More 70's Music on Vinyl- Original or Early Pressings

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That's very interesting, Bill. Where was your WWA record made? I know that Vertigo pressed records all over the world, I have seen these Lp's from Israel, South America, Australia and other places. I think the collectable one's are the original UK pressings.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sorry Bill -- thanks for doing that. I've listened to a friend's original Vertigo pressing with big swirl...one of the best recordings I've ever heard. The musicianship is incredible. Tommy Iommi is incredible on this LP.

Wow, jazdoc, you like Black Sabbath...I'm impressed!! I thought I may have been alone on this forum as a lover of jazz and metal, LOL. Agreed that the original UK Vertigo pressing is an incredible recording.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Wow, jazdoc, you like Black Sabbath...I'm impressed!! I thought I may have been alone on this forum as a lover of jazz and metal, LOL. Agreed that the original UK Vertigo pressing is an incredible recording.

I'm paying big bucks to suppress a photo of yours truly flashing devil horns at a recent Iron Maiden concert :D

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Sorry Bill -- thanks for doing that. I've listened to a friend's original Vertigo pressing with big swirl...one of the best recordings I've ever heard. The musicianship is incredible. Tommy Iommi is incredible on this LP.
Doc- for you, almost anything :) I just like to bitch.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
That's very interesting, Bill. Where was your WWA record made? I know that Vertigo pressed records all over the world, I have seen these Lp's from Israel, South America, Australia and other places. I think the collectable one's are the original UK pressings.
Davey, these are UK records, but later issues, and don't command the kilo bucks that the big swirl Vertigo does.
For what it's worth, I'm listening to Rod's Every Pciture on a UK Black Label Mercury. It is pretty amazing. I got a US WLP but haven't compared them. The tone of the UK pressing is very 'right.'

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey, these are UK records, but later issues, and don't command the kilo bucks that the big swirl Vertigo does.
For what it's worth, I'm listening to Rod's Every Pciture on a UK Black Label Mercury. It is pretty amazing. I got a US WLP but haven't compared them. The tone of the UK pressing is very 'right.'

Bill, any idea as to when the WWA label was issued? I'm pretty sure the original swirl Vertigo's were from the early to mid 70's. BTW, some of the original bronze label pressings are also very worth while seeking out.
I noticed that one of my fave's: Uriah Heep- "Demons and Wizard's" is being re-issued now.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Bill, any idea as to when the WWA label was issued? I'm pretty sure the original swirl Vertigo's were from the early to mid 70's. BTW, some of the original bronze label pressings are also very worth while seeking out.
I noticed that one of my fave's: Uriah Heep- "Demons and Wizard's" is being re-issued now.
Davey- go to discogs. Look up Black Sabbath and pick one of the albums, like Paranoid. Then, in the lower part of the screen, make sure you hit 'all' for the release list. They give country, date, label, catalog number and in some cases additional info. The WWA's were released after the Vertigos, but in the case of Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath, my recollection is that it was first released on WWA in the UK. The problem is that in many cases a seller doesn't disclose the matrix numbers, and asking for them will get you that info, if you know what the Vertigo matrices are (assuming you are going in that direction). I have found Hoffman's site to be a huge help in this respect.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

Agreed, it is a terrific recording. I read in another thread that Ralph (Atma-Sphere) uses it as a demo album. Definitely worthy of that :)

Bill are you mostly using Ebay for these finds?

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Agreed, it is a terrific recording. I read in another thread that Ralph (Atma-Sphere) uses it as a demo album. Definitely worthy of that :)

Bill are you mostly using Ebay for these finds?

Ssshhh! :)
There are a handful of reliable dealers for UK stuff in the UK that I use; and for a lot of the US pressings, e.g. old Warners and the like, I have been pretty successful on ebay; again, for the most part, it seems like the same dealers often have the stuff I want. EIL in the UK is very high quality, but tres cher; everything I've ever gotten from them has been impeccable. And, in a few cases, again mainly for US pressings, SH classifieds.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Ssshhh! :)
There are a handful of reliable dealers for UK stuff in the UK that I use; and for a lot of the US pressings, e.g. old Warners and the like, I have been pretty successful on ebay; again, for the most part, it seems like the same dealers often have the stuff I want. EIL in the UK is very high quality, but tres cher; everything I've ever gotten from them has been impeccable. And, in a few cases, again mainly for US pressings, SH classifieds.

I have a green label Chrysalis Thick As A Brick first pressing on the way from the UK. "Porky" mastering. Fingers crossed it is a good one.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have a green label Chrysalis Thick As A Brick first pressing on the way from the UK. "Porky" mastering. Fingers crossed it is a good one.

I have at least 3 pressings of Thick as A Brick and I haven't found a good one yet.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey- go to discogs. Look up Black Sabbath and pick one of the albums, like Paranoid. Then, in the lower part of the screen, make sure you hit 'all' for the release list. They give country, date, label, catalog number and in some cases additional info. The WWA's were released after the Vertigos, but in the case of Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath, my recollection is that it was first released on WWA in the UK. The problem is that in many cases a seller doesn't disclose the matrix numbers, and asking for them will get you that info, if you know what the Vertigo matrices are (assuming you are going in that direction). I have found Hoffman's site to be a huge help in this respect.

Thanks for that, Bill. BTW, I'm looking for the six-fold poster that went with the original UK Vertigo pressing of Master of Reality. I own this pressing, BUT the darned poster went missing years ago. If anyone has any ideas on where to source the poster, i would love to hear them.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I have at least 3 pressings of Thick as A Brick and I haven't found a good one yet.

I would agree about the US pressings I've heard as well as the old Mofi. The gold CD is good. In my experience George Peckham mastered LPs are usually very good.

DaveyF I don't have the poster for my MoR Vertigo either. Getting the vinyl back in that unusual top loading jacket is also a bit of a chore...

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
OK, Whart got me pulling records off the shelf...

Beach Boys "Sunflower", Reprise, RS 6382, 1970 -- very under-appreciated LP

Todd Rundgren "Something, Anything", Bearsville 2BX 2066, 1972

Steely Dan "Pretzel Logic", ABC Records, ABCD808, 1974

Earth Wind & Fire "That's The Way of the World", Columbia, PC 33280, 1975

Robert Palmer "Pressure Drop", Island, ILPS 9372, 1975 -- a highlight of a strange career, title song is a killer cover

Elton John "Blue Moves", MCA/Rocket Records, 2-110004, 1976 -- another under-appreciated LP, 3 sides would have been better than 4

Peter Frampton "Frampton Comes Alive", A&M, SP3703, 1976 -- admit it: you own it and you like it

10cc "Deceptive Bends", Mercury, SRM-1-3702 (US), 1977 -- excellent LP with classic cover by Hipgnosis

Commodores "S/T", Motown, M7-88 RI, 1977 -- she's a brick..house

Rolling Stones "Some Girls", RSR (UK) CUN 39108 (OC 064-61-1016 on back cover)
Rolling Stones "Some Girls", RSR (US) COC 39109 (STERLING stamped in runout) -- I slightly prefer this version

Dave Edmunds "Repeat When Necessary", Swan Song (UK), SSK 59409, 1979 -- a great Rockpile LP

The Clash "London Calling", Epic Canada E236328 -- I prefer this pressing to the original UK with STERLING in runout -- ?Best LP of the 1970's?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nice list of recommendations. Have them all except Beach Boys and Dave Edmunds.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
So much music, so little time. I have most of those records too. I loved "Hello it's Me" on Something/Anything. Haven't listened to it since it first came out.
Let me add another one- and easily gettable. Dave Mason's 'Alone Together.' There are 4 or 5 tracks on this album that qualify as greatest hits. Musically, it is a wonderful album. I have one of the old 'splatter' copies down in Texas that I haven't listened to yet, but the 'heavy vinyl' reissue by MCA is cheap and good.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I listened to a side of London Calling this afternoon- not even a special pressing, just an older Epic from the US- man, those guys had it. In retrospect, more than 'punk' it was rock and roll, well played.
A friend on another site sent me a somewhat beat copy of The Yes Album- it wasn't in as bad a condition as he thought, and it sounded great. I found a pristine Piros Monarch for 15 bucks- this thing is glorious!
Been banging through all those early Sabbath records. And yes, though I got some with crossed-through Vertigo matrixes, I decided to spring for a couple of first press Vertigos. You only live once (I hope). More later.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I listened to a side of London Calling this afternoon- not even a special pressing, just an older Epic from the US- man, those guys had it. In retrospect, more than 'punk' it was rock and roll, well played.
A friend on another site sent me a somewhat beat copy of The Yes Album- it wasn't in as bad a condition as he thought, and it sounded great. I found a pristine Piros Monarch for 15 bucks- this thing is glorious!
Been banging through all those early Sabbath records. And yes, though I got some with crossed-through Vertigo matrixes, I decided to spring for a couple of first press Vertigos. You only live once (I hope). More later.

You've been on a tear as of late! Nice!:)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
i normally don't listen loud. Paranoid has to be CRANKED. The bass, even on the later pressing, is pretty good. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like on the early Vertigo.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
James Taylor Greatest Hits is as good as i remember it; mid-70's compilation mastered by Bernie Grundman from a variety of sources. Not a terribly expensive or hard record to find. I've had mine since it was released.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing