Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: More 70's Music on Vinyl- Original or Early Pressings

More 70's Music on Vinyl- Original or Early Pressings

I don't know why, but I had a hankering to listen to stuff that I hadn't listened to in years- in some cases I never even owned the vinyl because it was radio drivel at the time. But, now, having sought out early pressings, none of which cost a fortune, I'm flabbergasted by how good some of this stuff is, both musically and sonically. Here's a short list:
    Heart- Dreamboat Annie- on Mushroom label- this thing sounds unbelievable.
    Elton John- UK pressings on DJM label- I always liked Tumbleweed Connection and would play it occasionally, but it sounded compressed. The early UK pressings are anything but. So, Tumbleweed and Madman Across the Water are highly recommended. I just bought his self-titled (second album in UK but first album in US)-also on DJM and will report.
    The first two Chicago albums on early UK pressings- mentioned in another thread.
    Best of Bread- early Elektra 'Butterfly' label pressings-
    Stage Fright- early 'RL' pressing- I owned this one since new. Killer. So, too, is Rock of Ages.
    Queen- Night at the Opera- first UK pressing.
    Rod Stewart- every picture, etc. I bought two copies, a white label promo from the US and a UK first pressing. Am still waiting for the latter, the WLP is very good.
    Linda Ronstadt- Prisoner in Disguise- Asylum but early pressing with TML in deadwax. Yum.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    looks like you're giving he AD a workout

i couldnt agree more re the '70s rock/pop/soul recordings which hit a sweet spot. i think it was the culmination of everything engineers learned about analog technique -- many still used tubes -- and just before they ef'd it up with multitrack, compression, etc. the acoustic can be warm and spacious on those records. the rod stewart every picture and elton johns eponymous LP are superb but you wont get off cheap for the 'right' uk pressing
    Rob

Bill, many of the original Vertigo label UK pressings are superb. Same for many of the Island and Bronze labels. However, pricing on many of these LP's is now also VERY high.

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    looks like you're giving he AD a workout

i couldnt agree more re the '70s rock/pop/soul recordings which hit a sweet spot. i think it was the culmination of everything engineers learned about analog technique -- many still used tubes -- and just before they ef'd it up with multitrack, compression, etc. the acoustic can be warm and spacious on those records. the rod stewart every picture and elton johns eponymous LP are superb but you wont get off cheap for the 'right' uk pressing
    Puro, you'd be suprised at how cheaply some of these can be found if you search around; granted, you are a potential victim of seller grading but I've been pretty lucky.
    And yes, the new machine makes this painless. I cleaned quite a few records yesterday, no drama, no lower back pain. At the risk of shilling, I'd say they enable you to enjoy more music rather than spend time toiling over a hot stove.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! jazdoc's Avatar
    I'll throw out a few more:

Linda Ronstadt "Simple Dreams"
    Steve Miller Band "Book of Dreams"
    David Crosby "If I Could Only Remeber My Name"
    Elton John "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player"
    Yes "Fragile" (UK Atlantic Plum Label)
    Earth, Wind & Fire "That's The Way Of The World"
    Stevie Wonder "Songs In The Key of Life"
    Jethro Tull "Warchild" (Original UK Chrysalis pressing)
    The Clash "London Calling" (Original US Epic pressing...no label credit for "Train in Vain")

i was watching an ebay auction for a mint, still in shrink 1st UK pressing of every picture and it went for $280, my pain threshold was $50
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jazdoc View Post

The Clash "London Calling" (Original US Epic pressing...no label credit for "Train in Vain")
    i didnt care for Chad's 200g pressing of Fragile and he claims his smoks all versions. he took this effort personally as it one of his fave all-time rock albums. i know another collector that likes the Uk plum pressing but admits its not a great recording.
    Rob

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    Gino Vannelli - Brother To Brother.

The US/CAN pressings are already very good, but much to my delight I just found an A&M Audiophile pressing in my Calgary stash. Totally forgot I even had this. Will bring it back when I return tomorrow.
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

Quote Originally Posted by jazdoc View Post

Some of these i have; I'd love to have the UK Island pressings of the early Tull records, but they are quite pricey. I'll have to check out the ones on your list that I don't think I have. I always found the Steve Wonder stuff on Tamla to sound a little 'closed in' or muffled. I was pleasantly surprised by the Talking Book reissue, which I think is 'new' MoFi.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whart View Post
    Some of these i have; I'd love to have the UK Island pressings of the early Tull records, but they are quite pricey. I'll have to check out the ones on your list that I don't think I have. I always found the Steve Wonder stuff on Tamla to sound a little 'closed in' or muffled. I was pleasantly surprised by the Talking Book reissue, which I think is 'new' MoFi.
    Silver MoFi....very, very nice indeed!
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast