More 70's Music on Vinyl- Original or Early Pressings

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I like the Yes Fragile LP as well. However, it is a compressed recording with less than stellar dynamic range as a result. There are some pretty 'trippy' cuts on there where they borrowed some Pink Floyd type sound effects like the guy running around in a circle and you can hear each footstep.

What pressing are you referring to Mark? Since you know the sound of the tape, can you still say Fragile is a compressed recording or is just the album?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Seems I'm in the minority but I find all the Ronstadt albums unlistenable. That reverb plate on her voice is like fingernails on the chalkboard.

Ronstadts what's new with the nelson riddle orchestra is the exception. look for TML in the dead wax and you have a good one.

Last edited:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Sorry Rob but there is no way you can say this if you have heard the 15 ips tape. Fragile is bare none, one of the best rock recordings I have heard. The LP is a decent representation of the original recording but the album still loses a lot, most notably the low end, information and spatiality.

I found Chad's reissue very good and more than competitive with an original Piros mastering (what I consider to be the best masterings of Fragile). As a matter of fact, Fragile sadly reminds us of when rock recordings actually had some semblance of dynamic range.

Myles, too much tobasco in your bloody mary this morning?:D

im no expert on the best pressing of fragile but i'll take your word the tape is better. its still compressed to me and MEP agrees so there;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, too much tobasco in your bloody mary this morning?:D

im no expert on the best pressing of fragile but i'll take your word the tape is better. its still compressed to me and MEP agrees so there;)

Mark still hasn't responded to my question. And I think different front end will give different results on different albums.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What pressing are you referring to Mark? Since you know the sound of the tape, can you still say Fragile is a compressed recording or is just the album?

I don't have any 'special' LPs of Fragile. The tape is compressed, but I don't mean compressed to death. It's just there and it's definitely a governor on the dynamic range throttle.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I don't have any 'special' LPs of Fragile. The tape is compressed, but I don't mean compressed to death. It's just there and it's definitely a governor on the dynamic range throttle.

That's not my experience :) Fragile's not compressed more than any other other rock recording and in fact, has one of the widest dynamic ranges, especially compared to today's ilk.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
If I may offer an opinion, as a Yes fan first and audiophile second, I think "Fragile" is one of the best sounding Yes albums. Their later albums were MUCH more compressed, with a lot more going on, forming that "compressed mass" sound that can be annoying at times.

"Yes Album" is pretty clean too, in my opinion. In fact, I use it as a reference. I could've used "Fragile", as it sounds great too, but the music on "Yes Album" is better :)

Since we're talking 70s prog on vinyl, I'm listening to PFM's first "Storia di un minuto", on a original '72 pressing, and being very underwhelmed. Maybe it's this particular copy, but the CD is no slouch, being more open and detailed, and the vinyl more muddy and closed-in, with less highs.

alexandre

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
For the more adventurous, many Phillip's pressings of Brazilian artists from the 1970's are quite good. A few I enjoy:

Jorge Ben "Africa Brasil"
Jorge Ben "Solta O Pavao"
Maria Bethania "Alibi"
Gilberto Gil "Refazenda"
Elis Regina/Jobim "Elis & Tom"

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

mep

Apr 20, 2010
That's not my experience :) Fragile's not compressed more than any other other rock recording and in fact, has one of the widest dynamic ranges, especially compared to today's ilk.

Myles-It's too bad that your VU meters are disconnected so you can see how much they swing or don't swing playing back different recordings. There is a definite correlation between meter movement and dynamic range. Recordings that are compressed to death will have the meters pretty much pegged in one spot and they won't move much at all. Recordings that have lots of dynamic range will swing your meters from -20 to +3 and all points in between. Most of the jazz recordings I have do this easily. In fact, some you have to really watch closely so you don't have the output turned too high on the deck so it will peg your meter when the recording was made on the hot side. The next time I play Fragile, I will pay close attention to what I'm seeing and hearing. Again, I'm not trying to say this is a heavily compressed recording, but I do detect compression and it's certainly not one of my most dynamic recordings. I have an Elton John recording that is much better in terms of dynamic range.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Spinning an original pink Capricorn pressing of The Allman Brohers "At Filmore East" that sounds mighty fine!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Spinning an original pink Capricorn pressing of The Allman Brohers "At Filmore East" that sounds mighty fine!

My Canadian "white" Capricorn sounds wonderful as well.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

I played that record to death back in the early 70's. I have my original copy around somewhere. I also have it on Classic, bought new when it was re-released. Never compared them, but figure the original is gonna kick some Macon style ass. Love those boys. Sat next to their table at the RRHoF dinner (I think it was the year the band was inducted- they were some big mofo's-and I'm not talking about Warren Haynes (who used to live nearby).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A question...what's the best copy of James Taylor - Sweet Baby James?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
A question...what's the best copy of James Taylor - Sweet Baby James?

I just missed winning on Ebay by $1 a 45 rpm test pressing of SBJ. Drat....

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Last edited:

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I was actually just comparing the copy below to a WB/Rhino re release of a couple of years ago. Right now I prefer the Rhino copy. The 180g vinyl is much quieter than my 40+ year old original even though my original is in great shape. The Rhino version seems more transparent and defined as well.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I was actually just comparing the copy below to a WB/Rhino re release of a couple of years ago. Right now I prefer the Rhino copy. The 180g vinyl is much quieter than my 40+ year old original even though my original is in great shape. The Rhino version seems more transparent and defined as well.

Interesting- I've been blown away by how good some of the early Green label pressings are on Warners, not sure about the Sweet Baby James record. The standard issue JT is pretty excellent, but I remember it on Columbia, not Warners, am I wrong?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Interesting- I've been blown away by how good some of the early Green label pressings are on Warners, not sure about the Sweet Baby James record. The standard issue JT is pretty excellent, but I remember it on Columbia, not Warners, am I wrong?

JT was his first release for Columbia in 1977. He was with Warner from 1969 until then. First label was Apple in 1968.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing