Stereo Integrity 24" IB Subwoofer- new displacement king of subwoofers

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
First post as I've been reading this forum for about a year now and really enjoy it. Thought I'd post up a link to the new Stereo Integrity infinite baffle subwoofer driver that moves more air out there than any other driver as of now. You should go to the reviews tab at the top and click on it...the first review is from the customer who bought the first one. Their shallow mount BM woofer designed for cars has been called the highest SQ driver ever made, it simply disappears in your car. I'll look forward to your responses.:D

http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=61

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Seeing that big woofer strikes the DIY bone in me. I am reminded of an article that Audio Amateur ran back somewhere around 1976, which was about building a transmission line subwoofer with a 24" Hartley. The guy who provided the instructions built one, and it literally shook his house off it's foundation. That's when he discovered that the house he lived in was held up in critical places by jacks. I still have that magazine stored, so I believe I'll take the time to track it down. I always wanted to build the Hartley transmission line, but the driver was $350 at the time of the article, and that was big money for me in those days.

Remember the Hartley? It was also quite a beast. Mark Levinson used a pair in his system.

Thanks for the link!

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Seeing that big woofer strikes the DIY bone in me. I am reminded of an article that Audio Amateur ran back somewhere around 1976, which was about building a transmission line subwoofer with a 24" Hartley. The guy who provided the instructions built one, and it literally shook his house off it's foundation. That's when he discovered that the house he lived in was held up in critical places by jacks. I still have that magazine stored, so I believe I'll take the time to track it down. I always wanted to build the Hartley transmission line, but the driver was $350 at the time of the article, and that was big money for me in those days.

Remember the Hartley? It was also quite a beast. Mark Levinson used a pair in his system.

Thanks for the link!

I owned a Hartley 24", one of the most detailed, accurate drivers I've heard, but with only 3/4" of Xmax, it bottomed out too easily, so it got sold in my quest for super subwoofage. I think the only way you could use the Hartley for 120db plus bass in the sub 30hz region would be to have 8 of them to keep the excursion down. One very famous speaker designer once told me, " Hartley was an idiot"....lol I too have the Audio Amateur article, and a collection of Hartley articles

Thanks for the warm welcome Steve.

Last edited:

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
IMG_0820.jpg IMG_0822.jpg IMG_0824.jpg IMG_0621.jpg I also owned the Hartley 24" subwoofer and used them in infinite baffle
installations. The first Hartley sub was built into a closet and provided
bass below 40 hz to my Klipschorn system.
When I moved into my new home I used two Hartleys built into the floor
and that extended the bass down to 16 hz and provided a reasonably good
match for the Magneplanar Tympani ID's.
A Velodyne SMS-1 Digital Drive subwoofer management system was used
for xover and was needed for the Hartley subs (48 db per octave filtering
below 16 hz).
As good as this sub was, it is no match for my Rotary sub that I have been
using for the past 5 years (pushes more air than any single conventional
woofer with transient response that is stunning!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
View attachment 11041 View attachment 11042 View attachment 11043 View attachment 11044 I also owned the Hartley 24" subwoofer and used them in infinite baffle
installations. The first Hartley sub was built into a closet and provided
bass below 40 hz to my Klipschorn system.
When I moved into my new home I used two Hartleys built into the floor
and that extended the bass down to 16 hz and provided a reasonably good
match for the Magneplanar Tympani ID's.
A Velodyne SMS-1 Digital Drive subwoofer management system was used
for xover and was needed for the Hartley subs (48 db per octave filtering
below 16 hz).
As good as this sub was, it is no match for my Rotary sub that I have been
using for the past 5 years (pushes more air than any single conventional
woofer with transient response that is stunning!

are you talking about Bruce's TRW

bwraudio

Jan 24, 2011
TRW-1 Rotary Sub

Yes, Bruce Thigpens TRW-1 Rotary Sub

Attachments

• IMG_0795.jpg
    IMG_0795.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,660

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
First post as I've been reading this forum for about a year now and really enjoy it. Thought I'd post up a link to the new Stereo Integrity infinite baffle subwoofer driver that moves more air out there than any other driver as of now. You should go to the reviews tab at the top and click on it...the first review is from the customer who bought the first one. Their shallow mount BM woofer designed for cars has been called the highest SQ driver ever made, it simply disappears in your car. I'll look forward to your responses.:D

http://stereointegrity.com/index.php?id=61

Cool...I know very little about tech. How big a magnet and how much power does one need to drive this thing with really pistonic, accurate-pitch bass? Or would one do electromagnetic like Focal Grand Utopia?

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Cool...I know very little about tech. How big a magnet and how much power does one need to drive this thing with really pistonic, accurate-pitch bass? Or would one do electromagnetic like Focal Grand Utopia?

It is rated for 1500 watts RMS, but most people run higher powered amps in the 2000-3000 watt range and most use PA amplifiers for the low cost per watt number that PA amps give you. You can see a picture of the woofer on the website. I'm not sure how much exactly the magnet weighs.

Here is the testimonial from one of the first buyers that they have on the reviews section of their website:

¬ "I received the HT 24. Man it's a beast! Finally got my infinite baffle enclosure built and mounted the 24". Initial listening tests are very impressive. The music now has a realistic sense of weight and dynamics. I always new I was missing something in my previous audiophile systems. SCALE! Now I have it. The feel and sense of the music. I have not even started to fine tune my system with any crossover points. I am just running everything straight with natural roll off high and low. I will NOT need any EQ, but will experiment will low pass crossovers around 70 HZ or so, but the HT 24" has good output well above that into the upper bass and midrange also, so I have some flexibility to fine tune for sure. I am very glad I decided to buy this from you. It puts all other bass I have heard to shame. No comparison at all. Horn loaded, ported, sealed, whatever, NOT EVEN CLOSE! I heard mega buck systems that are well into the thousands that can not approach the sense of scale and dynamics that I now have. REAL BASS. CLEAN AND NOT COMPRESSED. More like the real thing. Well I can't say enough really, but one thing I have noticed is that I catch myself smiling like a kid when I now listen to PINK FLOYD. It's all about the music, and enjoying the experience and I definitely am now. Again, Thank you Nick for your help and for making this HT 24". It's just what I have been missing. Gotta go and listen more!"

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It is rated for 1500 watts RMS, but most people run higher powered amps in the 2000-3000 watt range and most use PA amplifiers for the low cost per watt number that PA amps give you. You can see a picture of the woofer on the website. I'm not sure how much exactly the magnet weighs.

Here is the testimonial from one of the first buyers that they have on the reviews section of their website:

¬ "I received the HT 24. Man it's a beast! Finally got my infinite baffle enclosure built and mounted the 24". Initial listening tests are very impressive. The music now has a realistic sense of weight and dynamics. I always new I was missing something in my previous audiophile systems. SCALE! Now I have it. The feel and sense of the music. I have not even started to fine tune my system with any crossover points. I am just running everything straight with natural roll off high and low. I will NOT need any EQ, but will experiment will low pass crossovers around 70 HZ or so, but the HT 24" has good output well above that into the upper bass and midrange also, so I have some flexibility to fine tune for sure. I am very glad I decided to buy this from you. It puts all other bass I have heard to shame. No comparison at all. Horn loaded, ported, sealed, whatever, NOT EVEN CLOSE! I heard mega buck systems that are well into the thousands that can not approach the sense of scale and dynamics that I now have. REAL BASS. CLEAN AND NOT COMPRESSED. More like the real thing. Well I can't say enough really, but one thing I have noticed is that I catch myself smiling like a kid when I now listen to PINK FLOYD. It's all about the music, and enjoying the experience and I definitely am now. Again, Thank you Nick for your help and for making this HT 24". It's just what I have been missing. Gotta go and listen more!"

I think about the electromagnetic coil of the 63lb 16" woofer in the Focal Grande Utopia...it weighs 48lbs. The Velodynes' DD18+ woofer magnet structure supposedly weighs about 47 lbs also...what kind of magnet structure does it take to control a 24" woofer?? 70lbs? Yeesh...probably requires every bit of current and power to control it. Wow.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
I think about the electromagnetic coil of the 63lb 16" woofer in the Focal Grande Utopia...it weighs 48lbs. The Velodynes' DD18+ woofer magnet structure supposedly weighs about 47 lbs also...what kind of magnet structure does it take to control a 24" woofer?? 70lbs? Yeesh...probably requires every bit of current and power to control it. Wow.

I did find out that the woofer weighs close to 100 pounds and that the magnet is close to 75 pounds, so you were pretty close.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I did find out that the woofer weighs close to 100 pounds and that the magnet is close to 75 pounds, so you were pretty close.

Not a bad guesstimate for a non-techie! Now the question is how much current and drive does one need to drive something that heavy? And do the power requirements increase geometrically for these sized cones? I do wonder. Interesting that Wilson has chosen 2 15" drivers for their Thor...here is another similar beast using 2 15" drivers.

Krell's Master Reference Sub:

"Two specially designed 15-inch woofers, each capable of an astounding 3-inch cone excursion, feature high-tech rubber surrounds and massive motors. Mounting the drivers opposite one another and in phase is a unique arrangement that cancels driver borne resonances while promoting efficiency.

At the core of the Master Reference Subwoofer sits a massive, 2600 W Krell amplifier. Equipped with an 8000 VA power supply and a regulated output stage, this purpose-built behemoth drives the MRS to summon hurricane-like air movement and extraordinary acoustic output. It is capable of a staggering
120 dB sound pressure level output at 20 Hz. An advanced comparator circuit for input-synchronous driver control eliminates the performance limitations of conventional negative feedback servo systems.

Supporting such prodigious bass output is a massive chassis constructed of 1-inch-thick aluminum with 2-inch-thick speaker baffles. Weighing 400 pounds, this ultra-rigid cabinet ensures the purest low-frequency reproduction, totally free of typical coloration problems caused by resonance and vibration. The chassis features a high-precision diamond-cut finish, which preserves the natural beauty of the aluminum while providing a distinctive appearance that blends elegantly with interior décor..."

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Not a bad guesstimate for a non-techie! Now the question is how much current and drive does one need to drive something that heavy? And do the power requirements increase geometrically for these sized cones? I do wonder.

They recommend that you should have at least 1K watts on this thing, or you shouldn't buy it. When you are moving this much surface area you need the power ( you wouldn't power a tank with a VW engine ). And the power requirement do not increase geometrically according to the designer. I asked about that already. But as I said earlier, most people use PA amps in the 2500 watt range to put on their subs, no matter what large woofer they choose, as watts are cheap these days, and most of the amps already have adjustable electronic crossovers in them which makes them a even bigger bargain.

Last edited by a moderator:

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
They are doing a raffle/giveaway for one of these too for a fundraiser for the MS Society. Go to the Stereo Integrity site for the donation link. It is a 10.00 donation per entry, which should be a very good chance of winning this thing. You can donate as many 10.00 entries that you would like.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Here is a video of the excursion it has:

and here is a quote from one of the first customers:
"Alright. I finally got this behemoth installed last night. Took over two hours cause we had problems soldering the huge 8 gauge wires to the terminal connectors I purchased from Parts express. Only had limited time to listen to the sub since I also had to go to my nephew's birthday party last night. However here are my initial impressions. This thing is a MONSTER with HT. The FTW 21's hit hard and deep, but they took a good amount of power to get them going. Not with the 2 ohm version of this driver. I used one channel of my Crown XLI 3500 amp and this driver pounds at even the lowest volume level.

We let it fly for a little while and got up to 122db on the spl meter before I decided to call it a day. The driver was not distorting and had more to give. But my ears had enough already. The rear patio door in the rear bedroom of my brother's house 40ft away from the living room was rattling so hard it sounded like it was about to brake. And the dogs across the fence from my brother's house were barking like crazy because they could feel the bass coming across the yard. We watched 5 minute clips from Tron Legacy, Saving Private Ryan, War of The Worlds, and Battlefield Los Angeles.

The SI 24 was brilliant with each clip. Deep, thunderous bass with zero decay or lingering. Running one FTW 21 by itself gave out a good amount of bass, but there was always the feeling that it needed a bit more help from an additional sealed sub to really get the room rocking.No such thing with the SI 24. My brother's room is around 2000 cubic ft and it easily overtook his living room with room crushing bass with no need of another sub to do it. However I will never keep any sub which is not extremely musical. And that was my one complaint with the FTW 21. They were easily the best HT driver I'd ever heard at my time of purchasing them. However their was some sound decay with music so I could never give them better than a B at best for music. I played various tracks from O'Jays Used To Be My Girl, Michael Jackson Give In To Me, Danzig Mother, Teairra Marie Hunt For You, and Isley Brothers Choosey Lover. The SI 24 was articulate, deep, effortlessly loud yet smooth with zero sound decay.

The SI 24 delivers what I consider A+ audiophile bass for music which is my number one priority. So in short I can say this driver is the real deal for picky Audiophiles and HT high quality enthusiasts. It's the Megatron driver I've been searching for over five years and going through over 20 different subs.I finally have one driver which excels in spl and depth for HT, along with smooth articulate bass for music with zero decay. Finally found a driver which can hang with my 7 channel pro speaker setup without holding them back. I'm amazed. And I shall be purchasing a second SI 24 from Nick in early 2014."

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fascinating... how does a non-techie audiophile use this cone? Is it avail 'turnkey' As a total sub for a non-techie to use?
I looked back and it seems it is mainly for custom design jobs. Thanks.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Fascinating... how does a non-techie audiophile use this cone? Is it avail 'turnkey' As a total sub for a non-techie to use?
I looked back and it seems it is mainly for custom design jobs. Thanks.

It is not available already mounted in a box, just the raw driver as most people are installing this as an Infinite Baffle sub, or making their own box for it to fit in a certain size space. I think they can custom build you a basic box for it, but you'll have to contact them about it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It is not available already mounted in a box, just the raw driver as most people are installing this as an Infinite Baffle sub, or making their own box for it to fit in a certain size space. I think they can custom build you a basic box for it, but you'll have to contact them about it.

Thanks...I will say, if you know the right techie, it would be interesting to take the budget of, say, a big Velodyne or JL...and see if someone can combine a super (but much older Krell amp), Velodyne or other active crossover network, and an insanely insert shell (perhaps something out of aluminium or dipole arrangement like the old Celestion SL6000 or Genesis sub towers) and some quality footings (Ultra 5s), wiring, powercable, etc, to see how it would compare to a Krell MRA Sub or the Magico QSub... I have no illusions about how good those are...Dan D'Agostino is not Dan D'Agostino by accident. But a super power amp, great crossover and quality cone with an insert shell seem like a very interesting way to approach a great sub for a lot less than the 30K-50K for either of these massive subs.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Thanks...I will say, if you know the right techie, it would be interesting to take the budget of, say, a big Velodyne or JL...and see if someone can combine a super (but much older Krell amp), Velodyne or other active crossover network, and an insanely insert shell (perhaps something out of aluminium or dipole arrangement like the old Celestion SL6000 or Genesis sub towers) and some quality footings (Ultra 5s), wiring, powercable, etc, to see how it would compare to a Krell MRA Sub or the Magico QSub... I have no illusions about how good those are...Dan D'Agostino is not Dan D'Agostino by accident. But a super power amp, great crossover and quality cone with an insert shell seem like a very interesting way to approach a great sub for a lot less than the 30K-50K for either of these massive subs.

I know they were talking about making it available with a finished box, but not amplified, as most everyone in the Home Theater world buys high powered PA style amps which have a crossover built into them for 300.00 to 800.00 or so with 3000 to 6000 watts. Most people just have trouble with building the box, as they don't have the resources to build a high quality box worthy of putting in your Living room. If they built a finished box with the woofer installed and ready to be hooked to some speaker cables, would you be interested in buying one then, out of curiosity?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing