I think I need help..

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I ended up not futzing with the armrest.

I performed the setup. I had a heck of a time just trying to 'see' the stylus with my 10x loop. Old eyes & progressive lenses make it tough for me. I ended up moving the turntable outside on the deck (was a gorgeous day) and it helped. Once I got the first phase (overhang) I was ready to call it a day. I dread the next (alignment) step because it's hard to adjust the cartridge without messing up overhang. Anyway, just before I moved the turntable back inside I checked the alignment and I swear it was bang on. I walked away, came back a few minutes later to recheck (the Mint Tractor makes this very easy) and same thing, so I considered myself very fortunate and moved the table back into the playing position.

I was then surprised to find that the VTF was very different (1.7xx vs 2.00). I adjusted it up to 1.88 and started playing a few records.

After about 10 LP sides, I finally played the Patricia Barber LP (the one that really alerted me to the issue) and it sailed through beautifully.

Dang this thing is sounding good. Much more high frequency extension with a lot of clarity. It's clean but a tad forward sounding but I'm not complaining and I'm guessing it might settle down a bit with break-in.

This is my 3rd XV-1s. The first was purchased used from Mike Lavigne and I snapped off the cantilever and replaced it with the one I had been using up to yesterday (also purchased used). This third cart is new.

Thanks again for all the help!

Do you think it was an aged/worn out stylus on the old cartridge that was causing the sibilance?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Do you think it was an aged/worn out stylus on the old cartridge that was causing the sibilance?

That's my hunch, but it's possible that it was setup.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
That's my hunch, but it's possible that it was setup.

Either way, glad you got it sorted out. I love the sound of the XV-1s.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing