Cables and the Peter Principle

Lefisc

Jul 13, 2013
Every once in a while, either on line or in person, I have been asked if wiring makes a difference and which wires are best. This is very bad because it assumes I know what I am talking about!!!

First off, I think cabling is the sales tax of stereos…it cost us money, but is never the reason we buy something.

But this subject has often turned into bitter arguments on line and, frankly, one of the reasons I had left posting. Recently, when I brought up the Cast/Transparent comparison it’s come up again. So let me give my point of view and all civil opinions are here are valid. And my real question is why is really good wire so expensive?

In the late 1980s two separate audio dealers told me why the new expensive wires were beginning to be pushed. In their previous life, dealers sold stereo system with record players and stylus and needles were often their biggest profit points. When CD overwhelmed the market, dealers looked for a profit point and that turned out to be wiring, mostly Monster Cable at that time. Dealers got nearly 50% of the msrp (and sometimes more) from the sale.

I learned my biggest lesson at that point: Stereos sounded better with ONE brand of wires on them, not several. You see, when you transfer energy from one kind to another, electrical to sound, there are rules of physics that cannot be discarded:
1. You can’t win. You can never get more energy than what you started out with. So music will never sound “better” than the original source.
2. You lose. Since you will always lose some energy, the sound will always be degraded at least a little.
3. Every part of the equation, even the “catalyst” the wire effect the outcome. In my opinion, wiring will act as a filter for the electricity that will create sound. So when you have one brand of wire you, in effect, have one filter. When you use different brands use several filters and the sounds eclipsed in several areas

I am often alternately amused and then discouraged when someone has three or four brands on their system and tries one new brand, but still has three different types of wires and says he can’t hear the difference. Of course not.

For the next part, let’s pretend we have 11 sound rooms. In the first we have real music: Jazz, classical, rock whatever.

In the next room let’s pretend we have your parent’s stereo, the one you grew up with. And in every succeeding room we have another stereo system that’s better until we get to the tenth and final room where we have the best sounding system available today.

Many people who have systems in the 5- 6-7 rooms sometimes don’t get that if they exchanged wires with the people in room 10 that their system won’t sound better or very different. This is because their system is not capable of sounding different. The wiring they have may be perfectly suited and priced for that sound. That is, I don’t think my bedroom Marantz 8002 will sound better with the top of the line MIT wires.

However a stereo chain is as strong as its weakest link and it is probable that the person in room ten will NOT have as good a sound if he took the wires out of room 5. It’s funny, if I said that about a CD player being changed from rooms 5 and 10 no one would argue, but if you say that about wiring people have strong opinions.

The best way to determine wiring is to sample it. And you sample better and better wire for you system until you hear no difference. This is the Peter Principal of wiring. You stop when it no longer improves. http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/peter-principle.asp

You could start off with the Acme Reference, the put on the Acme Deluxe Reference, than the Acme Super-Deluxe Reference, then the Acme Super Duper Opus Reference until the next step gives you nothing. Of course when you sample it you need two sets: one for the component to preamp and another pre-amp to amp. Since speaker wire is a slightly different animal, you have to sample which one goes best with your interconnects. I have usually used the same company for both.

You may try other brands. The sad truth today is that stereo stores are fewer and fewer and it’s really hard to sample these expensive components. For me, I did stop where I felt there was no difference, many years ago. But companies do improve their wiring and the sound, my sound can get better with more recent cables.

If you have done this and feel that the added time and money is not worth it, you’re right. And if you tried this and you discovered that better (higher priced?) wiring sounds better, you’re right too! It’s all up to you.

If you are not convinced by your own ears, don’t let anyone else convince you.

Last edited:

theophile

My thoughts:

The worlds best power outlets, power cable, interconnect and speaker wire cannot make the world's worst components suddenly sound excellent. The world's best components may not sound their best with bog ordinary power outlets, power cable, interconnect and speaker cable but the lack of great accessories won't cause the world's best to sound like the world's worst components. Think of a Lada 2109 with the best tyres that can be fitted or a Bugatti Veyron with the worst tyres that can be fitted. Which will be the better performer?

The cables need to be of a commensurate level of performance to suit the system they will be used in.

Obviously a very excellent system will have a standard of resolution which will reveal more about the accessories used. Hence the selection process will be more demanding and require at least one or more alternatives to be assessed. With a poor sounding system it might be difficult to discern much difference at all between accessories. Hence it might not be worthwhile seeking out a variety of alternatives.

The more experience one has about assessing one's systems absolute capability, the more one can keep a perspective on the contribution of accessories items.

andrewd

Jul 21, 2013
Barry, Excellent post.

I tend to agree with your point of view. In the early days when my system was a '4' I experimented with cables and they did not make a substantial difference. Later when my system is closer to a 7, I have been amazed by the differences cables made. In particular the combination of Kimber 3035 speaker cables and Palladin power cables was amazing. My perception was that the speaker cables didn't give all they were capable of without the power cables and vice versa. I since added Kimber Select interconnects (initially 1021, but lat upgraded to 1036) and these also made instantly noticeable improvements.

I didn't audition other brands of interconnects. I was so impressed with what the speaker/power cables did I just went with the same brand and dont feel disapointed. I suppose I subscribe to your recommendation to stick to one brand.

I can totally understand some skeptics view that cables are snake oil because of their experience with a particular cable in a particular system. My advice is to keep trying as the system gets better. Once you get near the high end, cables can make as big a difference as a box swap IMO. I also subscribe to the weakest link theory: if your speaker cables aren't up to scratch you will not hear differences in interconnects and so on.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
My thoughts:

The worlds best power outlets, power cable, interconnect and speaker wire cannot make the world's worst components suddenly sound excellent. The world's best components may not sound their best with bog ordinary power outlets, power cable, interconnect and speaker cable but the lack of great accessories won't cause the world's best to sound like the world's worst components. Think of a Lada 2109 with the best tyres that can be fitted or a Bugatti Veyron with the worst tyres that can be fitted. Which will be the better performer?

We seem to be re-visiting all the time-honored arguments these days. This is one of the best.

While this may belong in the hall of fame of audio/automotive metaphors, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree substantively and metaphorically. Metaphorically, the Veyron, with the worst tires that could be put on it, would be so grossly overpowered for the grip of that cheap rubber that it would either burn them off the rims at the starting line, or crash and burn in the first serious turn.

A well tuned Beetle would outrun it.

But even if you changed the analogy to be the Veyron with the best possible tires, it wouldn't be a very fitting analogy for a great system with expensive high-end cables. A more appropriate metaphor, I think, would be comparing a SOTA system, fitted with very expensive wires, to the Veyron, fitted with very expensive fuel lines. You begin with the stock lines, which are fully up to spec, up to the task of delivering absolutley as much fuel as the pump can push and the injectors can process. You replace them with solid silver, gold plated fuel lines wrapped in herringbone tweed silk and terminated with hand-engraved, ruby red annodized stainless steel nuts (add a couple of blue lights for good measure). And while the pump and the injectors still have the same capacities (capacities that were met by the stock lines), and while there is no substantive, verifiable science (or even logic) to say that any change in the fuel lines can affect those capacities, even while the top speed and acceleration of the Veyron remain measurably unchanged, you not only manage to believe the performance has improved, you believe that others have failed to experience the improvement because their cars aren't good enough. Stunning logic.

I know you "hear" it. There is gobs of good, solid, verifiable, repated, peer-reviewed science confirming both the reality and commonness of the phenomenon of expectation bias. The superiority of expensive cables? Nothin'. The explanations are all assumptions and imagination.

Occam's Razor.

Tim

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
We seem to be re-visiting all the time-honored arguments these days. This is one of the best.

While this may belong in the hall of fame of audio/automotive metaphors, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree substantively and metaphorically. Metaphorically, the Veyron, with the worst tires that could be put on it, would be so grossly overpowered for the grip of that cheap rubber that it would either burn them off the rims at the starting line, or crash and burn in the first serious turn.

A well tuned Beetle would outrun it.

But even if you changed the analogy to be the Veyron with the best possible tires, it wouldn't be a very fitting analogy for a great system with expensive high-end cables. A more appropriate metaphor, I think, would be comparing a SOTA system, fitted with very expensive wires, to the Veyron, fitted with very expensive fuel lines. You begin with the stock lines, which are fully up to spec, up to the task of delivering absolutley as much fuel as the pump can push and the injectors can process. You replace them with solid silver, gold plated fuel lines wrapped in herringbone tweed silk and terminated with hand-engraved, ruby red annodized stainless steel nuts (add a couple of blue lights for good measure). And while the pump and the injectors still have the same capacities (capacities that were met by the stock lines), and while there is no substantive, verifiable science (or even logic) to say that any change in the fuel lines can affect those capacities, even while the top speed and acceleration of the Veyron remain measurably unchanged, you not only manage to believe the performance has improved, you believe that others have failed to experience the improvement because their cars aren't good enough. Stunning logic.

I know you "hear" it. There is gobs of good, solid, verifiable, repated, peer-reviewed science confirming both the reality and commonness of the phenomenon of expectation bias. The superiority of expensive cables? Nothin'. The explanations are all assumptions and imagination.

Occam's Razor.

Tim

What he said!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Barry, Excellent post.

I tend to agree with your point of view. In the early days when my system was a '4' I experimented with cables and they did not make a substantial difference. Later when my system is closer to a 7, I have been amazed by the differences cables made. In particular the combination of Kimber 3035 speaker cables and Palladin power cables was amazing. My perception was that the speaker cables didn't give all they were capable of without the power cables and vice versa. I since added Kimber Select interconnects (initially 1021, but lat upgraded to 1036) and these also made instantly noticeable improvements.

I didn't audition other brands of interconnects. I was so impressed with what the speaker/power cables did I just went with the same brand and dont feel disapointed. I suppose I subscribe to your recommendation to stick to one brand.

I can totally understand some skeptics view that cables are snake oil because of their experience with a particular cable in a particular system. My advice is to keep trying as the system gets better. Once you get near the high end, cables can make as big a difference as a box swap IMO. I also subscribe to the weakest link theory: if your speaker cables aren't up to scratch you will not hear differences in interconnects and so on.

Nice to read some interesting posts about cables from you and other posters. I also have a lot of praise to refer about the great sounding Kimber KS1036-KS1136 interconnects.

The KS1136 and the matching KS3038 are some of the cables I would use to show people that cables can really make a difference. I once compared for sometime the same system using the Kimbers or the full set of Shunyata Orion- Antares. The auditions were not blind, and there was no one from the academy of sciences to witness it :) but the results were really interesting. After listening to both using the same Mozart piece a good non audiophile but music lover friend just told he wanted a cable having the best of both : the detail, definition and dynamics of the Kimber's and the rhythm and envelopment of the Shunyata's.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I recently changed from all Kimber (Hero and 8TC) to all Cardas (Neutral Reference). Despite my innate skepticism about cables significantly affecting the sound, I've been much happier with my system's overall sound. Of course, it could just be expectation bias, but if it gives me more enjoyment who cares?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I recently changed from all Kimber (Hero and 8TC) to all Cardas (Neutral Reference). Despite my innate skepticism about cables significantly affecting the sound, I've been much happier with my system's overall sound. Of course, it could just be expectation bias, but if it gives me more enjoyment who cares?

Your accountant? Seriously, if you're enjoying yourself, have at it.

Tim

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
...but if it gives me more enjoyment who cares?

I do! Because I want you to have the enjoyment without making someone who contrives cables for a living even richer.

And also, the Emperor's New Clothes syndrome works both ways and is infectious. Your happiness (as reported here) is making other people unhappy. Even now, someone's hand is twitching in readiness to order some Cardas cables (whatever they are), and I'll bet they're expensive.... :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I do! Because I want you to have the enjoyment without making someone who contrives cables for a living even richer.
(...)

I respect your posts, but could you create a thread for your generous intentions and let people who have different opinions on cable sound keep this one on their preferred subject?

If everyone who feels the same about expensive sources and electronics would believe like the anti cable brigade we could rename WBF just What is the best speaker and room: WBSR

Lefisc

Jul 13, 2013
I am disappointed in Groucho’s response. Frankly, it’s the type of thing I hoped we get away from here.

“I do! Because I want you to have the enjoyment without making someone who contrives cables for a living even richer.”

At first, this response shows a control issue. He (Groucho) knows more than the original poster. Groucho is not giving an opinion; he is taking control of the issue, eliminating someone’s choice and putting down the original Poster.

Rbbert gave the type of post I enjoy and look forward to. He told his preferences, let us know what worked for him (and what may work for us) and gave a great conclusion, “if it gives me more enjoyment who cares?” It’s his personal choice, AND it works.

But Groucho says, “Your happiness (as reported here) is making other people unhappy.” That is outrageous and rude and, again, demonstrates someone who needs to be in control of this issue. Why should Rbbert use of wires make you unhappy? You are taking away Rbbert’s right to choose, which implies that you are smarter than him, smarter than anyone…or everyone.

The phrase “Emperor's New Clothes syndrome” is demeaning to people who don’t share your opinion. To say that someone who trusts Rbbert evaluation and who like to try something that works for others has “twitching” hands is disparaging to someone who trusts Rbbert and not you.

You may certainly state how you fee and what works (or doesn’t) for you. However, if you wish to put down other peoples choices, or eliminate them, do what Miscrostrip suggests and start your own thread. Maybe on a different site.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Micro said --

I respect your posts, but could you create a thread for your generous intentions and let people who have different opinions on cable sound keep this one on their preferred subject?

In a thread called "cables and the Peter principle," in which, once again, the failure of the rational,to hear that which is unlikely, illogical and unverifiable is blamed on the inadequacy of their listening experience? No. You won't be left alone with that. It was a shot across the bow.

Tim

Last edited:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I thought Groucho's reply civil, a bit humerous...

Your original post included this: "So let me give my point of view and all civil opinions are here are valid. And my real question is why is really good wire so expensive?"

Did you mean, only opinions supporting your opinion that cables, and in particular high-end cables, make a difference?

I will suggest some reasons and try not to stray into my innate skepticism on cables. In random order (i.e. as I thought of them):

1. Custom cable costs more even in bulk, driving up the base price of the cable. Then add custom marking etc.
  2. Overhead in R&D and marketing (advertising etc.)
  3. Relatively small-volume sales (few can afford very expensive cables), again driving up the manufacturing cost and increasing overhead relative to sales.
  4. Specialized materials cost more, both for the material itself and to insert it into the manufacturing process.
  5. Custom wire bundles and shield wraps etc. may also cost more, as do extra shielding layers and so forth.
  6. Some manufacturing may be non-standard, such as flat wires, and thus incur additional production costs.
  7. Like it or not, perception and "what the market will bear" enters into the cost of anything, whether fine wine, expensive cigars or audio cables.

I am sure there are lots more, hopefully that's a start.

IMO - Don

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I thought Groucho's reply civil, a bit humerous...

Your original post included this: "So let me give my point of view and all civil opinions are here are valid. And my real question is why is really good wire so expensive?"

Did you mean, only opinions supporting your opinion that cables, and in particular high-end cables, make a difference?

I will suggest some reasons and try not to stray into my innate skepticism on cables. In random order (i.e. as I thought of them):

1. Custom cable costs more even in bulk, driving up the base price of the cable. Then add custom marking etc.
  2. Overhead in R&D and marketing (advertising etc.)
  3. Relatively small-volume sales (few can afford very expensive cables), again driving up the manufacturing cost and increasing overhead relative to sales.
  4. Specialized materials cost more, both for the material itself and to insert it into the manufacturing process.
  5. Custom wire bundles and shield wraps etc. may also cost more, as do extra shielding layers and so forth.
  6. Some manufacturing may be non-standard, such as flat wires, and thus incur additional production costs.
  7. Like it or not, perception and "what the market will bear" enters into the cost of anything, whether fine wine, expensive cigars or audio cables.

I am sure there are lots more, hopefully that's a start.

IMO - Don

8) The markup on high-end cable is enough to embarrass a jeweler.

Tim

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
8) The markup on high-end cable is enough to embarrass a jeweler.

Tim

But at least there is no price fixing like diamonds. Never mind the political ramifications that it causes. Sometimes you'd think that was the case with some of the discussions about cables! ;)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I am disappointing in Groucho’s response. Frankly, it’s the type of thing I hoped we get away from here.

“I do! Because I want you to have the enjoyment without making someone who contrives cables for a living even richer.”

At first, this response shows a control issue. He (Groucho) knows more than the original poster. Groucho is not giving an opinion; he is taking control of the issue, eliminating someone’s choice and putting down the original Poster.

Rbbert gave the type of post I enjoy and look forward to. He told his preferences, let us know what worked for him (and what may work for us) and gave a great conclusion, “if it gives me more enjoyment who cares?” It’s his personal choice, AND it works.

But Groucho says, “Your happiness (as reported here) is making other people unhappy.” That is outrageous and rude and, again, demonstrates someone who needs to be in control of this issue. Why should Rbbert use of wires make you unhappy? You are taking away Rbbert’s right to choose, which implies that you are smarter than him, smarter than anyone…or everyone.

The phrase “Emperor's New Clothes syndrome” is demeaning to people who don’t share your opinion. To say that someone who trusts Rbbert evaluation and who like to try something that works for others has “twitching” hands is disparaging to someone who trusts Rbbert and not you.

You may certainly state how you fee and what works (or doesn’t) for you. However, if you wish to put down other peoples choices, or eliminate them, do what Miscrostrip suggests and start your own thread. Maybe on a different site.

I agree with your post. I could't care less whether my purchases or preferences might make someone else unhappy. Whether I prefer cable A versus cable B is just as personal a choice as when we select a type of speaker, digital versus analog, tubes versus solid state or having a pre-amp or not.

Lefisc

Jul 13, 2013
Don,

Shakespeare wrote, “Nothing is neither good nor bad but thinking makes it so.”

I am afraid that I might not fully understand your question, so I might give a bad answer. Let me know if I am on the right track.

What I hoped to get across is not that one type of wire or another is better. I did not say that “high end cables” were universally better, although many perceive or believe that. I do believe that some cables are better than others and cabling makes a difference, often a big one.

I just wanted to ask was basically, “What’s in a ten thousand dollar wire” that makes it so expensive? What materials go into it, what research has been done? Can that same wire be produced for much less money? You gave some reasons for the expense, but I still don’t get it.

You wrote that I said something that meant, “only opinions supporting (my) opinion.” No, that is not at all what I wanted to write. I regret that you saw it that way. I was trying to say that if you try wires and you find the one you like use it no matter what anyone tries to convince you. Some will tell you less expensive ones are as good or better, some will say more expensive ones are the best and others stick to a certain brand.

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
@Lefisc

I am sorry to have disappointed you. I was replying to a post that ended

Of course, it could just be expectation bias, but if it gives me more enjoyment who cares?

so I thought this gave me licence to pick up on that particular point in a hopefully not-too-serious way.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Don,

Shakespeare wrote, “Nothing is neither good nor bad but thinking makes it so.”

I just wanted to ask was basically, “What’s in a ten thousand dollar wire” that makes it so expensive? What materials go into it, what research has been done? Can that same wire be produced for much less money? You gave some reasons for the expense, but I still don’t get it.

I am an engineer, have not read Shakespeare since HS 35+ years ago. Not sure I completely understand his point, nor agree, but not relevant here. I do know he was joking when he said "First, kill all the lawyers!"

What reasons do you not get? I covered all I could think about off-the-cuff. Small volume from small companies with high overhead (in R&D and marketing) coupled with market perception is most likely what sets their price. I seriously doubt there's a lot of manufacturing cost in a $10k cable but I do not know. Details about specific materials and manufacturing are probably proprietary to the companies, not too mention (so I shall) their operating cost and profit margins. Most audio companies have white papers that address the "why should I pay $10k for this cable?" question. I tend to find them lacking in technical details, but that is not what sells cables -- perception and sound, do.

All IMO - Don

Lefisc

Jul 13, 2013
"Shakespeare had one of his characters state ''Let's kill all the lawyers,'' it was the corrupt, unethical lawyers he was referring to. Shakespeare's exact line ''The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers,'' was stated by Dick the Butcher in ''Henry VI,'' Part II, act IV, Scene II, Line 73. Dick the Butcher was a follower of the rebel Jack Cade, who thought that if he disturbed law and order, he could become king. Shakespeare meant it as a compliment to attorneys and judges who instill justice in society."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing