The speakers were placed in a defined area, with some room treatments.
When entering the room my first impression were they were quite small, not at all like the Resolution 1 or LAT 1 from Krell. Listening to the system I could clearly hear the "typical Krell sound", ie speed and attack just as I've learned to expect; tight bass, excellence midrange - and crystal clear highs. I suspect the speakers were more or less out of the box because they didn't have that open airness other reviewers speaks about.

I've owned Resolution 1 (and 3, 4, Center and LFE in a 7.1 HT system - have a look here http://avforum.no/forum/attachments...38592d1222948420-jackx-hjemmekinotrad-040.jpg) - and currently I'm playing a full CAST Krell 5.1 LAT EVO system (LAT 1's, LAT 2's, LAT C, LFE , EVO 505 - EVO 707 - EVO 600's & 403) http://avforum.no/minhjemmekino/show.php/Jackx_krell

Cheers!

! Year later I read your message and saw your link with your KRELL Resolutions and Krell HTS system. I have 7 KRELL Resolutions (Resolution 2, 3, 4 and centre) in a 7.1 Surround system with the .1 being a B & W SUB. The S-1200 with the HTS 5 channel amp and a KAV 2500 for the front 2 speakers, the Resolution 2's.

The speakers are outstanding with clarity and depth. However I wondered if you ever found the mid bass a touch heavy with certain CD'd? Sometimes a bit "thumpy". My room is 16 x 12.

Howard

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I heard a Krell speaker at Axpona in Atlanta this year that looked exactly like this one. Given that shows are not the best place to audition equipment, and it was not a huge room, I was massively underwhelmed. No magic and nothing to differentiate it from so many other super expensive speakers.

At the same show I heard the Scaena. Now THAT was a great demo.

I'm with others who are sort of locked onto Krell as an electronics company and not a speaker company. I'm with Steve in that my favorite piece of Krell gear was a CD player with an acrylic cover that would slowly lower itself into place -- and was the best CD player I have ever owned --- before or since.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm with Steve in that my favorite piece of Krell gear was a CD player with an acrylic cover that would slowly lower itself into place -- and was the best CD player I have ever owned --- before or since.

There were 2 of them, an MD-10 and an MD-20. The only one better was the Krell KPS25sc which was the cat's meow. Play the CD and the acrylic cover went dark

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing