More 70's Music on Vinyl- Original or Early Pressings

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I don't know why, but I had a hankering to listen to stuff that I hadn't listened to in years- in some cases I never even owned the vinyl because it was radio drivel at the time. But, now, having sought out early pressings, none of which cost a fortune, I'm flabbergasted by how good some of this stuff is, both musically and sonically. Here's a short list:
Heart- Dreamboat Annie- on Mushroom label- this thing sounds unbelievable.
Elton John- UK pressings on DJM label- I always liked Tumbleweed Connection and would play it occasionally, but it sounded compressed. The early UK pressings are anything but. So, Tumbleweed and Madman Across the Water are highly recommended. I just bought his self-titled (second album in UK but first album in US)-also on DJM and will report.
The first two Chicago albums on early UK pressings- mentioned in another thread.
Best of Bread- early Elektra 'Butterfly' label pressings-
Stage Fright- early 'RL' pressing- I owned this one since new. Killer. So, too, is Rock of Ages.
Queen- Night at the Opera- first UK pressing.
Rod Stewart- every picture, etc. I bought two copies, a white label promo from the US and a UK first pressing. Am still waiting for the latter, the WLP is very good.
Linda Ronstadt- Prisoner in Disguise- Asylum but early pressing with TML in deadwax. Yum.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
looks like you're giving he AD a workout ;)

i couldnt agree more re the '70s rock/pop/soul recordings which hit a sweet spot. i think it was the culmination of everything engineers learned about analog technique -- many still used tubes -- and just before they ef'd it up with multitrack, compression, etc. the acoustic can be warm and spacious on those records. the rod stewart every picture and elton johns eponymous LP are superb but you wont get off cheap for the 'right' uk pressing

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Bill, many of the original Vertigo label UK pressings are superb. Same for many of the Island and Bronze labels. However, pricing on many of these LP's is now also VERY high.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
looks like you're giving he AD a workout ;)

i couldnt agree more re the '70s rock/pop/soul recordings which hit a sweet spot. i think it was the culmination of everything engineers learned about analog technique -- many still used tubes -- and just before they ef'd it up with multitrack, compression, etc. the acoustic can be warm and spacious on those records. the rod stewart every picture and elton johns eponymous LP are superb but you wont get off cheap for the 'right' uk pressing
Puro, you'd be suprised at how cheaply some of these can be found if you search around; granted, you are a potential victim of seller grading but I've been pretty lucky.
And yes, the new machine makes this painless. I cleaned quite a few records yesterday, no drama, no lower back pain. At the risk of shilling, I'd say they enable you to enjoy more music rather than spend time toiling over a hot stove.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'll throw out a few more:

Linda Ronstadt "Simple Dreams"
Steve Miller Band "Book of Dreams"
David Crosby "If I Could Only Remeber My Name"
Elton John "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player"
Yes "Fragile" (UK Atlantic Plum Label)
Earth, Wind & Fire "That's The Way Of The World"
Stevie Wonder "Songs In The Key of Life"
Jethro Tull "Warchild" (Original UK Chrysalis pressing)
The Clash "London Calling" (Original US Epic pressing...no label credit for "Train in Vain")

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i was watching an ebay auction for a mint, still in shrink 1st UK pressing of every picture and it went for $280, my pain threshold was $50:(

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

The Clash "London Calling" (Original US Epic pressing...no label credit for "Train in Vain")

i didnt care for Chad's 200g pressing of Fragile and he claims his smoks all versions. he took this effort personally as it one of his fave all-time rock albums. i know another collector that likes the Uk plum pressing but admits its not a great recording.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Gino Vannelli - Brother To Brother.

The US/CAN pressings are already very good, but much to my delight I just found an A&M Audiophile pressing in my Calgary stash. Totally forgot I even had this. Will bring it back when I return tomorrow.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

Some of these i have; I'd love to have the UK Island pressings of the early Tull records, but they are quite pricey. I'll have to check out the ones on your list that I don't think I have. I always found the Steve Wonder stuff on Tamla to sound a little 'closed in' or muffled. I was pleasantly surprised by the Talking Book reissue, which I think is 'new' MoFi.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Some of these i have; I'd love to have the UK Island pressings of the early Tull records, but they are quite pricey. I'll have to check out the ones on your list that I don't think I have. I always found the Steve Wonder stuff on Tamla to sound a little 'closed in' or muffled. I was pleasantly surprised by the Talking Book reissue, which I think is 'new' MoFi.

Silver MoFi....very, very nice indeed!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

All those early Island pressings are great. Ironically, after the 70's, Island records produced uniformally crappy recordings IME.

The Black Sabbath UK Vertigo pressings (esp with the "large swirl") and early UK Bowie LPs sound fabulous but cost plenty for minty copies.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
All those early Island pressings are great. Ironically, after the 70's, Island records produced uniformally crappy recordings IME.

The Black Sabbath UK Vertigo pressings (esp with the "large swirl") and early UK Bowie LPs sound fabulous but cost plenty for minty copies.
The price of those early copies of Paranoid is giving me Vertigo. Maybe a German pressing with a big swirl? Dunno. I was also pleasantly surprised by the Ziggy vinyl reissue of Spiders from Mars that came with a DVD. Unfortunately, both copies I have glitch on one track- apparently a known problem. Sometimes, the old records are less problematic in this respect. Yep, I meant the early Island pink label and pink rim. Thanks for chiming in Doc.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
i didnt care for Chad's 200g pressing of Fragile and he claims his smoks all versions. he took this effort personally as it one of his fave all-time rock albums. i know another collector that likes the Uk plum pressing but admits its not a great recording.

I like the Yes Fragile LP as well. However, it is a compressed recording with less than stellar dynamic range as a result. There are some pretty 'trippy' cuts on there where they borrowed some Pink Floyd type sound effects like the guy running around in a circle and you can hear each footstep.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hey John weren't you going to go to Calgary with a semi-truck? Did you buy anything at that record store?

No, but I did go through the stash and re-boxed everything into some U-Haul Small Boxes (perfect for LP's). Will measure and weigh a box and then get some quotes to have them shipped to me (hopefully by year-end).

Going to Recordland was an experience to be sure. Have some pics that'll post next week....Only bought a few LP's. America - Hearts, APP- Vulture Culture and Stereonomy, TFF - The Hurting (for the cover).

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Let me add a few more:
early Epic pressing (orange label) of Dr. Sardonicus;
every green label Warner I have fired up today has been killer:
Doobie Bros. Toulouse St. (yikes!- I pulled this one out after, uh, 40 years? It's what we are paying all those bucks to Chad to get on 45 rpm); Van Morrison -his band and St. Choir, St. Dominic's Preview.
I do not think your mileage will vary. :)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i havent heard the dr sardonicus in years, i listend to song samples of the net - it fills a void in me somewhere ill have to find me an orangle label.

i was going thru my finds from last weeknds record swap and i pulled out carly simons "anticpation" 1st pressing and the sonics are outstanding. someone just reissued "no secrets" me thinks an excuse to reprint the cover flaunting that great rack of hers but anticipation is better. i found near mint copies of joan armatradings eponymous album, "show some emotion" and "to the limit" 1st press on A&M, again great sonics and music. little feat always had great production values on their records, i scored a mint 1st pressing of "the last record album" and my jaw hit the floor - good stuff.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
i havent heard the dr sardonicus in years, i listend to song samples of the net - it fills a void in me somewhere ill have to find me an orangle label.

i was going thru my finds from last weeknds record swap and i pulled out carly simons "anticpation" 1st pressing and the sonics are outstanding. someone just reissued "no secrets" me thinks an excuse to reprint the cover flaunting that great rack of hers but anticipation is better. i found near mint copies of joan armatradings eponymous album, "show some emotion" and "to the limit" 1st press on A&M, again great sonics and music. little feat always had great production values on their records, i scored a mint 1st pressing of "the last record album" and my jaw hit the floor - good stuff.
I think the first pressings are on the yellow label but the orange label is probably a second pressing and sounds great. Carly Simon- I'll track it down, you are right about her gear. I never thought the A & M stuff sounded particularly good, but maybe the right pressing makes a difference. I loved the early little feat albums, first album with roy estrada, dixie chicken, sailin' shoes, etc. Met them years ago when Lowell was alive- Roy Buchanan opened for them. All I remember of the show was how LOUD all of them played, Roy included.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Sorry Rob but there is no way you can say this if you have heard the 15 ips tape. Fragile is bare none, one of the best rock recordings I have heard. The LP is a decent representation of the original recording but the album still loses a lot, most notably the low end, information and spatiality.

I found Chad's reissue very good and more than competitive with an original Piros mastering (what I consider to be the best masterings of Fragile). As a matter of fact, Fragile sadly reminds us of when rock recordings actually had some semblance of dynamic range.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I don't know why, but I had a hankering to listen to stuff that I hadn't listened to in years- in some cases I never even owned the vinyl because it was radio drivel at the time. But, now, having sought out early pressings, none of which cost a fortune, I'm flabbergasted by how good some of this stuff is, both musically and sonically. Here's a short list:
Heart- Dreamboat Annie- on Mushroom label- this thing sounds unbelievable.
Elton John- UK pressings on DJM label- I always liked Tumbleweed Connection and would play it occasionally, but it sounded compressed. The early UK pressings are anything but. So, Tumbleweed and Madman Across the Water are highly recommended. I just bought his self-titled (second album in UK but first album in US)-also on DJM and will report.
The first two Chicago albums on early UK pressings- mentioned in another thread.
Best of Bread- early Elektra 'Butterfly' label pressings-
Stage Fright- early 'RL' pressing- I owned this one since new. Killer. So, too, is Rock of Ages.
Queen- Night at the Opera- first UK pressing.
Rod Stewart- every picture, etc. I bought two copies, a white label promo from the US and a UK first pressing. Am still waiting for the latter, the WLP is very good.
Linda Ronstadt- Prisoner in Disguise- Asylum but early pressing with TML in deadwax. Yum.

Seems I'm in the minority but I find all the Ronstadt albums unlistenable. That reverb plate on her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard. It makes the paint peel off the wall.

Same goes for Stage Fright. Too bad you're not around anymore because I'd play you the tape of Stage Fright as well as the LP. I guarantee you'd throw up if you actually heard how badly they mastered the album and murdered the EQ on Stage Fright! Ughhh! Any similarity between the tape and album of Stage Fright is purely coincidental.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing