I'll be in San Francisco starting tomorrow night

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
...until Wednesday morning, any recommendation as for local events?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
California Audio Show doesn't start until Aug. 9th, unfortunately. I live in Pleasanton, about 45 minutes away. I'll be there Monday thru Wed. if you want to drop buy for a listen. The place is a bit of a mess, we spend a lot of our time in Santa Cruz, but always nice to put a face to the blogosphere. Drop a PM if you are interested.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
@cj -I know Pleasanton quite well since I used to work for Sybase some years back, thanks and will PM you.
@steve -thanks, but attending an off-site meeting with my boss and just have some "hours" to do something different this time.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Serious food town. And check out the Tonga Room or whatever it is called in the basement of the Fairmont on top of the hill.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Serious food town. And check out the Tonga Room or whatever it is called in the basement of the Fairmont on top of the hill.

that is about as touristy as they get Bill ;)

See if you can get into Gary Danko or Fleurs de Lys. Bring your appetite and your wallet ;)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
that is about as touristy as they get Bill ;)

See if you can get into Gary Danko or Fleurs de Lys. Bring your appetite and your wallet ;)

It's iconic. Not many cities have one of those faux Polynesian places since they went out of fashion in the 70's- great place for an umbrella drink.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I know . I've been there so many times taking relatives or out of town guests. I know the act all too well :eek:

First time I was there I expected Don Ho to come out on the boat and sing

Don has lot's of relatives there, at least based on common last name.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Playing at Yoshi's on Filmore St. on the 8th

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Anytime Flez, I always liked the Gypsy Kings and this band has some Gypsy Kings DNA in their line-up. Too bad I missed them a few weeks ago. :(

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Well I skip the Gypsy Kings thing but was honoured to visit Carl and his wife in California, it was a nice ride and no traffic thanks to the traffic-avoiding GPS of the driver.

I really enjoyed my time at Carl's sanctuary!, a great host both of them (made me feel at home really) and had the chance to listen to his great set-up, up to the extent that I might be afraid to listen back to mine once I heard that level of musicality, energy and involvement comming out from those planars, subs and valves !!!

The music picks were great as well, time just went by and due to time zone differences I got tired sooner than expected and Carl was kind enough to take me back to San Francisco.

I just loved his setup, a music lover temple for sure!, thanks Carl for your kindness, I will listen to the record you gave me once I override my fear to listen it now on my humble system!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Thanks so much, Fernando, for you kind words. We had a nice visit, and managed to laugh at ourselves a bit for our audiophile foibles. We will catch up again at RMAF.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing